User Tag List

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 120 to 136 of 190
  1. #120
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,771
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Stick Smash

    Quote Originally Posted by lcleing View Post
    If I remember correctly, stick smash only involves very little arm movement. The power for the smash is mainly generated by snapping your wrist, more like 点杀 in chinese terminology. This shot emphasize more on placement rather than speed. Some people termed this as half smash but somehow I don't feel that is accurate. It might lack the wooping sound of full smash but it is by no means much slower that the full smash.

    This shot is mainly use to surprise your opponent and needs to be taken as high as possible to create the angle for effective 'wrist snapping'. Using the racket head to clip the shuttle in downward direction to generate the velocity to kill the shuttle fast.
    .
    Thanks for the info, lcleing.

    So, the Stick Smash = A Smash generated by the wrist with little arm movement involved.
    .

  2. #121
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,771
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Stick Smash

    .
    Today, I find time to add in the term "Stick Smash" in our list.

    * Alley = The area between the tram lines (the 2 side lines and/or the 2 back lines).
    * Around-the-Head Forehand Shot = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a forehand grip.
    * Back Tram Lines = The area between the last 2 lines at the back of the court
    * Base Position = (For Singles Games) is the middle position between the net and the back line, and the middle position between the side lines.
    * Block = A shot hit by a racket-head swung with little or no movement at all. A Block Return of a Smash is most common.
    * Boleh = "Yes, we can" in Malaysian. It is yelled/cheered to players to encourage them to play better.
    * Bounce = A Dribble when we meet the shuttlecock 10cm below the net tape.
    * Carry = A scooping action on a shuttlecock during a stroke production. Some Australians call it a "Scoop".
    * Clear = Any shot played high (higher than the racket head held high) to our opponent.
    * Cut = Slice; A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock.
    * Deception = To fool and/or to wrong foot our opponent. Make him/her think we are executing this shot when we are playing another shot.
    * Defensive Clear = An overhead or underarm Clear executed to our opponent's Back Tram Lines; allowing us more time to return to our base position.
    * Dribble = Any shot played from ones' own forecourt to the opponents' forecourt with the shuttle passing in close proximity to the net tape.
    * Drill = A repetitious exercise as a means of learning and perfecting our skills (strokes, footwork, etc, ...).
    * Drive Return of Smash = A shot driven back quickly before our opponent is ready to intercept or to return it.
    * Drive Service = A Service that is hit hard and fast, hoping to pass past a receiver before he/she is ready to intercept it.
    * Dropshot = A shot played from our overhead position to the Fore Court of our opponent's court.
    * Floating Base = The base area considered as best for us to get to the corners (in time), before the shuttlecock travels there.
    * Fore Court = The area between the service line and the net
    * Jia You = "Add Fuel" in Chinese (Mandarin). It is yelled/cheered to players to become stronger physically and mentally.
    * Kill = Hitting the shuttlecock in a downward direction to opponent's court with maximum power hoping to finish a rally.
    * Lift = A Clear which is played from an underarm stroke.
    * Mid Court = The area between the Fore Court and the Back Tram Lines
    * Overhead Backhand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a backhand grip.
    * Overhead Forehand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head with a forehand grip.
    * Overhead Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head.
    * Punch Clear = An overhead Clear executed to just clear over the highest reach that can be met by our opponent.*
    * Push = A shot hit by a racket-head swung at constant velocity. A Doubles Low Service can be performed with a Push.
    * Service = The first stroke or shot played in a rally.
    * Shadow Badminton = A drill performed without using the shuttlecock.
    * Shot = How the shuttlecock travels. It describes the trajectory of the path taken by the shuttlecock.
    * Slice = A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock. Slice Smash and Slice Dropshot are most common.
    * Sliced Smash = A smash by hitting at the side of the shuttlecock (to cause the feathers to rotate); causing it to dip down quicker.
    * Spinning Netplay = A shot played near the net to our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to spin (rotating) over the net.
    * Stick Smash = A Smash generated by the wrist with little arm movement involved.
    * Stroke = How a player executes a shot. It relates to our stroke production. It describes our body action.
    * Tactics = The art of arranging one's game-play, in order to win or gain an advantage over one's opponents.
    * Tumble = A shot played near the net to the our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to somersault once or more times over the net.
    * Wall Drill = Drill for perfecting our strokes by hitting against the wall.
    * Wood Shot = When the shuttlecock is struck by the frame of the racket-head. "Frame Shot" is now gradually replacing this term.
    * XD Push Shot = Pushing the shuttlecock to the Side Tram Lines; directing it to fall between the front and the back players.
    .

  3. #122
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,978
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    BTW: "stick" is an english word lol
    Yes, I'm anglicising the Danish, which I believe is written "stik smash".

    What does "stik" actually translate to in English? I've assumed "stick", but I could be horribly wrong...

  4. #123
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Stik vs. Stick

    Well I looked at some other material (E.g. the Danish "Badmintonbogen"), which agree with both Gollum's and lcleing's approach. Also it better fit with what I have original learned and how other DK players that I know use the term.

    Also I have found some other small mistakes for the first source I reffered to, and I have been told it was made in a rush, so I conclude that this materiale was, to express it nicely, not "precise" enough!
    Sorry for the confusion. I would though say that the term is a bit tricky, if you do 95%, 65% or 7,39226938151(lol)% of a full smash, when is it then a "Stik"smash!?

    Gollum: Concerning the translation of the term, then "Stik" can mean sereval things, so it could be misleading to translate it into stick, just like that!
    In English stick refer to some kind of relative long and narrow form, for instance made of wood!
    In Danish Stik can at least mean:

    (1a) Body, when the nurse put the needle in your skin, or if a bee bites/sting you, which makes this red scracthy thing on your skin!
    (1b) In relation to that, it is also used for emotions - somthing that hurts: a "Stik" in my heart...

    (2) Games, Playing cards or childrens memory game, in english I believe you call it a "trick"?

    (3) Orientation, Refering to a direction/line, like to get there you should go straight ahead(stik) (- in that direction).

    (4) Attitude - If you disagree, like having the exactly opposite opinion, Stik is used emphazise the diametrically aspect of it.

    (5) Electronics, a connector, plug, like the one you put into a power supply! In english I guess you use the term an "USB-stick", because of the form of these things, though in Danish we use the term "USB-Stik", because of the connector thing. But Danes very fast adopt from English, so because of this intervention, for the future I believe that Stik is more likely to include the meaning of a stick.

    (Well, this is not in the dictionary, but also a specific part of the male body, can be referred to as a Stik, not that common though, and I am not sure whether it refers to the form or the plug thing, lol.)

    Here you can find some examples of the use of the word: http://www.ordbogen.com/opslag.php?word=stik&dict=auto
    Last edited by Mikael; 01-10-2011 at 10:21 AM.

  5. #124
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,978
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    (1a) Body, when the nurse put the needle in your skin, or if a bee bites/sting you, which makes this red scracthy thing on your skin!
    (1b) In relation to that, it is also used for emotions - somthing that hurts: a "Stik" in my heart...
    Ah ha! That seems the most likely meaning: roughly speaking: "stik smash" = "sharp smash". It's describing the character of the technique, which is a shortened, sharp, sudden movement, as opposed to a longer, more powerful movement.

  6. #125
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default



    Hmm I could defend the term in relation to at least 1), 2) and 3) to some extent...
    Though I did not relate it to "sharp", that is an interesting veiw!
    Just to be sure concerning 1), "Stik" does not refer to the sharpness of the needle, but the little feeling you get as it meets the skin (prick)! Thereby the term does NOT automatically include the "shock" effect, that some people get, eventhough they know what is going to happen, lol.

    Also 2) is interesting, because it can relate to the use of it. You need to "pair" it to get the point! On the other hand it does not tells anything about the technical aspect!
    Last edited by Mikael; 01-11-2011 at 03:00 PM.

  7. #126
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    Today, I find time to add in the term "Stick Smash" in our list.

