User Tag List

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THE FART

When a player puts extreme effort into a shot and accidentally passes wind, often putting their partner off.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal View Post
    THE FART

When a player puts extreme effort into a shot and accidentally passes wind, often putting their partner off.
    LOL. That's a funny term.

Probably, it's best to place it in our BC Jokes thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the past, i browsed some webs in searching for the terms on badminton but got a few of them. after all, as for me, english is not my mother tongue, i couldn't translated the chinese articls into english well. so, i was ever confused with it long. to my joy, i get some here and share with the netizens. thanks a lot to the thread and the posts.
    i am looking for the following reply to help the chris-ccc perfect the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Push = Movement with a constant speed with the swing of the racket-head
    er?
    in chinese, a push shot is not expained like this, in general, pushes are divided into two types, underarm push and overarm push, according to the height of the return of shuttle at midcourt or near the net, and, based on the concrete situations, you can choose a gentle action or a sudden action with rotation of the wrist to push the shuttle.
    the most important, you'd better grasp the oppotunity as you can, ensure the height of shuttle, push the shuttle by overarm push, and get a good effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sange View Post
    ...in chinese, a push shot is not expained like this, in general, pushes are divided into two types, underarm push and overarm push, according to the height of the return of shuttle at midcourt or near the net, and, based on the concrete situations, you can choose a gentle action or a sudden action with rotation of the wrist to push the shuttle.
    I think gentle action=push and sudden action=drive.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Badminton Strokes/Shots that we wish to know

Quote Originally Posted by sange View Post
    in the past, i browsed some webs in searching for the terms on badminton but got a few of them. after all, as for me, english is not my mother tongue, i couldn't translated the chinese articls into english well. so, i was ever confused with it long. to my joy, i get some here and share with the netizens. thanks a lot to the thread and the posts.
    i am looking for the following reply to help the chris-ccc perfect the thread.
    Hi sange,

Please feel free to add more Badminton terms for us, BCers.

Do post some of the Chinese articles. You'll never know, other BCers could translate them.

Also, correct translation is not as important as the idea/description of the various Badminton Strokes/Shots that we wish to know.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow The pushshot is a gentle but accurate shot often used in Doubles

Quote Originally Posted by alexh View Post
    I think gentle action=push and sudden action=drive.
    Correct. That's what I meant.

The pushshot is a gentle but accurate shot often used in Doubles.

It is directed to an area that causes trouble as to whom of the opponent partners is best to return it. It is to cause hesitation between them partners; And by the time it is returned, their late return is usually not a good one.
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 02-13-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahah there's sooo many posts! I'm wondering were the terms "Tapping" and "flick" mentioned?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Comment on these 2 terms - "Tap" and "Flick"

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Gen View Post
    Hahah there's sooo many posts! I'm wondering were the terms "Tapping" and "flick" mentioned?
    Hoping that you can contribute; To comment/inform us on these 2 terms - "Tap" and "Flick".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alrighty, I'll try my best to explain The tap is basically the same as the Net Kill while the flick is a flat shot executed at the net area that travels in a flat manner, in a way it's like a very flat lift in the forecourt~

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Tap, Kill and Flick

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Gen View Post
    Alrighty, I'll try my best to explain The tap is basically the same as the Net Kill while the flick is a flat shot executed at the net area that travels in a flat manner, in a way it's like a very flat lift in the forecourt~
    For me, the following terms have these meaning:

* Tap = A softer, but a controlled stroke.
    * Kill = A hard-hitting downward "wild" stroke.
    * Flick = An upward wrist stroke (directing the shuttlecock higher than horizontal - at any degrees with an upward elevation).

For the flat shot executed that travels in a flat manner, I use the terms:-
    "Dab" (when executed in front of one's body), and
    "Drive" (when executed from either sides of one's body).

Yes, our Badminton terms usage can be very different worldwide. That's why I started this thread. As mentioned in Post #1 :

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    The intention of this thread to talk about the terminology used in different countries and/or used by different coaches.
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 02-21-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no pro. But it's the 1st time i heard something call 'dab'

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Shots from in front of their bodies in a flat manner just over the net-tape

Quote Originally Posted by M3Series View Post
    I'm no pro. But it's the 1st time i heard something call 'dab'
    '
    Nice.

When Doubles players are doing their warm-up before their match, they spend some time sharpening their shots executed from in front of their bodies in a flat manner just over the net-tape back and forth; In Malaysia, what do you call that stroke?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. Like I said, I'm no pro. Drives maybe ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Drives and Dabs

Quote Originally Posted by M3Series View Post
    I don't know. Like I said, I'm no pro. Drives maybe ?
    Yes, many BCers call them "Drives".

But here, we distinguish between the strokes taken whether in front of one's body, and/or from the side of one's body.

As a professional coach, I tell my trainees the "Dab" is a very useful shot to be used in Doubles. They spend much time to get to train to play it well (with maximum power).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Some one has brush, same?

Brush - a soft brushing shot. 2 opposing players are challenging each other at netplay (it reminds me of a Table Tennis shot). it is great to brush the shuttlecock over the net quickly. It is also possible to brush the feathers (not necessarily the cork) to send the shuttlecock over the net.

maybe when follow through over the net is the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    We shall add in the term "Swipe" to our list.

