Badminton workshop for children grades 6-8

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by honda604, Aug 9, 2010.

1. honda604

honda604 New Member

Hello, I work for a summer camp and I am hosting a badminton workshop. However, I am stumped for ideas on what to talk about and what games to organize that would be fun for them to play. Anyone have ideas? Badminton is not the popular sport among these kids and they are not motivated to play any sports. Therefore, I would like this to be fun for them.
    Only thing I can think of is hitting the bird over and running over to the other side without having to drop the birdie. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

I doubt that running from one side of the court to the other side will be very fun, especially for those that are not motivated to play.
    Why did they join a summer camp if they don't even want to play sports?

3. neavalmi0421

neavalmi0421 Regular Member

New Product Development
    how about a game of which pair can keep the most number of rally (shuttle in the air)? kids always like to hit the shuttle particularly the overhead stroke.

4. honda604

honda604 New Member

that sounds like a good idea anymore?

5. neavalmi0421

New Product Development
    we also do a game we call armalite. but this is a bit intermediate now since it wont be fun if shuttle always falls into the ground after a serve. If you have around 6 or more number of players, divide the group into 2. say you have team A of 5 players and team B of 5 players. Player 1 Team A starts to serve then player 1 get out of the court and go to the last line of Team A. Player 1 of Team B is supposed to receive the serve then after hitting also get out of the court and go into the last line of Team B. So the play is like Singles play and the score can be until only 11 or 21 deoends on team or coach. A player gets to hit the shuttle once only and leave the court (step aside or can be still insde the court but get out of the way so that your team-mate can play the shot). If a player miss a shot(didn't hit the shuttle), then he/she still remains in the court to receive the serve of the other team.

6. honda604

honda604 New Member

awesome thank! i'll be sure to try it out tomorrow!

7. neavalmi0421

New Product Development
    you're welcome. Also not a game but when you do a ball feeding to your players, you might want to put a target for them to aim since children like always to have fun. for example when practicing the doubles BH short serve, you may want to put a basket as target. Kids like to see their serve to shoot in the basket. Even the net shots, put the basket near the net. Or for the singles high serve, put the basket/container in the baseline. For drops, i use to form the jumping rope in rectangle as target near the service line. Hope you can get them motivated to play badminton. Good luck.