is this illegal behavior?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by bigying, Aug 18, 2010.

1. bigying

bigying Regular Member

ERP Consultant
    is it illegal to stomp your foot (really hard) while hitting (like a drop shot, especially at the net) to fake out one's opponent?

2. laivc

laivc Regular Member

Sales
    Of course NO, it is not illegal.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Nope - perfectly legal; I often do it to disguise the sound of the shot.

4. malsharpes

malsharpes Regular Member

Computers
    As well as being bad manners it is also a fault, Rule 13.4.5

"deliberately distracts an oppenent by any action such as shouting or making gestures"

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Not sure if stomping your foot can be construed to be a "gesture."

6. supersheep1988

supersheep1988 Regular Member

coach
    it is not illiegal....

7. malsharpes

Computers
    Hmmm... I suppose the next debate will be about calling shots out to wind up your oppenents. The rules are crystal clear - distracting or attempting to distract your oppenent is a fault.

8. krysser

krysser Regular Member

I'm sorry to say it malshapes but it is not a fault, you are not distracting your oppenent by stomping you foot while you are hitting the shuttle.
    But if you are stomping your foot while your oppenent are hitting the shuttle then it is a fault.
    Just as it is not a fault shouting "out" to your partner in doubles when he is about to hit the shuttle, but if you shout out to the oppenent then it is a fault.

9. malsharpes

Computers
    The original post was about stamping to distract the oppenent. Any attempt to distract an oppenent is fault, regardless of what point of the rally the attempt occurs.
    To be absolutely pendantic you are not supposed to call out until the shuttle has hit the ground. You can tell your partner to leave it, miss it, away or call out a code word but if you call "out" before the shuttle hits the ground then you have committed a fault.
    Granted at the level most of us here play at attempting to distract an oppenent is more likely to work against us and most people won't be concerned about what you say to your partner but if you are discussing the rules then you have to be pendantic.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Well, OK, the opponent at the professional level is more likely to be distracted by the noise the crowd may be making, than that little stomp on the other side of the net. Especially if you are playing in one of the Asian countries! :D

In any case, does the good book have anything to say about stomping, specifically?

How about feinting at the net then? Everyone claps and applauds and oohs and aahs at a cleverly executed feint. So if you want to get really pedantic (and incidentally it's spelt pedantic, not pendantic, but now I'm getting doubly pedantic aren't I? :),) how about interpreting a feint according to the rule "deliberately distracts an oppenent by any action such as shouting or making gestures" ;):(:confused: Wouldn't the feint qualify as illegal by your line:
    "Any attempt to distract an oppenent is fault, regardless of what point of the rally the attempt occurs."
    Distract being the operative word...

Your serve... :):)

11. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    i don't think foot stomping is a bad gesture

its not a smart way for distraction and you could end up with some injury

i think that big bad dirty grin with your eyes starring at your opponent works better!

and of course the most effective are your words....

12. krysser

krysser Regular Member

Well after reading the OP again, I must say the OP dosn't mention anything about distracting the opponent, but rather fake the opponent, as part of a trick shot (as I understand it) so rule 13.4.5 dosn't really apply here.
    Besides the only one who can actually use this rule is an umpire, and I have never in the 15 years I have been an umpire heard of any umpire useing this rule against stomping a foot while hitting the shuttle.
    But then again it is all up to the umpire to descide if it is distracting the opponent, and it is done deliberately.

/Krysser who might have to read the OP better

13. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    of course you as the umpire know better than us!

i think this stomping applies to club level or lower!

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It should be OK to fake out one's opponent by stomping one's foot

In Badminton, it should be OK to fake out one's opponent by stomping one's foot. However, in previous posts, some BCers have mentioned that one shouldn't be distracting/annoying one's opponent.

Have a read of this thread below (It covers grunting/yelling/screaming, using it to win by annoying one's opponent);
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...during-play-considered-not-good-for-Badminton

15. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

This rule (13.4.5) is applicable only during play, meaning the server is ready with the first forward movement of racket and play lasts until the rally ends or let is called. All other player actions are to be honourable and sportsman-like.

Bad manners are called [mis]conduct. Behaving in an offensive manner is one of them, and the other one is being guilty of misconduct not otherwise covered in the laws (this covers all situations). This could be gestures (with fingers and hands), fisting, looking in a threatening manner, shouting in the player's direction at end of rally, yo-mama quips, any and every such thing.

Ah yes, during a match, this would also include a player letting the mobile ring, on court. That means right from when that player enters court to leaving its immediate surroundings.

Have a light read of Part III Section 1B, Appendix 4 of the handbook, methinks regulations 4.6, .10 and .16 cover player's behaviour.

#15 2wheels04, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011