What the hell happened to Chan/Chew

Discussion in 'All England 2003' started by wl2172, Feb 13, 2003.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Seems like one of them got injured....won the first set 15-2...but retired.....very very disappointed

2. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

Chew's injured. :(
    No more birthday present for Chan.

3. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Injuries a constant threat no matter how good you are

It is vital that every player understands how much he/she should stretch or commit to retrieve a shot. It is no point being 14-0 up but because of trying to retrieve a good shot, you end up injuring yourself, this is what I call mindlessly putting yourself under unnecessary risk.
    In the case Of Chan/Chew, it was either not enough warming up(which I doubt), slippery floor, or being too heroic and wanting to go for every shot. They should kick themselves hard in the behind because this could have been their best opportunity to achieve something in the All England. Now instead of that, they end up losing prematurely. I would like to sympathise with them, but in cases like this, it is hard to do so. I just hope the injury is not too serious.
    The same goes for Taufik, if he had sought proper treatment as soon as the problem arose, i.e. surgery then followed by good therapy, I am sure he will be OK by now. Instead, his excuse of being afraid to go under the knife will mean early retirement if he does not do something about it. Knee problems have to be sorted out asap or it will become a permanent injury. It is no point trying to change your style to work around the injury, that is just utter nonsense. He might as well quit now and not bother anymore as there will be no future under such arrangements.
    At the end of the day, you can be the best of the best, but if injury occurs unneccesarily, or is not being treated properly, you might as well hang up your racquet now and not waste people's time.

4. libra

libra Regular Member

wl2172,

seems to me you might have been a bit quick to criticize the malaysian pair, did you watch the match? injuries happen for many reasons - some are more serious than others. Henrick Larson's broken leg springs to mind.

from what i read, "The Malaysian duo had won the first game comfortably 15-2 when Chew damaged his left foot and after treatment on court was ruled unfit to continue". To me it's unlikely that someone 'damages' his foot trying to execute heroics.

as for taufik, it would be a loss of a great talent if his injury was career ending and he didn't undergo surgery. but considere Ronaldo who's undergone countless operations to repair his knee (the scars are horible, I've seen them!) and yet still have problems. i guess what i'm saying is that it's his choice and i wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to have an op.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Twisted ankle according to the report

Maybe it swelled up. Bad luck but sometimes these things can happen.

That they will miss Swiss Open as well implies it's not a simple thing.

6. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Perhaps Chew should seek treatment from you..:D

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    haha, hope not. That would mean his injury is really bad.

I used to say to people "Don't visit me in hospital. I work in Intensive Care........"

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

The court he was playing on was court 6, i see him play that game and looked very convincing. But i saw on the board that he retired, i didnt see it happen. Later on though before Limpele and Hian's game on court 6, it was postponed to another court because apprently court 6 was damaged, so that may have been a possible cause of his injury.

Matt