How to tell what string tension on newly puchased racket?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by mttk1853, Aug 12, 2010.

1. mttk1853

mttk1853 Regular Member

IT App Support
    Hi everyone, sorry if these has been asked before. I just purchased a Yonex Arcsaber z-slash and requested the shop to string it with BG80 @ 24lbs.
    I was wondering, when I pick up the racket, is there a way to tell if it is really strung at 24lbs?
    I assume it is a reputable shop and it should be no problem, but I would like to learn about this knowledge myself.
    Thanks heaps everyone!

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

there isn't really a way to tell, but if you push against the strings with your fingers, then it should be fairly tight, and hard to push, but not extremely tight. not very scientific, or indeed accurate, but it is a good way of being able to tell roughly what tension the strings are at.

3. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Yes, i agree with LDrules.

It takes experience to know. Though not accurate, it will be somewhere close. Try hitting the stringbed against your palm to have a feel and listen to the sound. A higher tension will give a higher pitch, while a lower tension will give a "pong" sound.

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I forgot about this way :):)
    When pushing the stringbed with your fingers, the harder it is to push, the higher the tension, if it is easier to push the stringbed the tension will be lower. As Sgbad said, it takes experience to know what tension the racket is strung at by pushing the strings with your fingers, or hitting the stringbed against your palm. But both ways are just as effective, at trying to work out what tension the racket is strung at.

5. mttk1853

mttk1853 Regular Member

IT App Support
    u guys are so pro and experience, I suppose I am not yet at the level to tell this at this stage, as this is only the 2nd quality racket I got (previously used nanospeed 4500).
    But wouldn't diff type of string also felt differently?
    Like my case the previous racket is on bg65 and the new one changed to bg80, the felt I assume will be differ thus we are not comparing apple to apple?
    I suppose I will also have to 1st figure out my best fit string and then felt them on diff tension then.

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I am not a pro by any means...yet :)

Well, yes they can, yow will notice that BG80 is more powerful, better control, and it will hold it's tension better than BG65. But ways of trying to work out it's tension, should remain the same.

I am sure you will like BG80, it is overall a much better string than BG65 IMO, if you dont like it you may wish to try BG66, or consider moving the tension either up or down

7. .spot.

.spot. Regular Member

Student
    U could recotd the sound and upload it for LD & sgbad to judge ;)