About learning curve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by J.j_chan, Aug 17, 2010.

1. J.j_chan

J.j_chan Regular Member

Student
    The Title say it all, i want to how that when do we reach our learning curve,i mean like will there be some element that allow us that we have reach our learning curve?

2. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hai there chan,

I think it is "when do we reach our learning curve and are there elements that shows us that we have reached our learning curve?". Firstly, a "learning curve" is a graph that shows the rate of learning, the progress on how a individual master certain skill against a given time. If you plot this in a piece of paper, the x axis will be your time frame while the y axis will be the skills/tasks.

In the context of Badminton, to understand one's "learning curve" is to clearly understand at first what are the skills/tasks that the individual needs to master. If it is about the level in how you play Badminton (beginner, intermediate and advance), then the answer in regards with your question "elements that shows us that we have reached our learning curve" will actually refers to all the skills that the learner has mastered at that particular level.

Referring to the question "when do we reach our learning curve", and in regards to the above context, then this question is referring to the time frame required to master those skills/task at that particular level. However, the answer to this question will vary , since to master those skills in that particular level will results in different time frame from one individual to another. This differences in time frame occurs because Badminton is a sports that has both vast theoretical and also applied practical information that need to be mastered. This practical content that in fact will actually consume most of the time and to master it require long period of hard work and dedication. By understanding this, therefore for a beginner to progress to an intermediate level, it is unlikely to identify the exact time frame when will the learner will reach there.

3. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    A learning curve is only a theory, but a working theory. As soon as you start playing you are at some point on the learning curve and when initially picking up a skill progress is quick, as the player spends more time practicing you mover closer to the top, but to reach the plateau at the top (impossible in my opinion) it takes many hours of training.
    I shall attempt to make a mini graph for you (y axis skill level, x axis hours of practice, . to format graph shape)
    | . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..__ (top plateau)
    | . . . . . . . ________/
    | . . . . . __/ (mini plateau, practice of expert skills)
    | . . .. _/ (mini plateau, moving up from Intermediate techniques to expert)
    | . . _/ (mini plateau, moving up from beginner techniques to intermediate)
    | .. / (initial learning stage)
    | . /
    |_/
    |_____________________ (non-participant)

I hope that helps, or am I way off the mark of your question

#3 Andy05, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010