How to Improve Drop Shots? When and how to use them?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KYW917, Jul 30, 2010.

1. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

*I apologize in advance if some of my terminology isn't too professional"

I don't have much power, so usually I choose to play a drop shot if I am given the chance.
    I've been on the school team 2 years, and I plan on trying out again.

I have never had any formal training, and I just try to learn from others or just from playing.

About 20% of the time, my drop shots are good, just barely clearing or even grazing the net.
    About 50% of the time, however, my drop shots will be a few inches above the net, and fly far too long before hitting the ground.
    And 30% of the time, my shots never even make it over. :(

Sometimes, I choose the wrong time to drop, and my opponent just easily hits it over my head, and I can only make a weak return, usually resulting me in losing the point.

Also, what drop shots should I use in certain situations?
    I usually just do a regular drop, but sometimes if I'm at one side of the court, I'll try and drop it cross court
    And, what is a spinning net shot and how can I do it?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

If you want to be any threat to your opponent, you'll need to have variety and deception.

If all you do is drop shots, then your opponent will learn to hang around the net and kill your drops. So you'll need to have some clears, drives, pushes, smashes, etc. to keep him on his toes.

Deception comes from varying your power and angles when using exactly the same strokes.

3. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

Oh, I mix it up. I learned that after everybody thought I was going to drop it.
    My smashes and clears are nothing amazing, but they get the job done.

I just want to improve my drops so I'll be able to actually win the point with the drop, or get a return that is easy for me to hit.

4. DanhNguyen5.3

DanhNguyen5.3 Regular Member

I remember when I was at yoru level of gameplay ( but I always had a good smash ) dont worry you'll get the different variety of gameplay

5. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member

How much power do you have? Are you able to do a baseline clear?

Here's where I'm a bit confused. If you're doing a drop shot from the baseline, then a shot that goes over your head would probably go out, right? Unless you rush forward, which you shouldn't do. Or you're doing a drop shot from somewhere mid-court, in which case you should have enough time to move backward, but your return is weak. So you must be dropping from mid-court, yes? And you must be playing singles, right? Otherwise your partner would take the shot.

For the drop to be effective, you need to work on your power. Let's take your case. You do a drop, opponent lifts over your head. You'll need to move back, do a clear to the baseline, pushing your opponent to the back, and so on.

When taking a shuttle at the net, you put enough spin /slice on the shuttle so that it tumbles over the net. Less difficult if you take the shuttle early.

#5 ixoye, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  6. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member

I just noticed that I didn't answer your main questions. Ooops!

How to improve your drop shot?

Learn to do power shots. You'll realize that a drop shot is a power shot minus the power. So to speak. Then practice, practice, practice.

When and how to use them?

The drop shot isn't meant to win points. It's one use is to get the short lift, setting you up for the kill. Which needs power. Another is deception. Another is to get you out of trouble. And there are other uses which you'll figure out as you go along.

To be able to actually win the point with the drop, or get a return that is easy to hit, you need to show your opponent that you have enough power to win the point if he defends from mid-court. Get it?

#6 ixoye, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  7. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

Haha, yep. I guess I just have to work on getting back to do a high clear.
    What should I do if my opponent plays a drop though? Drop it back or clear it?

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is a spinning netshot: (at least some of them are... ;) )

[video=youtube;JMrCxszsbMg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMrCxszsbMg[/video]

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Before going fancy, you need to practice on your consistancy. Even if say you can only perform 1 type of drop stroke, make it work in a constant way, is much more important than doing 10 different tricky, well none of them work better than 30%.

2. Execute your drop, when opponents have the least chance to return, usually means they are either far back from the net, or already off balance. Unless you have a perfect stroke, an opponent well positioned him/herself in the front will automatically add pressue for you to execute a good drop.

10. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member

Eh, a little terminology lesson to avoid confusion. Your opponent drops the shuttle from baseline, or somewhere thereabouts, and your return is either a net shot (most people say drop, which makes it confusing) or a lift (not clear).

It really depends on you and your opponent. You: are you early or late to the shuttle? Your opponent: what he does after he drops, strength or weakness, things like that.

#10 ixoye, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Terminology lesson to avoid confusion

Agree, we need a terminology lesson to avoid confusion about strokes/shots in this discussion/thread.

Terminology used can vary in different countries and/or used by different coaches.
    Let me state some which I use in my coaching session (from Melbourne, Australia).

But before we talk about strokes and shots, we also need to have a clearer terminology on these 2 items.

For me, I use this terminology, namely;
    * Stroke = How a player executes a shot. It relates to our stroke production. It describes our body action.
    * Shot = How the shuttlecock travels. It describes the trajectory of the path taken by the shuttlecock.

Now, we need to name 3 areas of the court, namely;
    * Fore Court = The area between the service line and the net
    * Back Tram Lines = The area between the last 2 lines at the back of the court
    * Mid Court = The area between the Fore Court and the Back Tram Lines

OK, now we shall talk about the name of the various shots (again to remind our readers that this is only my terminology).
    * Dropshot = An overhead shot played to land in my opponent's Fore Court
    * Netplay = A shot played at about net height (at my Fore Court) to land in my opponent Fore Court
    * Clear = An overhead shot played/hit high to land in my opponent's Back Tram Lines
    * Lift = An underarm shot played/hit high to land in my opponent's Back Tram Lines

Now we shall talk about when and how to use them. The use of our different shots will depend on the strengths and weaknesses of our opponents.

We should use more Dropshots and Netplays, if;
    * Our opponent is slow in his/her footwork in running forward
    * Our opponent is weak in his/her Netplay
    * When our opponent is not near the net
    * etc, etc, ...

On the other hand, we should use more Clears and Lifts, if;
    * Our opponent is slow in his/her footwork in running backward
    * Our opponent is weak in his/her Overhead strokes
    * When our opponent is near the net
    * etc, etc, ...

Hope that my info/suggestions are clear; and not caused more confusion in this discussion/thread. :):):)

#11 chris-ccc, Aug 2, 2010
  12. Kevin17

Kevin17 New Member

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing up the terms. :D

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

One thing to consider is that, after playing a drop shot, you have less time to recover than when you play a clear. For this reason, drop shots are usually reserved for when you are relatively well positioned. They can be considered a somewhat more aggressive shot than a clear.

There are other tactical applications, however, such as a drive drop shot when forced deep into your backhand corner. This is a defensive shot.

You may want to take a look at my singles tactics article for more details. In particular, check out the page on drop shots.

#13 Gollum, Aug 2, 2010
  14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter