User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Alternative to Lee Jae Bok's approach to smashing.

I see comments that LJB's approach to smashing is out of line with the latest ideas. Where can I find a clear instructional video that explains the latest ideas and/or points out differences with LJB's teaching?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks pc. I had already discovered that video, I would like to try to pin down the differences between his approach and LJB's.

First the grip: am I right in thinking that his grip is different to LJB's suggestion, in that he doesn't open the racket face by 10 degrees? So with Jimmy Lin's grip, the thumb is on the wide facet of the handle, but with LJB's it is more towards the bevel?

Second, the left hand at the start of the stroke: JL's left hand is in front of his face, LJB wants us to move the left hand to the left, away from the face, so that we are facing the opponent's court more. I must say I feel more balanced with LJB's approach here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieR View Post
    Thanks pc. I had already discovered that video, I would like to try to pin down the differences between his approach and LJB's.

First the grip: am I right in thinking that his grip is different to LJB's suggestion, in that he doesn't open the racket face by 10 degrees? So with Jimmy Lin's grip, the thumb is on the wide facet of the handle, but with LJB's it is more towards the bevel?

Second, the left hand at the start of the stroke: JL's left hand is in front of his face, LJB wants us to move the left hand to the left, away from the face, so that we are facing the opponent's court more. I must say I feel more balanced with LJB's approach here.
    Lee Jae Bok uses his wrist and less pronation in a smash where the normal power in a smash comes for pronation, most of LJB's power comes from wrist, he also stands more square on with a more panhandle grip and hits the shuttle with the racket face flatter

This video of his has some good tips for someone who uses the pronation method for overheads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIug4gRpDvg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

watch this..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how that answers my questions PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see comments that LJB's approach to smashing is out of line with the latest ideas. Where can I find a clear instructional video that explains the latest ideas and/or points out differences with LJB's teaching?
    Whilst LJB may or may not be an excellent coach, and what he teaches may or may not be correct, it is very very important to realise that the videos he posts are not going to be the same as what he teaches in person. By this, I mean that his videos should not be taken as gospel (as the only way to do it), but instead should be viewed with the intention of seeing if any of his ideas may help you with your game. In reality, he may teach something different in person, because he has more time to develop and explain his ideas.

Thus, whilst I do not like the content of some of his videos, I cannot say that he would not be able to explain it better in person. His videos are what they are: 4 minute videos designed to impart a little bit of advice. Imagine the difference if you actually had lessons over the course of years - there will be much more detail that cannot be captured in a 4 minute video!

Now then, on to your question:
    What is the difference in his VIDEO teaching compared to other videos? (assume right handed)
    1. Grip: he teaches a grip that is more towards a panhandle grip for overhead shots.

This is probably where he differs to most other videos. Whilst the grip he suggests may or may not work for you, the reasoning behind choosing his grip (i.e. it is necessary to have this grip in order to take the shuttle in front of your body) is not true. Thus - consider whether the grip will work for you, and choose as appropriate.

However, as with all coaches, his explanation as to why you should try something is often biased to favour what he is teaching (all coaches do it, but some are more biased than others).

2. Focus on left arm position: Lee makes it seem as though the positioning of the arm is critical for view and power.

Bear in mind: many top professionals have a completely different arm positioning, and they do not struggle for power or precision. Thus, take it as a suggestion that may help, rather than necessary.

3. Cocking the wrist back before a smash: Lee states you can cock your wrist in one way or another before you play your smash. Realistically, it is not the limited.

Bear in mind: most professionals start with a neutral wrist, and then cock their wrist and uncock it again as part of their stroke. This is an option that Lee never considers - once again, take it as a suggestion that may work, not a necessity.

4. Positioning of right elbow: Lee is very strict about where to have your elbow positioned. However, as with other videos, his explanation is biased to encourage his technique - his explanation of course, fails to address the fact that most professionals do things completely differently, and are all fine. If you do not know what to do, then you could consider following Lee coaching. However, it may similarly not work for you.

These are the main differences between LJBs teaching and other coaches as far as I am aware.

Most technique videos have clear demonstrations on how to do it "properly" e.g. JLs videos, the Chen Weihua videos, the Zhao Jianhua videos, the peter rasmussen videos etc are all clear and concise.

Good luck

and let me know if there are any other LJB videos you have questions about. I may not have seen them all.

8. Likes Cheung, visor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen hours of LJB's videos MSeeley, some of them are a lot longer than 4 minutes, and he is very consistent in what he says, I find it hard to believe he would say anything very different face to face.

I've already figured out that you need to think about what other coaches say and about what works for you: that's why I was asking for details about where LJB differs from what is taught elsewhere, which you answered for me, so thanks for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was lol at the title of your thread, because LJB is the one who's the alternative to everyone else's approach to smashing.

11. Likes SigH-Max, raymond liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen hours of LJB's videos MSeeley, some of them are a lot longer than 4 minutes, and he is very consistent in what he says, I find it hard to believe he would say anything very different face to face.
    Whilst I am glad to hear that you understand not to simply take his videos as "the truth" I know many players who do not have this opinion. Hence my warning. Bear in mind that, with regard to smash, he teaches something very different (in terms of smashing action) in his "play to win" video than in his later videos.

I am in a similar position to you with regard to his videos. I purchased DVDs many years ago of all of his videos, many of which are now free (which is annoying - I had to pay for them). However, back 7/8 years ago, he did not express such strong views about right elbow positioning or wrist cocking (check out his 26 minute "power smash" video). So I am not sure that I agree that his coaching is always consistent - I believe it has changed over the years. Things that were not important before have, all of a sudden, become critical.

However, I do agree, SOME aspects of his coaching have always been consistent (such as the importance of contact point).

Good luck to you and to everyone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Living close to where lee jae bok used to coach i know quite a few players that used train in his sessions. It is very clear in the differences between a Korean style like lee jae bok's and a Danish style. The Korean style does not change grip much for different overhead shots, similar grip in the around the head to the straight smash. Comparing to the Danish style I find finer, using more of the fingers to adjust their grip during a motion, this gives greater emphasis to deception. Compared to the Korean style which is more focused on power. My advice would be to get coaching from more than one coach and find a style that suits you better or use a mixture of 2 styles.