Search for a Racket like karakal sl 70

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by greblu, Aug 8, 2010.

1. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    hi,
    I am used to play with the racket "Karakal sl 70" i am very happy with distribution of weight and the light weight of the racket. But the grip of this racket is too weak for my aggressive playstyle. I already break apart the grip of 4 Karakal sl 70 while just hitting (smash) the shuttle. Even the new model has the problem...:crying:

So i am searching for an other Racket with is similar to "Karakal sl 70". It should be very light, a little head weighty but not to much. Any suggestions?

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    First thing that came to mind was the Gosen Miralite series. They weigh from 79-83g, which is a bit heavier than the SL-70 (which weighs maybe 76g - Karakal measure it differently from other manufacturers) but still very light, and they have a carbon handle instead of wood.
    And it sounds like you're strong enough to handle a little extra weight anyway...

Anything else is still going to have a wooden handle, and presumably be just as likely to break.
    I know Ashaway make various superlight rackets (SL-79SQ would be best), as do APACS.

Maybe you could just fix and reinforce one of your broken rackets? It's not going to cost you anything, so it might be worth a try if you're a DIY-er.
    eg.
    * Glue the broken handle back together.
    * Drill a couple of holes down its length.
    * Insert some carbon rods (very cheap and easy to get from model shops).
    * Tape up the handle with duct tape, so the wood won't split.

If you're really ambitious, you could shave some wood off the handle to make it a little thinner, then mold some glass fiber around it.

3. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the advices, there are some interest rackets.
    Your DIY tips are nice as well, but i do not think i am good enough to create a good grip my self, i think when i do it, the grip would not merge perfectly with the frame. So there would be a lot of energy loses due to vibrations etc...
    And "Drill a couple of holes down its length" would weak the grip (in a fracture-mechanical way) more than than the carbon rods would fortify. I think buying a new none wood grip would be the best solution.