    * Alley = The area between the tram lines (the 2 side lines and/or the 2 back lines).
    * Around-the-Head Forehand Shot = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a forehand grip.
    * Back Tram Lines = The area between the last 2 lines at the back of the court
    * Base Position = (For Singles Games) is the middle position between the net and the back line, and the middle position between the side lines.
    * Block = A shot hit by a racket-head swung with little or no movement at all. A Block Return of a Smash is most common.
    * Boleh = "Yes, we can" in Malaysian. It is yelled/cheered to players to encourage them to play better.
    * Bounce = A Dribble when we meet the shuttlecock 10cm below the net tape.
    * Carry = A scooping action on a shuttlecock during a stroke production. Some Australians call it a "Scoop".
    * Clear = Any shot played high (higher than the racket head held high) to our opponent.
    * Cut = Slice; A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock.
    * Deception = To fool and/or to wrong foot our opponent. Make him/her think we are executing this shot when we are playing another shot.
    * Defensive Clear = An overhead or underarm Clear executed to our opponent's Back Tram Lines; allowing us more time to return to our base position.
    * Dribble = Any shot played from ones' own forecourt to the opponents' forecourt with the shuttle passing in close proximity to the net tape.
    * Drill = A repetitious exercise as a means of learning and perfecting our skills (strokes, footwork, etc, ...).
    * Drive Return of Smash = A shot driven back quickly before our opponent is ready to intercept or to return it.
    * Drive Service = A Service that is hit hard and fast, hoping to pass past a receiver before he/she is ready to intercept it.
    * Dropshot = A shot played from our overhead position to the Fore Court of our opponent's court.
    * Floating Base = The base area considered as best for us to get to the corners (in time), before the shuttlecock travels there.
    * Fore Court = The area between the service line and the net
    * Jia You = "Add Fuel" in Chinese (Mandarin). It is yelled/cheered to players to become stronger physically and mentally.
    * Kill = Hitting the shuttlecock in a downward direction to opponent's court with maximum power hoping to finish a rally.
    * Lift = A Clear which is played from an underarm stroke.
    * Mid Court = The area between the Fore Court and the Back Tram Lines
    * Overhead Backhand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a backhand grip.
    * Overhead Forehand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head with a forehand grip.
    * Overhead Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head.
    * Punch Clear = An overhead Clear executed to just clear over the highest reach that can be met by our opponent.*
    * Push = A shot hit by a racket-head swung at constant velocity. A Doubles Low Service can be performed with a Push.
    * Service = The first stroke or shot played in a rally.
    * Shadow Badminton = A drill performed without using the shuttlecock.
    * Shot = How the shuttlecock travels. It describes the trajectory of the path taken by the shuttlecock.
    * Slice = A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock. Slice Smash and Slice Dropshot are most common.
    * Sliced Smash = A smash by hitting at the side of the shuttlecock (to cause the feathers to rotate); causing it to dip down quicker.
    * Spinning Netplay = A shot played near the net to our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to spin (rotating) over the net.
    * Stick Smash = A Smash generated by the wrist with little arm movement involved.
    * Stroke = How a player executes a shot. It relates to our stroke production. It describes our body action.
    * Tactics = The art of arranging one's game-play, in order to win or gain an advantage over one's opponents.
    * Tumble = A shot played near the net to the our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to somersault once or more times over the net.
    * Wall Drill = Drill for perfecting our strokes by hitting against the wall.
    * Wood Shot = When the shuttlecock is struck by the frame of the racket-head. "Frame Shot" is now gradually replacing this term.
    * XD Push Shot = Pushing the shuttlecock to the Side Tram Lines; directing it to fall between the front and the back players.
    .
    Nice list we got Still if we have a defensive clear, there should also be a ? clear !

    Also I did not find "FingerPower", which is an exaggerated movement of the standard paired lose-tight grip motion, often used with the Netkill/Tap! It is done by making a little gap in your hand/palm.
    Last edited by Mikael; 01-11-2011 at 03:02 PM.

  8. #127
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,771
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow I did not find "FingerPower"

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Nice list we got Still if we have a defensive clear, there should also be a ? clear !

    Also I did not find "FingerPower", which is an exaggerated movement of the standard paired lose-tight grip motion, often used with the Netkill/Tap! It is done by making a little gap in your hand/palm.
    .
    You are probably talking about the "Attacking Clear". Perhaps, we shall say that "Attacking Clear" = "Punch Clear".

    Regarding "Finger Power", I remember reading a post/thread from kwun about it some 3 years ago. Please allow me time to search for it. Maybe kwun can direct us to this thread of his.
    .

  9. #128
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    You are probably talking about the "Attacking Clear". Perhaps, we shall say that "Attacking Clear" = "Punch Clear".

    Regarding "Finger Power", I remember reading a post/thread from kwun about it some 3 years ago. Please allow me time to search for it. Maybe kwun can direct us to this thread of his.
    .
    Perhaps , assuming no players are like 3 metres high lol

    I did once uploaded a video about Fingerpower on youtube, and linked to it in a thread about it in here, but since I think I have deleted the videos on youtube, sorry.

  10. #129
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,771
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Fingerpower on youtube

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Perhaps , assuming no players are like 3 metres high lol

    I did once uploaded a video about Fingerpower on youtube, and linked to it in a thread about it in here, but since I think I have deleted the videos on youtube, sorry.
    .
    You can upload the video again and then send us the link in this thread.
    .

  11. #130
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    You can upload the video again and then send us the link in this thread.
    .
    Off-topic: (Unfortunately, I lost the videos last time my harddrive went out . As soon as I find a full time job, though, I will make a webside, with 3D videos, showing stuff like that in details (zoom in/out functions), to be dicussed in this forum).

  12. #131
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,771
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Flat clear = Shallow clear = Punch clear = Attacking clear

    .
    In another thread, Gollum mentioned;

    * High clear = Defensive clear
    * Flat clear = Shallow clear = Punch clear = Attacking clear

    And more to what Gollum has posted;

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    Just a note:
    • High clear = defensive clear
    • Flat clear = shallow clear = punch clear = attacking clear


    A "high attacking clear" is thus a "defensive attacking clear" -- i.e. an oxymoron.

    The tactical essence of an attacking clear is awareness that the opponent is not ready to intercept a flatter shot travelling behind them. When used with good tactical judgement, attacking clears are effective because they give the opponent less time than a high (defensive) clear.

    When used with bad tactical judgement, an attacking clear will be smashed back at you from the opponent's (rear) midcourt. As with everything else, risk and reward are related.
    .

  13. #132
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,771
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up 3D videos: Showing stuff in details

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Off-topic: (Unfortunately, I lost the videos last time my harddrive went out . As soon as I find a full time job, though, I will make a webside, with 3D videos, showing stuff like that in details (zoom in/out functions), to be dicussed in this forum).
    .
    Hi Mikael,

    Hope that;

    1. You have now found a full-time job
    2. You can make your 3D videos for us, as soon as possible

    .

  14. #133
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,771
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Whipping Backhand Lift

    .
    In another thread, a stroke was described/shown;

    Quote Originally Posted by badders2006 View Post
    Underarm backhand "clear"??

    surely you can't call it a lift?!

    from 0:06

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94p10aoMNiA
    .
    Some call it the 'Whipping Underarm Backhand Clear' or the 'Whipping Backhand Lift'.

    * Whipping Backhand Lift = An underarm Clear executed from the Back Tram Lines whipping the shuttlecock high to opponent's Back Tram Lines.

    Do Bcers have a different name/term for this stroke?
    .

  15. #134
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Canada
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    In another thread, a stroke was described/shown;


    .
    Some call it the 'Whipping Underarm Backhand Clear' or the 'Whipping Backhand Lift'.

    * Whipping Backhand Lift = An underarm Clear executed from the Back Tram Lines whipping the shuttlecock high to opponent's Back Tram Lines.

    Do Bcers have a different name/term for this stroke?
    .
    I would call it the "Taufik"

    oh and another one similar to the whipping underarm backhand clear, would be the forehand version lol

  16. #135
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Aotearoa
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    In another thread, Gollum mentioned;

    * High clear = Defensive clear
    * Flat clear = Shallow clear = Punch clear = Attacking clear

    And more to what Gollum has posted;


    .
    Hi all, this is a nice thread on techniques' names. I was wondering whether you guys have heard of or seen someone use a 'Sliced flat clear'? which has some deception features to it. It looks like a smash or drop shot, so opponents anticipate the shot to the forecourt, but didn't expect it flying to the rear court.

    I didn't see "forehand/reverse-forehand overhead sliced dropshot" in the list.

    Hope that helps
    Cheers

  17. #136
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,771
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Sliced Flat Clear

    Quote Originally Posted by Agile_Monkey View Post
    Hi all, this is a nice thread on techniques' names. I was wondering whether you guys have heard of or seen someone use a 'Sliced flat clear'? which has some deception features to it. It looks like a smash or drop shot, so opponents anticipate the shot to the forecourt, but didn't expect it flying to the rear court.

    I didn't see "forehand/reverse-forehand overhead sliced dropshot" in the list.

    Hope that helps
    Cheers
    .
    Hi Agile_Monkey,

    You are welcome to add more terms to our list.

    Thanks for mentioning about the 'Sliced Flat Clear'.

    For players who have not heard of this term before, we could term it as;

    * Sliced Flat Clear = A Punch Clear executed with spin to the shuttlecock; to slow it down quicker after passing over the receiver.
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 03-21-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. self training techniques
    By Pizza Fish in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 3
    : 11-21-2011, 02:08 AM
  2. Advanced Badminton Techniques Training Book
    By les korcala in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 0
    : 02-13-2009, 11:43 AM
  3. help! overhead strokes/shots!
    By confuzzledfreak in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 11
    : 06-26-2004, 12:50 AM
  4. Drops Shots: Techniques
    By tonten in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 14
    : 09-20-2002, 04:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •