Comment: Some shuttlers are simply prima donnas

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by press100, Aug 10, 2010.

1. press100

press100 Regular Member

Science Officer
    Comment: Some shuttlers are simply prima donnas

2010/08/11
    Ajitpal Singh
    ajitpalsingh@nst.com.my

WHEN our much idolised shuttlers failed in the Thomas Cup, they blamed it on the lack of preparation.

But when they are presented a chance to 'isolate' themselves at the University of Bath before the World Championships in Paris, they think it is a waste of time.

So what do they actually want?

A few prima donnas are making it difficult for the concerned parties including the BA of Malaysia (BAM) and the National Sports Institute (NSI) which want to provide the best avenues for them.

The players aren't so enthusiastic about the Bath trip and this has made the parties involved think they are not doing enough.

Why is the trip to the University of Bath so controversial?

The isolation in Bath will definitely help the players re-energise and ease pressure on them before the world meet in Paris.

It will also allow the players to focus solely on training unlike the disturbance and distractions in Kuala Lumpur.

Maybe this trip will help end Malaysia's long wait for a world title.

We should be embarrassed for not winning a world title till today.

Despite badminton being a well-funded sport, our players still lack the killer touch to deliver the big one.

Why can't our players do it? Even Denmark, whose players are not financially muscled, have won world titles.

It is quite embarrassing if you ask me.

Maybe our players should speak to the Danes on how to win world titles.

I am not saying that our players have not done us proud as they have delivered silver and bronze medals in priority events.

But what we want now is gold medal in the World Championships and Olympics. Winning 'Open' titles is no big deal to the country as it does not carry weight. It only makes the shuttlers richer.

In Paris, Lee Chong Wei and Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong may be the top seeds in their respective events but they are unlikely to win the top prize.

Chong Wei tends to freeze whenever he plays in big events or against China's Lin Dan. As for Kien Keat-Boon Heong, the pair will have a chance if they maintain their focus and raise their game.

But I do hope that in Paris, the City of Romance, the Malaysians will find their elusive love -- the world crown.

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha
    so shuttler to blame?

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..reading quickly, reminds me of what Pemuda often mentioned not too long ago..

4. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

No comment, I'll just keep my thoughts in my mind. :)

5. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Saw this article in NST this morning and I like it...and yes, remind me of Pemuda...

6. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

This comment is almost unwarranted. I am with the players this time. Not only did BAM fail to communicate and inform the players on time about this training stint, BAM also fail to clarify the meaning behind this training. I think BAM should really improve their communication system by doing better planning.

Why Bath? This is a very good question posted in another article. If you are preparing for tournaments in UK, that I can understand. However, you got to keep in mind that France and UK are 2 totally different country(weather wise, cultural and surrounding). The claim of player saying that UK training doesn't help them in acclimatizing to the surrounding is not unfounded. The more obvious one being-the weather in Paris is always colder than UK in winter and always hotter than UK in summer. And something is dubious though, a training stint for 10 days? I am not sure what can you do in 10 days(since I am not a pro), but I certainly feel that that's kinda short(you need to account that the players takes at least 2 days to accustome to the surrounding). So inclussive of acclimatizing to weather in both UK and France, you actually lost 4 days(that's being lenient considering we haven't work out the travelling time, fatigue on players) in total, that left you with only a week training in Bath.

I am not sure what BAM have in their mind when they plan this. But honestly, someone who plan this needs to wear their brain next time. No offence.

And on regard about the author who question their players about their ability to win titles, I would said it's time for the author to come out and represent MAS in tournament. Show all the amateurs in BAM(including LCW and KKK/TBH) how this is done. There's no point asking the Danes on winning the WC since the author think is such an easy feint to accomplish, so I think he should be able to win Malaysia it's very first medal in WC. Talk is cheap Ajitpal Singh, do it for Malaysia please and show us how can you beat Lin Dan in Thomas cup while you are at it.

#6 lcleing, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  7. undeadshot

If it was Prof. P, I believe that he'll agree with him on the players but disagree with the Bath University Stint, especially regarding the BAM as it's like what lceling said.

As for me, I agree with lceling on the part that it's not easy to win a world title, and you can't just demand it like that, or go and ask the Danes. This fella is trying to be sarcastic about that part, I'm sure.

He shouldn't blame everything on the players.

However, as for the players being prima donnas (seems to be the main focus there), I think I will just keep it to myself, as what I said earlier.

#7 undeadshot, Aug 11, 2010
  8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Even Misbun & Rexy are not enthusiatic the Bath stint. Esp so since Rexy couldnt go with them due to visa problems. It's not about the players being prima donna, it's what's practical in the real sense.
    LOL, what ease pressure, the trip actually give them more pressure, cos if with the trip no WC, all hell break loose. Might as well 'train in isolation' in Msia, much cheaper, instead of the officials getting free overseas holiday :p

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2010/8/11/sports/6833517&sec=sports
    "The Indonesian said that he would not have voiced an objection if a team were to go there ahead of next year’s All-England in Birmingham or world championships in London.
    “This will be ideal. I remember when we sent our boys two weeks earlier before the 2007 All-England in Birmingham and we had three semi-finalists in the men’s doubles,” he said.
    “Anyway, I will accept the decision of the BAM. It is their call but I still think it is not too late to make changes,” he said. "

#8 eaglehelang, Aug 11, 2010
  9. danielwong

Salesman
    The best way is to wait until 29th August...or might be earlier...
    but from above posts, I can sense some excuses already...

10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

A slap in the face for all parties to involved;)

11. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Just refer to the thread or article's title

12. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

LOL....maybe they can make this trip controversial as an excuse after 29/08/2010 for not able to win anything....again !!

13. danielwong

Salesman
    1st, if we went to Shower..opss..Bath... cannot cope, weather not same, only 10 days, not enough, this Shower..opss.. Bath issue is affecting us...I am frustated, cannot win..

2nd, if they did not go....this Bath issue is affecting us also...if we go, lost, came back, will get blame...
    might as well stay behind....but too much distractions....

2 possible scenario???

#13 danielwong, Aug 11, 2010
  14. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Yes, pressure more to win titles for country like World Champ, Olympic champ...

But that does not mean winning Open Titles are an easy feat to accomplish.

How can you say it is No Big Deal.

The time our talent pool runs dry once more and not even a single satelite title can be won.... let me be the 1st person to kick that author's behind

15. eaglehelang

In 2005 WC, Team Msia went went earlier to the venue, spent RM500,000, Msia came back empty handed also. This has already been highlighted by the media when BAM 1st announced the Bath trip. At the time, NSC make a lot of noise, blah , blah, blah. So, they should have learnt, no need do same thing.
    Maybe that's why this time, Misbun smart, request dont go.;)

#15 eaglehelang, Aug 11, 2010
  16. eaglehelang

Wow, you really mean it kah? When you do that, tell us 1st, we become your witness if you get arrested, lol.

17. danielwong

Salesman
    I think the author is fine with players winning open titles but he think is high time for them to nail major titles..
    of coz the way he presents is a bit rude....but in certain point, it does make sense...we won countless SS
    I am proud of that, but like many, I do hope we will win OG and WC one day...

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    England's football players were in isolation and see how they were destroyed in the world cup.

Where is the middle ground?

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i can imagine what kind of field day Pemuda will have if he was still around after reading this article..
    ..catch-22 situation: Damn if they go and damn if they don't go..

#19 ctjcad, Aug 11, 2010
  20. undeadshot

I think the main issue on why people don't like others is because of how they present themselves. Rude? That might be the key word. Trying thinking of his article's points albeit in a polite manner...? :eek: