Choong Eng: My heart goes out to Chong Ming

Discussion in 'All England 2003' started by whizkelv, Feb 14, 2003.

1. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Sat, 15 Feb 2003

Badminton All-England:My heart goes out to Chong Ming
    Chew Choon Eng

TO say I am heartbroken would be an understatement.

Two months of planning has gone down the drain and to make it worse, the injury came out of the blue.

I have never had problems with my left ankle. I did injure the right side once but that was a long time ago.

I feel sorry for my partner. Chong Ming's birthday is on Sunday (tomorrow), and it would have been a grand way to celebrate it by winning the title.

I was told not to put too much pressure on my left foot for the next two weeks and this means I will have to hobble around on crutches.

It also means I will not be able to play in next week's Swiss Open.

Once again, it is Chong Ming my heart goes out to.

Everything was going so well for Chong Ming and I in Birmingham. We had a bye in the first round, giving us an extra day to acclimatise.

I woke up with a good feeling today (yesterday), confident we would win both our matches to reach the quarter-finals.

The match against the Russians was a breeze. We took the first game with the loss of only two points.

We were leading 1-0 when, while attempting to play a shot at the net, I heard a snap and pulled up.

The pain was unbearable. I hobbled off and signalled to the on-site doctor to have a look.

I tried to continue. I went back on court, we won another point but that was as far as I could go.

Chong Ming has been great. He was the one who initially told me to stop. I did not want to give up but the pain was just too much.

Why did this have to happen? Without sounding arrogant, I can safely say this was indeed a good draw for us.

We could have easily reached the semifinals but the dream is gone. Laid to rest for another year.

This setback, while painful is a minor one and I hope to come back better and stronger.