Moving from BG66 to BG80 - Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by yankiat, Aug 9, 2010.

1. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

A quick one here...

Love BG66 but the cost of restringing every month is killing me.

Now, I'm thinking of moving to BG80 (due to the durability) but wondering if it’s a good idea to do so. Perhaps you have any suggestion of string? I’m using BS10..

Also, I used to string 26lbs for BG66. If I were to change to BG80, what would be the ideal tension?

Thanks

2. justsomekid

justsomekid Regular Member

school
    bg 80 is quite durable but it doesn't have the same repulsion as bg 66. if ur good with that i think u should string it with 28 lb in tension since it is thicker, give or take an lb. also bg 85 is a good inbetween string of the 66 and 80, more durable then the 66 yet more powerful then the 80, imo that is

3. thejym

thejym Regular Member

To maintain the same feel, you could string BG-80 1lb lower. The vectran in BG-80 makes it feel hard (and grippy), while BG-66 is a slightly softer string. Or, you could maintain the exact same tension and the BG-80 will naturally last a bit longer due to the 0.2mm thicker diameter.

4. Jameschan5

Jameschan5 Regular Member

Engineer
    Both string are good in terms of repulsion and feels. Just BG80 will be feel bit harder when you hit on the shuttlecock but not a big problem...

But how long does your string last? My BG80 last me about 3 months or more, better than the BG66 that less than 3month. Klang price for both are difference for about RM5 only. Make some calculation for the whole year and see which is more economical...

5. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

Hi James,

BG66 last me about 1 month or less which is killing me.

My concern is the power of BG80. Understand that you need to be a very hard hitter in order to get true colour of BG80. Other than BG80, is BG85 a good idea?

6. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I have not found BG-80 to be too different from BG-66 in terms of power, though BG-66 is slightly more powerful. For me, BG-66 lasts 1-2 weeks, though luckily I am able to string my rackets myself so it isn't too expensive. BG-80 will last 2-3 weeks for me.

BG-85 is also a good string, but I personally prefer BG-66 and BG-80 more. BG-80 is grippier than BG-66 and also has a harder feel. It ultimately comes down to what feels better for you (and your wallet), since performance-wise one isn't noticeably better than the other.

7. Jameschan5

Engineer
    My partner has the same problem with you but he switch to BG65 that cheaper and more durable...
    BG80 is not that hard to play, I just feel that it is the thicker version of BG66 and very good in control in 26~27lbs... I have just used BG85 once only, quite similar with BG80, nothing much to comment...

Just give BG80 or BG70Pro (0.70mm) a try, I think it will last longer a bit for your kind of playing... Meru sports offer RM32 for BG80 and RM27 for BG66 with electronic stringing machine, I think BoonHua can be cheaper but I long time didn't go there dy...

8. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

It seems like BG80 is a decent string to go other than BG66. I shall give it a try...
    Yup, usually I send to Meru Sports for stringing. As for Boon Hua, I personally think that their stringing quality has dropped.

9. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

Strung BG80 with tension 26lbs. Requested the stringer to pull string one by one and apparently it is too tight and believe due to the thickness of the string, I can't feel the repulsion and birdie hardly get to baseline. Maybe I'll get a better feel after the tension drops a bit.

Between, what do you guys think about BG65ti?

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Bg65ti will kill you. Worse in repulsion...

11. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

I dont want to be killed. So what string will keep me alive...

Simeon likes this.
  12. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    BG80 at 26lbs is actually not too tight for many players but in your case maybe your strenght is not there yet or you are not use to the hard feeling of it. This is prolly because BG66 is your go-to string for quite some times already. Once you got hold of it BG80 is a very good string.

In that case you can try Victor VS-850 which shares both the characteristics of BG66 and BG80. Feel wise you would like it but you need to strung it at least 1lbs higher due to its average tension holding ability. Go for digital stringing (5% pre-stretch) if possible.

13. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

Got it. Will hold on to BG80 and hopefully it'll become my go-to string. Shall try VS850 too if any of the string breaks.

Thanks for the input!

14. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    why not move to yonex cg-100

15. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    No problem. I said that because when I started playing baddy I hit off with BG66 too and now has converted to BG80.:)

16. Jameschan5

Engineer
  17. lilyaks

lilyaks Regular Member

bg68ti is the next best thing

18. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

I tried to string one of my racket with 68Ti and apparently the repulsion is not so good besides having the mental kinda sound when smashing.

I still think BG66 is the best (at least to me) and the only thing I need to bear with is the durability of it.

Right now I'm having BG68ti, BG80 and BG66 but most of the time I'm using BG66...

19. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    Mind me asking where your string breaks? Because both my BG66 and BG80 cannot break. Maybe I don't enough power to break it :D. Both at 28lbs.

20. yankiat

yankiat Regular Member

At the centre, sweetspot to be exact. It breaks when clearing, smashing and there were times when I was returning a smash from opponent -_-