All-England: Nagging injury takes a toll on Taufik

Discussion in 'All England 2003' started by whizkelv, Feb 13, 2003.

1. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

New Straits Times » Sport

Badminton/ All-England : Nagging injury takes a toll on Taufik
    Graig Nunis

BIRMINGHAM, Feb 12: PHOBIA of surgery may well cut short Taufik Hidayat’s career.

The Asian Games champion, who is dreaming of World and Olympic glory in the next 18 months, is bothered by a mystery injury to his right knee and yesterday, suffered the ignominy of losing in the first round of the All England Open Championships to unheralded Dicky Palyama of Holland.

It was obvious from the way he was struggling to cover the court at the National Indoor Arena (NIA) in Birmingham, that Hidayat, known for his explosive smashes and great mobility, was not in his usual form. Palyama used his opponent's weakness to score an improbable 15-11, 15-9 victory in just 44 minutes for his first victory in three meetings with Hidayat.

Hidayat, later, revealed that he has been affected by a knee injury for the past two years.

What worries him is that despite visiting several doctors in Jakarta, none of them have been able to determine the source of the problem and all have recommended surgery in a bid to get to the root of the problem.

"But I have refused because I have a fear of going under the knife," said Hidayat, runner-up in this tournament in 1998 and 1999.

"I will never consider surgery as I have a deep rooted fear and while I know it will not do my career any good not to have it, I will accept the risk.

"I have not been training for the past one week and knew before coming to Birmingham that I might not be able to put up a convincing performance but never did I expect Dicky to play so well today.

"He deserves credit for his victory and I have no excuses." Hidayat added he will most likely skip the Swiss Open next week as his main target is the World Championships, to be held at the same venue in May.

"Perhaps it may be time to change my playing style. I may have to become more of a stroke player instead of going for the jumping smashes.

Meanwhile, Malaysia's Lee Tseung Seng, will play Palyama early this morning for in the third round.

The Commonwealth Games silver medallist hardly raised a sweat in his first round encounter against Arturo Ruiz of Spain, winning 15-1, 15-7 in 30 minutes.

"I am very surprised that Taufik lost as I was all geared up to face him in the second round," said Tseung Seng.

"In a way I am glad I do no have to play him as Taufik is certainly a dangerous opponent.

"Having said that, I will not underestimate Dicky. It takes something special to beat someone like Taufik and I know I will have a battle on my hands in the second round."

2. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Imagine if Taufik transformed into a stroke player...