Video: How to pronate and execute an overhead stroke

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by thejym, Aug 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. thejym

thejym Regular Member

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think all overhead strokes require that you supinate at the backswing and pronate at the foreward swing. Pronation alone is not enough.

3. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Good point taneepak. I guess I forgot to explicitly mention it, although I do it without thinking when actually hitting shuttles.

When doing clears, I tend to lessen the amount of supination because I can already clear it the full distance without it. When smashing, I supinate a ton in the backswing in order to get the most power out of my shot. Ideally, I should supinate the same degree with both and just pronate at a slower speed with clears.

#3 thejym, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  4. shooka

shooka Regular Member

Student
    @thejym Thanks for the video. It corrected my error.
    Is there any proper technique to return drive shots that flies past your side (side shot?).

5. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Good video , alot of players dont know how to hit an overhead properly and they always wonder where can you find that extra power in smashing and to strike that shuttle clean .. your video is the answer !

6. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    one thing at a time ! this is too much for most players anyway

7. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Interesting looking at the footage that you strike the shuttle 'sideways' rather than stright. Does that create more power and is that the way, Pro's hit the overheads? As there are so many ways to hit the overheads that, now I'm confused which is the 'right' way!

8. thejym

thejym Regular Member

While there may be many ways to hit overheads, this is the only proper way for a power shot. The same stroke (or very similar at least) is done in tennis for serves, although tennis serves can have spin on them which means that the player is purposely hitting the ball with the racket face at an angle.

Check out this video of Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei smashing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKC1Depuf6Q

9. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    thegym: perhaps make a little more focus on starting positing (stroke), and further more bodyrotation.

10. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Thanks for your explanation and making an effort to educate us with this video.

11. thejym

thejym Regular Member

That's true, although there are so many aspects that go into executing an overhead stroke effectively that it would take forever to explain it all. This video was simply for the overhead swing itself and nothing else.

On another note, I put together a rather poorly made grip guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBzn3jyEs5k

I figured it might help some of you understand the four grips better if you could see them from various angles. The grips guide on Badminton Bible does an excellent job of explaining everything with photos, so you can look there as well.

12. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Yes better keep on a few points for beginners :) And sorry I forgot to say, it is a nice video though...

13. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Thanks for the support guys :)

I should have mentioned in the video that it would be useful to practice in front of a mirror or record yourself with a camera so you can see whether your motions are correct. I think some people can recognize proper form when they see it, but they've never seen themselves play so they don't recognize their own errors.

14. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Good idea with mirror actually, properly suitable for strokes. I would like to watch my footwork too, but unfortunately I don't have that large mirrors :)

15. thejym

thejym Regular Member

A warning: be careful not to hit anything when you're swinging in front of your mirror!

Most digital cameras (and even cell phones!) can record video, so recording yourself on court is a great way to watch your footwork, strokes, and even choice of shot. If you don't have one, I'm sure you could find someone to lend you one or shoot a video of one of your games. I don't think you can ever "outgrow" the use of a video camera, since watching the video will enable you to see exactly what your opponent is doing to react to your shots, and whether your choice of shots is correct given the circumstances.

16. whatever001

whatever001 Regular Member

how can you hit cross court clear w/ this technique? I tried to do it, but it only goes to the middle or to the right. (I'm right-handed)

17. rgevero

rgevero Regular Member

do we need pronation in order to execute a good forehand clear?

18. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    damn good point here

this shows you are helpful towards the end

keep up your good work!

19. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    see post #2 for the complete supination and pronation sequence

pronation will increase the shuttle speed and there is much ease

20. thejym

thejym Regular Member

It's a matter of where your racket face is pointed upon contacting the shuttle. For clears, you don't want to slice the shuttle so you must ensure that the racket face is always square in the direction that you want to hit it. To hit it cross court from your forehand corner, you must contact the shuttle a bit sooner in your stroke than you would when you clear straight. How soon depends on how much angle you want to achieve - slow down your stroke and you can see that the racket face points from the left, to the middle, to the right. The difficulty in doing this cross court clear is that you must then generate a greater power over a shorter distance in order to make the shuttle travel the full diagonal.