stringing tensions

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by bboy, Feb 12, 2003.

1. bboy

bboy Regular Member

university
    Hi folks...i'm trying to settle a fight with my friends about stringing tensions :)
    ok so on a regular racket (stiff enough for tensions up to 25lbs) would lower tension deliver more power? or would higher tension deliver more power? furthermore, at which tension would you get more control?

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I think it really depends. In my experience, fast swings using head-light racquets will get more power as tension increase. Slow swingers using head-heavy racquets get less power as tension increase. My observation applies up to 24lb (and probably up to 26lb.) Beyound 26lb, i'd say you're looking at losing power in all areas. At lower tensiosn (~20lb) the string type and racquet head weight is more important that the actual tension.

3. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    High tension = control
    Low tension = power

That´s the way it is!! :cool:

Unfortunately, beginners often uses bad rackets with ultra low tension that bounces the shuttle in any direction. Higher tension would make it much easier!

A very common misunderstanding is that high tension gives more power.

4. bigredlemon

I got more power out of rally 21s at 24lb than 20 lb... and the difference is noticeable. You know how if you hit a smash just right, you can feel a "snap" as the bird explodes off the racquet? I get that at 24lb, less at 22, and nothing at 20. I'm sure timings has something to do with it, but its hard to belive it's only timings if I go from powersmash most of the time to none of the time just by using a lower tension.

edit: by "nothing" at 20lb, i mean i can still smash using the same technique, and it's still a smash, but it feels like a wimpy smash. It sounds louder (like a BOOOM instead of a "BING"), but the bird moves slower, as though much of the energy is transfered to have the strings make that sound.

#4 bigredlemon, Feb 25, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2003
  5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe everyone has his/her own preferred range.

Within this range, maybe i will agree, lower tension = Power, and higher tension = control. However, since different ppl's range could be quite different (not necessary just skill lvl, but also depend on playing style, physcial strength, etc).

Therefore, before talking about high vs low tension, I think we need to know the "range" first. For me, I think I can do handle from 19-24(did string my rackets with different tension within the range). Outside this range, say, 25+, I don't have power, and no control, either, just simply can't play with it.

Also, I believe different natural material of string, rackets will also play major factors. If using different combination of various rackets + string, I assume the performance will be different, too.

6. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Hmm, I personally think that at a high tension (For me 22-23lbs), I get more power. Like BR mentioned, if you hit it in the sweet spot you hear that pop like you do with thin strings. Control seems to be a lil better and with the BG65s I don't really have to worry about it breaking as I do with my previous BG66's.

7. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
  8. bigredlemon

lower tension = more power may be generally true for most people, but it's not always true as though it was a law of physics. Just imagine you strung your racquet at 5lb. You would get almost no power out of it. (I have a wood racquet /w monofilament strings that are probably around 5lb by now, and it's a powerless racquet)

The article recites a generalization and claims it to be a fact. IT claims thicker strings give more power, and lower tension gives more power. I've played with a head-heavy racquets with low tension thick strings before, and found them to be ver limited in power. They were good with slow swings, but not very powerful for fast smashes. The most combination racquet i've used so far is a) head light! b) thin string (!) and c) higher tension! All these characteristics were said to reduce power. This may change as I try out more equipment though.

As Yodums said, it's all a matter of range. Within your range, your formula would work. Outside it, you would lose power and/or control as you move away from your range. Both a very lose and a very tight string will give you little power. I doubt anyone can clear with a racquet strung at 5lb, nor with one at 50 pounds (with current technology!)

#8 bigredlemon, Feb 26, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2003
  9. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related

It´s a totally pointless to talk about 5lb or 50 pounds. As pointless as to make a racket out of rubber or a racket that weights 2 grams. Anyone understands that.
    All the articles makes perfectly good sense with normal rackets strung at playable tensions.

And they don´t claim promptly that one thing is better than another.
    It depends on thickness of the string, age of string, climate, racket, skill and so on.

An old, low tension string may be much less powerfull than a new high tension, for example.

I myself use a very stiff "Ti-10 Long" with pretty high tension. I´ve got no problems with power and the high tension gives me great control and precision. A more flexible racket would propably give me more power than I need and less control, so would lower tension. I´ve found my combination, now I wanna play!!! :D

10. mozartcova

mozartcova Regular Member

Agree with Framerate. That's why I've never strung my racket more than 23lbs. My preferred tension is 20m/22c with very stiff racket.
    ;)

11. bigredlemon

The use of the extreme tensions example shows that lower tension does not always equal to power. It shows that there IS a range where optimal power exists. The lower tension=higher power reasoning applies ONLY to cases where you are moving from that optimal tension.

What exactly is the optimal tension for power? Is it 10lb? 15? 20? Who knows. The racquet swing speeds between quick wrist smashers and slow arm smashers is easily as much as 100%. The swing speeds between slices and smashes could be easily 3 or 4 times more. Since the optimal tension relates to the swing speed (according to the ashaway articles you lined to) saying power without referring to the individual person or the playing style s/he uses is like discussing the more comfortable amount of clothes to wear without considering the temperature outside.

12. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Just pick a starting tension and do small increments when you restring preferably with the same string so you can see the difference and pick a tension that you're comfortable with.

Everyone has their opinion about equipment so it is hard to come to a conclusion.

13. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    I see your point bigredlemon, but nevertheless, at identical conditions; higher tension wont generate more power unless you are moving from lower tension than playable (and thats not interesting).

Go from 22lb to 24lb will not give more power but more control.
    Go from 10lb to 22lb would give more power and control.
    Go from 24lb to 50lb would give you a warp effect on your racket.

Go from an old dead string at 22lb to a new fresh at 25lb would propably generate more power.

And so on...

Just as you say, it´s complicated, and I do understand your point.
    A bad player with no power would get less control with higher tension because he´d be forced to hit harder than he can with any control left.

It´s hard to come to a conclusion, as Yodums say.

:)

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sad but true, I think this applies to me. :(

I only use 20-24 now. Can't go any higher. Actually, 22*24 might already gives me some trouble.

15. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    As I see it (which may not be the right way to see anything)...
    High tension in combination with a very flexible racket should be a good combination for a less powerfull player.
    The flexible racket helps to get power in long shots and the high tension gives control to low power precision shots.

Maybe? :)

16. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Currently have 25/23 on my Ti-10... but prolly dropped down to 24 or so. Luv the control it gives at 25 when the string feels "dead" Hoping to go up another few lbs, see what it feels like