1 vs 2 fixed clamps

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Kevin402can, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Kevin402can

Kevin402can Regular Member

I have a Klippermate and I am thinking about trying to add fixed clamps to it. Should I add one or two or is it even worth doing?
    regards
    Kevin

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Firstly, IMO it is definitely worth adding fixed clamps if you can - they give the best possible results. The only draw of flying clamps is speed, but I can go as fast as I need to with a pair of swivels.

Whether you can add two depends on whether the machine has a wide enough turntable; if you just have a "girder" running between the north/south support posts then you will probably only be able to add one swivel clamp (unless you make your own base). I have seen machines of this type, with a single swivel clamp that runs along the bottom girder. If you go that way, make sure the clamp can reach every possible point on the stringbed - you can do all the crosses with a single swivel clamp if it can reach both sides.

3. Kevin402can

Thanks for the reply Mark. I have purchased two swivel clamps and I will be making the rest of the stuff myself.
    regards
    Kevin

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this will be quite a job to add rails strong enough to hold the clamps. look forward to seeing it!

5. Kevin402can

I have complete access to a machine shop were we do laser cutting up to 1 inch thick steel plate. I think 3/16 plate bolted to the 1 inch square bar at the center of the klippermate and then bend the sides down for a bit of extra stiffening should do it. I can get slots laser cut and make some t-nuts. It it the bases that hold the clamps that will cause me the greatest problems. Tightening them to the base with a thread clamp will work but will not be as elegant as a cam mechanism.
    regards
    Kevin

6. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    since you have access its certainly worth try to fabricate stronger mounting mechanism :D

7. Kevin402can

I am working on that as well. By the time I am done I don't think there will be much left of the original klippermate. There are a lot of good ideas on here for modifications and additions. I am trying to aborb them all.

8. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    awesome. keep us updated and take lots of pics!

also i find that klippermate's tension head sometimes knicks the string so maybe swap out the tension plate/head with something more gentle and consider making something more sturdy to hold the tension rod up in neutral position (sometimes the "L" shaped bolt that holds the rod up gets loose over time. good luck and have fun :)

#8 Distanc3, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010