stringing machine!?!?!!?!?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by biggy, Feb 15, 2003.

1. biggy

biggy Regular Member

hey people

I've been playing bad.. for quite a while now and latle few month's ago an old friend of mine teached me how to string my rack.... as you can imagine i string my one rack.. since...... but i want to ask you guy' ssomething.

I notice that when i tring with a manual crank machine somehow then tention is not that exact .... and on the other side when i get the chance to tring it with a electronic machine ... it's really tigh ...

Any of you now how to string a rack... and have any suggestion about stringing racks.... any tips would be apreciated ... :):)

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    1. Never trust the numbers printed on the cranks or tensioner. Unless it just came out from the factory, even then you don't know, the tensioning springs might not be precise. Obtain a good calibration tool. You also have to check your calibration too from time to time.
    2. when you start your string job - try to complete it in one session. don't start then walk away doing something else. maintaining constant tension on the string in every pull is important. It also ensure even stretching as well.
    3. DON'T WORRY WHETHER YOU USE 2 KNOT or 4 KNOT METHOD. (search on that) It really doesn't matter, it is up to your technique that you learn from your friend. If you are comfortable using the method - stick with it. Later you can experiment for yourself, and you make your own decision.
    4. keep your work area clean. be careful when you are unraveling the string not to kink or snag the string on corners or edges. The string is very delicate.

5. MOST IMPORTANT - SEARCH THIS SITE BEFORE YOU ASK QUESTIONS - CHANCES ARE THESE QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED AND DEBATED DOZENS OF TIMES ALREADY.

3. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Oh yeah ... do 20 pushups before you do your next string job. Don't ask why - just do it! It really does help your stringing technique. Many of the other stringers here also do the same, each time they are about to string....

4. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

5. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I am in the process of purchasing a drop weight machine myself and am wondering if one can use one of those digital guages that fishermen use to calibrate the tensioner. With them being digital, I'm assuming that they would be accurate.

6. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    actually any fish scale or commercial scale would work. you do need to test the calibrator itself occasionally - but that can be a simple weight you know to be accurate. Usually dumbell weights are accurate to within 15%. Matter of testing one to become your reference point.

I did notice though, surfing the eagnas site, their calibrator tool (tcg-100) is on sale $14.95. Scales, especially precision one for fishing or other industry are pretty pricey as well, so maybe the actual one is a good deal.

I am using a plastic fish scale, and have found the precision within 1%. I have a hydraulic tensioner an older unit and it's tolerance is roughly 2.5% between pulls.

hey ryeung - btw: same as me... badrad = ryeung.

7. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

Hi badrad (or should I say ryeung :)).

I want to thank you for all your input in a previous thread.

I figured that a fish scale would work. I think you can get one for about $30 which will be about the same price as the eagnas one (by the time you factor in the shipping and exchange). Been meaning to get one for when I go fishing anyway, so it can do double duty. I can use some of the cast iron dumbell weights I have to calibrate the scale and they should be spot on.

btw, I'm still debating on which stringing machine to get. Maxline ships ups ground and ups will charge about $50 cdn to handle the brokerage. Seems like a lot considering there is no duties to be paid, just pst + gst. I've been trying to see if they can send it parcel post as canada post charges only $5 for handling.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Sorry for a stupid question...

Why we need to calibrate a drop-weight string machine? I mean, it's pure mech parts, and no spring or anything can be losen up attached.

I really don't think the tension should be varied unless the "weight" itself being heavily damaged.

9. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    drop weights are very consistent, unless suddenly gravity changes on us. But the initial set up of your machine, there are usually some rough markings of the post that the weight slides on. it is not often that these post relates to a tension poundage, they are more for reference and location of the weight.

using the calibration scale after you get your initial test pulls - you can mark off on the post the positions for the corresponding weight to be for the desired tensions. Usually, unless something screws up in the machine (you drop the machine or weight gets cracked, even aging of the parts (friction), etc) the marked settings should remain steady. So it might be advantageous to borrow one rather than buy one. I always had one even with my old drop weight just to be sure what tension, even though I had it marked off.

Also, something to note, most factory markings on these posts - if any, are guaged to tennis tensions levels rather than badminton tensions.

#9 badrad, Feb 17, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2003
  10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Hey we may be related? I think we around same age - OLD...

My scale cost around $12 at Canadian Tire. My wife sometimes steals to weight goods. Leaves crap all over it... It re-test it occasionally to make sure is true. I have some freeweights in various increments to ensure measures correctly.

I think for maxline, they ship UPS because it is simpler for them. UPS pick up the shipment. Post does not, unless it's large corporation. I remember calling them once, it was like a small business operation. So probably if they were to send it by post, they have to drive the parcel out to the closest depot, and not worth their time and effort to save you money.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Agree.

For my Klipper M140, this machine is also designed for tennis. The marks are for tennis (with a heavier weight, and tennis string clamp).

When I purchased this set for badminton, they gave me a lighter badminton weight, and 2 smaller baddy string clamps. Also, there's a "conversion table" printed on the machine, to let me know how to convert the marks. For example, if I want 20lb on baddy, it's like around 50 or 60 something on the original mark.

12. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I doubt that we are related. As far as I know, I don't have any relatives in BC. And I try darn hard to not think of myself as "old".

It does appear that maxline is a small company. I did check at the post office and they told me the maximum weight is around 30 lbs. The 2 machines I am looking at, flex740 and easy3, both weigh in at over 50 lbs. I wonder if it is possible to not have ups handle the brpkerage. I assume that would mean that I would have to pick it up at whatever customs office that is the closest. Depending on where that is, may be worthwhile.

Contrary to what I have been reading on different forums about maxline, they have been pretty good about answering emails. I generally get a reply within 24 hours. Only trouble is sometimes they don't quite answer the questions I asked.

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Nah... that's why we are forever YEUNG... hahahahah... Now that one's old.

If you have them send it post, Canada Post will pick up the initial tab. You pay any duties or taxes at the post office when you collect it.
    I seem to remember answers from Maxline were based on their having a hard time understanding english... When I spoke to them by phone, they spoke Mandarin initially.

14. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

There is quite a charge from ups, about $50 while cp only charges $5. And there is no duty.

15. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    That's good deal from CP. How will you handle the max weight problem?

16. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I don't think that there is a way to handle the weight problem. I emailed maxline and asked them if they would consider splitting the package into 2. They just emailed back and ignored the question completely. Just said that it is more expensive to send by parcel post. And then repeated the ups shipping charges again. All things considered, eagnas machines seem to be the best bang for the buck. It's not likely that anyone else will split a package. Looks like I'm going to be stuck with the brokerage fees. Could always try to buy from Lily Co. directly but it'll probably more hassle than it's worth.

17. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    that's too bad. $45 will go towards buying string supplies.

My friend in Australia recently bought the Smart 909 from Eagnas. I think he dealt directly with Taiwan, the order was shipped from there. It took a month for delivery by sea, and when it arrived, it was missing some critical bolts and securing hardware. Although they promptly mailed out a replacement set for the missing hardware, my friend wound up having to go to local hardware store to obtain the missing pieces. If not he probably would have had to wait another two or three weeks until these other pieces finally arrive.

He did some string jobs, and sent me two Ashaways with his string worksmanship. Impressive, tight - but we have a discrepancy in tension. He says he strung at 22/23, and I and few others felt it more like 26. Pete_lsd, WWC and Marky got a chance to see and hit with the Ashaway (TMP990) which is a dead knockoff of the MP99.

18. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

That's the biggest concern with buying overseas. Good luck getting replacement parts if there is a problem. Kinda surprised that the tension is not on, considering the price of the machine.

19. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

Just got an email back from maxline and they can send the easy-3 by parcel post for $10 more. I am still leaning towards the flex740. I think I will buy that one if they can send it by post as well.

20. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    noticed the price discount for the flex 740. that's a better deal than the easy3. also the 6 point suspension works quite well, it is identical to the smart series.