gel blast 2 or 3

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by ormy4, Jul 30, 2010.

1. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

My blade 2 are starting to wear out a bit so want to buy a backup pair. Gel Blast series look interesting and the blast 3 is currently out but people say the blast 2 is better so interested to hear people's opinions. Have a chance to snag a pair of Blast 2 so want to
    see if a better way to go. If people are familiar with the blast and the blade 2 or blade 3 would love to know which they feel is better for badminton.

Thanks in advance. :D

2. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

Hi there,
    What did you take? I also have the Blade 2 and I was really happy with them. The best untill yet. As the cushioning gel is almost gone I have to buy a new pair and I am looking for the Sensei, Blast or again Blade :)
    I would like to try out he Li-ning but in Belgium, Europe it's hard to get.

3. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

For sheer performance and grip the Blade 3 is noticeable better than the Blast 2. There are a few upgrades to the new Blade 3 including better ventilation so yes Blade 3 is now in my opinion the best no nonsense badminton shoe from Asics. Trick like every thing else that you order the right size and it is the right width.

Blast 2 is better in terms of comfort and would be good for other sports as well. For folks with bad knee's and just out to have fun would be a solid choice. It is a great shoe but were talking badminton here so Blade 3 wins out as your faster around the court, grip is outstanding, and ventilation is well done. Bought them for under 100.00 cdn shipped so
    great value for a well made shoe.

So Blade 3 > Blade 2 > Blast 2

:D

4. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

I need new shoes and I'm not sure enough to get me new Blade3's. I always think there is better...

5. dolbydj

dolbydj Regular Member

Supplies
    I just got the Asics Blast 3 and they are not quite as quick as the Yonex Shb100, but have more cushioning than Yonex on the heelstrike. I find the grip on both the Blast and 1130 are very good. I was disappointed in the Shb101. It was harder than any of my previous Yonex shoes and less grippy. aug15 052.jpg
    frankie1 064.jpg

6. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    do u try out gel-volley cross2 ?

7. dolbydj

dolbydj Regular Member

Supplies
    I wanted to get the Gel Volleycross 1, but they didn't have my size and the 2 isn't in stock yet at www.canuckstuff.com, where I normally go. The Volleycross are definately lighter, but the mesh around the forefoot doesn't really cradle the foot on quick transitions.
    After playing with the Blast for 10 hours, they are ok. There is a lot of extraneous detail on the shoe that makes it feel a little heavy at the heel as opposed to the toe, which leaves it a bit off balance. The insole is also too smooth, so I am going to switch to Yonex insoles to try and get more grip. It is hard to explain, but I can "feel" a lot of the Asics technology in the shoe as opposed to an older Yonex Shb755sp. Having said that, you might want to go with the Gel Blade if you want a premium Asics badminton shoe. For pure performance, I like the Yonex Shb98 or Shb100 the best

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

How about sizing problem? do you use the same size for both Yonex and Asics?

9. dolbydj

dolbydj Regular Member

Supplies
    I found the Asics volleyball shoes to be 1/2 size larger than Yonex and also a bit wider. The Gel Blade is a narrow shoe though.

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

i see. Actually i want to get the gel blade, should i go for 1/2 smaller or the same size as YY??
    BTW, you have nice shoes collection there

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D Good luck. I tried on the Sensei's one and those are narrow as well. Narrow for one might be normal for another (we need more actual measurement in these reviews instead of subjective terms ;))

12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

So may i conclude that if one has wider foot and opt for narrow shoes the he/she should go 1/2 size bigger, is that correct? My feet is about 26cm long and 10cm wide, is this considered wide? (i hope not hahahaha). I use Asics size 44 shoes for running and have tried YY size 43, both feel very nice (YY size 44 is too big for me). So now im a bit worry of ordering Asics Gel Blade from online shop since im not sure what size is right for me.

So if any of BCer have experienced using both Asics and YY shoes for comparison, it will be very helpful.

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You should check how many cm the tag in your shoe or on your box is. I think that is more accurate than comparing size 44 of one brand to 44 of another brand. They say how long your foot is is what your shoe size should be (with socks on). (my feet are longer +1 and wider +1 than what you describe and have YY size 43 as well, can put/(squeeze :D) a finger in behind [but with medium-thin to thin socks] wonder how much room you have left!?) Looks like 26.5/42 should be better. The asics I tried were 42.5 and I think 43 would be the correct length but they were out of that size, perhaps to compensate the narrowness a 43.5 but better to find a wider model. Think the next ones for me will be the widest model Yonex has to offer, probably 81 or otherwise 200JP but may try the local 91's or 92 for comparison first (to 65CF).

#13 demolidor, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

"Looks like 26.5cm should be better" + 1/2 a size perhaps depending on preference ...

#14 demolidor, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Thanks for sharing demolidor, you helped a lot. I tested on a few shoes and 28cm is definately too big for me (i can put a finger in easily), and correctly measure its 26cm without socks but adding 1cm to that would be my safest bet, I think i will go for 27cm.

16. gopes

gopes New Member

Student
  17. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant

i am using asics shoes for 3 mths now.
    no doubt their cushioning was the best of the best due to thicker foam.
    due to much thicker foam, u hardly feel the floor with your feet during movement.

however i found my foot step movement was slower due to these reaction.
    what your comment? i mean those asics user...

18. djkalai

djkalai Regular Member

Student
    so guys , wic one is beter ? gel blade 3 or blast 3?

19. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Got both Blast3 and Blade 3, I use blast for doubles , it had better cushioning and blade for singles ..abit quicker and lighter but not as comfortable when landing from jump smash