Does the racket really matter that much!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by thefantasy100, Aug 3, 2010.

1. thefantasy100

thefantasy100 Regular Member

student
    Hi... does the racket really matter that much. The game's in the player rite?? why do people only disscuss about rackets ????????

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I think it matters, up to a point.
    If you use a racket which is completely wrong for your style of play, then it will be very bad for your game (enough to determine the outcome of a game against an opponent of a similar standard to you).
    eg. If you're the kind of player who relies on power, then using a super-light 70g racket is a bad idea; similarly, using a 95g steel racket if you're a defensive player.
    Provided your racket is of approximately the right weight, balance and flex, then all the extra technology that racket manufacturers boast about, isn't going to make much difference.

Having said that, I can understand people being willing to pay for the best they can get. While high-end rackets certainly aren't cheap these days, they're a small part of your total expenditure (think of how much you'll spend on club fees, stringing, shoes, etc during the lifespan of a racket).

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Lets have 2 identical players, one is using the "right" racket and the other does not. The score line will be the answer :) :)

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Nothing else to talk about...

5. Iori

Iori Regular Member

It does matter to a degree. For example I used to use MP99 then switch to MP LTD due to price. The rackets are similar enough therefore it is easy enough to switch. I also use a AT250 for singles which is super head heavy but I can definately feel the difference in their playing style (POWER). Even just by practice swinging you should be able to tell if the racket feels good.

If two different rackets have drastic different technical specs (ex. MP99 - headlight/even at 295bp vs AT250 head heavy at 320bp) it will matter to the player. The best thing to do is try different rackets and pick one that is comfortable.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The higher your standard of play, the more the racket matters.

A beginner can use pretty much anything, but as a player improves their game begins to drift in a certain direction (power/control/defence) and certain rackets become more suitable than others.

A pro could also use anything against plebs like us, but they choose their rackets extremely carefully to eke out the last drop of performance and get the best results against other pros.

7. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    And the reason we talk about rackets a lot, is that they are expensive.
    If I want to know if I'm going to like a particular string / tension / grip /etc, then I will just try it out for myself - worst case scenario, I won't like it, and I'll have wasted maybe £10.
    Unfortunately, most of us are not wealthy enough to go out and buy every racket we're interested in, so we try to gather as much information and hear as many opinions as possible, before buying.