What is a "Swipe"?

For me, a "Swipe" is a sweeping blow or stroke executed during 'Dribble', when 2 opposing players are challenging each other in their fore courts'.

A "Swipe" is a stroke striking the shuttlecock with a follow-through of the racket-head over the net into the opponent's court. Note: The point of impact with the shuttlecock has to be on your side of the net.

We shall place this term into our alphabetical list.

================================================

* Alley = The area between the tram lines (the 2 side lines and/or the 2 back lines).
    * Around-the-Head Forehand Shot = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a forehand grip.
    * Back Tram Lines = The area between the last 2 lines at the back of the court.
    * Base Position = (For Singles Games) is the middle position between the net and the back line, and the middle position between the side lines.
    * Block = A shot hit by a racket-head swung with little or no movement at all. A Block Return of a Smash is most common.
    * Boleh = "Yes, we can" in Malaysian. It is yelled/cheered to players to encourage them to play better.
    * Bounce = A Dribble when we meet the shuttlecock 10cm below the net tape.
    * Carry = A scooping action on a shuttlecock during a stroke production. Some Australians call it a "Scoop".
    * Clear = Any shot played high (higher than the racket head held high) to our opponent.
    * Cut = Slice; A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock.
    * Deception = To fool and/or to wrong foot our opponent. Make him/her think we are executing this shot when we are playing another shot.
    * Defensive Clear = An overhead or underarm Clear executed to our opponent's Back Tram Lines; allowing us more time to return to our base position.
    * Dribble = Any shot played from ones' own forecourt to the opponents' forecourt with the shuttle passing in close proximity to the net tape.
    * Drill = A repetitious exercise as a means of learning and perfecting our skills (strokes, footwork, etc, ...).
    * Drive Return of Smash = A shot driven back quickly before our opponent is ready to intercept or to return it.
    * Drive Service = A Service that is hit hard and fast, hoping to pass past a receiver before he/she is ready to intercept it.
    * Dropshot = A shot played from our overhead position to the Fore Court of our opponent's court.
    * Fancy Play/Trick = A hit/shot done with unusual style (or strange shot).
    * Floating Base = The base area considered as best for us to get to the corners (in time), before the shuttlecock travels there.
    * Fore Court = The area between the service line and the net.
    * Jia You = "Add Fuel" in Chinese (Mandarin). It is yelled/cheered to players to become stronger physically and mentally.
    * Kill = Hitting the shuttlecock in a downward direction to opponent's court with maximum power hoping to finish a rally.
    * Lift = A Clear which is played from an underarm stroke.
    * Mid Court = The area between the Fore Court and the Back Tram Lines.
    * Overhead Backhand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a backhand grip.
    * Overhead Forehand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head with a forehand grip.
    * Overhead Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head.
    * Punch Clear = An overhead Clear executed to just clear over the highest reach that can be met by our opponent.*
    * Push = A shot hit by a racket-head swung at constant velocity. A Doubles Low Service can be performed with a Push.
    * Service = The first stroke or shot played in a rally.
    * Shadow Badminton = A drill performed without using the shuttlecock.
    * Shot = How the shuttlecock travels. It describes the trajectory of the path taken by the shuttlecock.
    * Slice = A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock. Slice Smash and Slice Dropshot are most common.
    * Sliced Flat Clear = A Punch Clear executed with spin to the shuttlecock; to slow it down quicker after passing over the receiver.
    * Sliced Smash = A smash by hitting at the side of the shuttlecock (to cause the feathers to rotate); causing it to dip down quicker.
    * Spinning Netplay = A shot played near the net to our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to spin (rotating) over the net.
    * Stick Smash = A Smash generated by the wrist with little arm movement involved.
    * Stroke = How a player executes a shot. It relates to our stroke production. It describes our body action.
    * Swipe = A sweeping blow or stroke striking the shuttlecock with a follow-through of the racket-head over the net into the opponent's court during the Dribble.
    * Tactics = The art of arranging one's game-play, in order to win or gain an advantage over one's opponents.
    * Tumble = A shot played near the net to the our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to somersault once or more times over the net.
    * Wall Drill = Drill for perfecting our strokes by hitting against the wall.
    * Wood Shot = When the shuttlecock is struck by the frame of the racket-head. "Frame Shot" is now gradually replacing this term.
    * XD Push Shot = Pushing the shuttlecock to the Side Tram Lines; directing it to fall between the front and the back players.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Brush

Quote Originally Posted by Fhuang1 View Post
    Brush - a soft brushing shot. 2 opposing players are challenging each other at netplay (it reminds me of a Table Tennis shot). it is great to brush the shuttlecock over the net quickly. It is also possible to brush the feathers (not necessarily the cork) to send the shuttlecock over the net.

maybe when follow through over the net is the difference.
    You are correct.

Thank you for reminding us about this 'Brush' stroke (while players are at netplay).

We shall add it in to our list of terms.
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 04-01-2014 at 02:02 AM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast