Trick shots? Do they work in games?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KYW917, Aug 12, 2010.

1. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

I'd like to add a bit more deception to my game.

Any videos and advice on some deceptive shots that I could add to my game?
    I really want to know how to fake a net shot, and then play a push. And vice versa, fake a lift and play a drop.

I've tried doing them, but my opponents don't seem to fall for it.

2. thejym

thejym Regular Member

The secret is to use the proper technique for shots at the net and to use finger tightening to generate power. I would recommend recording a video of yourself and then watching to see whether or not you can figure out if your shot is going to be a lift/net shot/push. You can even upload it to Youtube and share it with us so we can help you further.

Trick shots are a completely different matter. They're sometimes referred to as "circus shots" and they would probably be things like... under the legs, behind the back, cartwheel, Peter gade's cross-court net on the backhand side using a forehand, etc. Some can work in a game under strange circumstances but they're not generally recommended and you're better off using your time to practice proper technique than to learn those shots.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yes it does work. Even the pros get fooled at times. I got fooled Trillions of times..
    Once you got your techniques right and practice it again and again... it will surely work. But dont try too hard. The harder you try.. the easier your opponent will be able to read your game.

4. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
  5. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Indeed there are differences between trick shots and deception in Badminton. To produce a beautiful deception is to understand what are the criteria that exist in a deception and types of deceptions. By knowing this than we can concentrate on the elements required to produce each type of deception so that it can produce any of the effects that it has. The differences between a deception and atrick shots are, in deception it has 3 important effects if executed well that trick shots does not has and through this effects, it is why advance level player do it as it can influence both moral and scenario of the game play. A deception will only be a deception if it has mainly 3 of this criteria:

- Do it and it can confuse the way of your opponent thinks
    - Do it and it slows your opponent footwork
    - Do it and it confuse the way your opponent body moves

If you do a deception and it does not produce any of the above effects, that it is most likely that your deception will not work. There are a lot of type of deception, however it is categories mainly into two different type that are negative deception and positive deception. A negative deception is a deception whereby you don't hit the shuttlecock immediately but wait and hit it at a later time. This fraction of delays in second will exactly be a deceptive move that will confuse your opponent. Example of such deception is hold and hit. The positive deception occurred depends on the direction of the shuttlecock after it is hit immediately. This direction will be the deceptive move that will confuse your opponent. Example of a positive deception is a cross court net.

The important elements to executed well and beautiful trick shots depends hugely from the point of:

1. Wrist
    You need to have a powerful and flexible wrist to perform a fluent, well executed trick shots. By reducing much of the movement from you forearm and let most of the fine technical deception moves done with wrist, it will indeed be a miracle to see.

2. Grip
    As mention here, you need to have a good grip to do a fluent deception

3. Body movements
    Certain deception require you to move your body in a opposite way to confuse your opponent

4. Eyes movements.
    In certain advance level of type of deception, proper coordinating your eyes movements looking to another direction while performing a strokes in certain direction can lead to a deception

5. Timing
    Absolute correct timing is imperative to produce well executed deception especially for a negative type of deceptions such as hit and hold or double motion deceptions.

6. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

Hmm, I don't think it'll work with the people I play with.
    Unless it's really obvious, my opponents almost never move until I hit the birdie. The only exception is when I prepare for the net shot, they always rush up. They usually can't read whether I'm going to go cross court or not.

7. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    KYW917, you don't tell much about your level of play. As you write yourself, if the opponent don't work with anticipation, at least to some extent, I would agree with thejym, also for deception at your level (I guess).
    You can still use this information, as it mean that your opponent, get started to move in the direction kind of late...
    Instead, to trick your opponent work with habits in relation to tactic, that is get the opponent used to some patterns you play and then suddenly change this pattern.

8. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    if you want to be good at badminton, continue working on your normal strokes and deception/trick shots will naturally become part of your game.
    If you just want to goof around with friends, just keep practicing dumb shots and sometimes you'll get lucky. But for sure your game will not improve because you're forcing a shot you're not comfortable with.

between the leg and behind the back defense is sometimes a necessary shot when you don't have time to switch to backhand, which is why you'll see it somewhat regularly in high level doubles games. Again, advanced players don't practice it... that shot just comes naturally with experience.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it depends on how good you are compared to how good they are.

- if they are worse player than you, then you can probably use trick shot on them.

- if they are same level as you, your trick shots may work a couple of times, then they will start smartening up

- if they are better level than you, then likely that your trick shot may not work or work only once

10. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I agree with kwun. If you're good enough to make your trick shots work, then you're good enough to win without using trick shots.

11. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I find that that trick shots work best when you pair them with another more efficient shot. For instance, suppose on certain types of lifts you move back with a certain speed and posture because you know you're going to use the big smash. Your opponent might be able to recognize this and stay deep to be able to handle that smash. You could then recognize his adjustment, make sure to go into the shot with the same speed and posture but hit a different shot, maybe a slice for instance.

From the back of the court, trick shots are less effective but at the front, they are more effective. This is because the players are closer so there is less time to react. For various combinations of approach angles and racquet positions for net shots I'll have certain "go-to" shots that I'll use 90% of the time. When I get the sense that my opponent might be adjusting to one of my shots, then I'll go with the trick shot. Some ideas for things to do are crosscourts against body motion, double actions, double fakes, slices, etc.

12. GameGod

GameGod Regular Member

None
    The term "trick shot" refers not to deceptive play but to genuine circus-type shots used for show, fun and flash. These shots would only get you murdered in a high-level game, and are really not worth learning if you want to seriously improve your Badminton.

Deceptive skills, on the other hand, are very important. Since I am still improving and regard myself as a student rather than a teacher, I won't try to give you advice on them, but net deception isn't that difficult to master. Good luck.

13. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Couldn't agree more.. with one exception. If you're as pro as Lin Dan, you can do this and get away with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCw3TRx_zgY&feature=related

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..or we might end up being the one getting tricked by them..??? (goes back to the first scenario, reverse role)..:eek::eek:

15. soerjohn

soerjohn New Member

nothing
    I agree with you.. you should just improve your normal strokes and tricks shots will automatically developed