Good Old Grandstand!!!!

Discussion in 'All England 2003' started by Matt Ross, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi there,

Been up all morning, looking foward to watching the All England on BBC 2, to find that skiing was on, then straight to rugby. Badminton hadn't been on, or i had missed it. Anyway, i emailed grandstand and the reply i got was...

'The highlights are on NEXT sundays show. Rugby today takes up the bulk of our ourtime'

So why bloody schedual it for today when they knew rugby was on?! IT AINT EVEN BLOODY ENGLAND PLAYING!! I am furious that the BBC have done this, absolutely appauling.

Matt

2. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

msia wins the singles final and it was even available in any form of TV coverage here!

3. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Matt,

You partly answered your own question. England was not playing in the All-England finals as well. If any English person/team made it to the finals, it would probably have been telecasted live.

Ron

4. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Matt,

You fully answered your own question there. The BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) does not just cover English stuff. There are other countries in Britain besides England, and they have just as much right as England to have their matches and sports shown.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Matt's point is why write down that badminton is scheduled to be shown and then pull it off when the replacement sport is already known to be on the same day. Why not just scedule the AE h'lights for the next week in the first place?

6. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I fully agree that it was shocking that they didn't show it on the BBC. I looked at the schedule for yesterday and couldn't see where they could fit it in. As it happens, I was watching the sky coverage anyway.

The bit I was referring to was the bit in capitals "IT AINT EVEN BLOODY ENGLAND PLAYING!!". It seems that Matt was suggesting that it might have been OK if England had been playing, but since it was Scotland v Ireland it was disgraceful. I don't want to turn this into an argument but I'm sick of seeing people (esp from England) using Britain when they mean England in a discussion.

7. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

It was on Sky Sports live...

They even showed the semi's on saturday.

8. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The quarter finals were also on Sky on Friday night.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Point noted. It's like the definition of a 'foreigner'.....

Anyway, enough on this particular point which is diverging away.
    On with the next tournament and happy badminton playing.

10. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I have said this before, and I will say this again. With this attitude, badminton in England will always be a leisure sport...just that, nothing more.
    Baofe is a weak organisation, getting pushed around by BBC. I have been paying attention o the BBC news website for the past two weeks. To keep a long story short, go to the sports section, type in "badminton" at search and see what you find.

All I can say is that it is a pity as badminton is the most played sport in the UK, and some kid out there is just waiting to be noticed.

11. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    Why don't they simply get is shown on Channel 5 - i'm sure they'd be willing to take it up.

or even channel 4

they could easily fit the ad's in between rally's and during towel breaks and game changeovers

come of Mr. Baddely get ur act together

Neil

12. andrew_cherry

andrew_cherry Regular Member

Software Engineer
    with that said - it was nice to see some badminton on terrestrial tv, even if it was only the highlights.

however - the commentary was dull and uninformed, and i was left thinking that most people wouldn't want to watch this - you'd have to already like badminton. i don't know what it was, but it just didn't seem good on tv. weird...