Hafiz is an inspiration to us all

Discussion in 'All England 2003' started by wl2172, Feb 16, 2003.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

The fierce gleam in his eyes, the clenched fists after winning a point, the steady and measured steps between serves or towel sessions...all the signs were there when I first saw him on Friday...the making of an All England Champion.
    Hafiz does not pump his fists at his opponents, nor shout loudly after winning a difficult rally. At most, it is just a clenched fist...or a huff showing his satisfaction.
    His thoughtful play against Hock Kin and Chen Yu went unnoticed by most, as they were not at the centre court. Deep down, I guess that's how he likes it--keep a low profile and strike when the chance comes. Even back in Malaysia, all he offered the press was that he will try his best for the quarterfinals, and that he does not really like the cold.
    With Tsuen Seng's defeat to Chen Hong, this is what he had to say when some of the journalists talked to him on Saturday after his victory over Chen Yu: " Tsuen Seng has shown me the way to play Chen Hong this time, his loss will not be a waste." To any fallen player, that would have to be the most comforting words. We were all very touched by his sincerity and humility, and it is difficult to imagine that he is only 20. Similarly, Tsuen Seng told the reporters that he sort of knew he might not make it past Chen Hong late in the third set, so he wanted to keep him on court for as long as possible to tire him out for Roslin and possibly Hafiz in the final. Such selfless acts by these two young players from Malaysia can only mean one thing...a bright future for Malaysian badminton. Their heads, and more importantly, their hearts are in the right place. They not only play for themselves, but they also play for each other and the country.
    Hafiz's victory did not come easy in the final. Chen Hong took a 10-4 lead before Hafiz could get his shots right. Before long, Chen was leading 14-8. But with every point won, I could tell that Hafiz's confidence was growing. The whole arena was behind Hafiz as everyone could see the determination. The victory point in the second set came when Hafiz was 14-10 up, and when Chen Hong's shot hit the net, only then did he allow himself to scream with sheer delight. In the background, a tearful Misbun hugged Kim Hock, both of them living their never achieved dreams through this amazing young lad. The arena erupted with joy as their favoured son has shown that dreams can be achieved with the right attitude, right approach and humility. In the corridor on my way home, I saw a young English boy urging his father to buy him a badminton racket and some other equipment. As the corridor was relatively quiet, I could hear him saying:" Dad, I want to be like Hafiz, I want to be like Hafiz...” I did not linger around to see if the boy got what he wanted, but it was then that I realised what it takes to capture people's imagination and to be a hero, and I nearly wanted to turnaround and buy that kid what he wanted.

2. faizal

faizal Regular Member

thre is something different in hafiz. knew that he would b someone someday. always knew that he has the right attitude. looks like he just wait for the moment to show it to the world. he has the potential and the right attitude to be a new world champion. he had succeeded where his seniors and coach failed.

looks like malaysian badminton has produced another winner. this what happened if everybody in malaysian badminton put their time and effort together and do not squabble. there should be only one badminton academy in malaysia. no more BAM or Nusa Mahsuri or whatever. this is the result if all those ppl really sit together and play badminton!

rgds

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    All the seniors and coaches have had potential and chances to be a world champion.
    Worst problem is that expectations have always been too high AND too early. For instance, Lee Chong Wei, as new national champion, was expected to beat Ng Wei (from Star Online). In reality, you only have to go the All England website to find out. Isn't that abnormal expectation?

Similarly, can anybody name the last singles player who managed to win four tournaments in a one year period? It might have been Peter Gade and he hasn't won the World Championship or Olympic. (All England once). Taufik won 3 last year I think. (ABC, Taiwan, Indonesian)

4. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Cheung is right that the competition is a lot stiffer now than the Rudy Hartono era or the even earlier era. I believe I read that Chen Hong won 4 tournaments last year including the All-England. At the top level, the skill difference is minimal, but a winning drive goes a long way. Malaysian players (males at least) have the skill level to compete with the very best and do have strong winning spirits but have lacked the ultimate winning drive that the greats have (i.e., Rudy Hartona, Svend Pri, Liem Swee King, Yang Yang, Han, and maybe Chen Hong and Peter Gade). It is vey hard to say in the modern era who is truly great as the competition is very stiff and even the best can loose to a fired but inconsistent player.

I hope that Hafiz will prove to be consistent and win a lot more tournaments. At 20, he has a great future ahead of him, baring injury. Winning the All-England will give his confidence a big boost. He is also of the humble type but will a strong drive inside. Now, will Hafiz win the Swiss and World Championship? If he wins the Swiss, his ranking will go up very fast.

Ron

5. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Chen Hong won 3 titles last year, at the All-England, Singapore, and Denmark Opens. He also made it to the gold-medal finals twice at Indonesia and home soil China. Not bad for a guy who was not even selected onto the Chinese Thomas Cup squad. It seemed that he had trouble during the time when the scoring was 5x7. Once it returned to 3x15, he was rolling again.

6. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Just read in the star that Hafiz will not play in the Swiss Open and will go back to Malaysia and face a Hero's welcome. While I do admit that Hafiz's feat is fantastic, he should just learn to concentrate on his game and play in the Swiss. In his form, he might just win the Swiss. Going back to Malaysia as a Hero is just not what he needs. I hope it does not go to his head and result in him loosing his focus. He is good because he has focus and should avoid all distractions except winning. If he looses focus then, he might end up like his brother Roslin who got to be number 1, lost focus, and started a loosing streak.

Ron

7. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I agree with you. But I think Misbun did say that Hafiz was mentally and physically drained, and will not be able to be at his best. This also gives a chance for the others to prove themselves.

8. faizal

faizal Regular Member

IT is about two weeks already since Hafiz won the AE but celebration for Hafiz "The New Champion" at home is far from over. Sheeesh ... i dont know if other champion also celebrated their victory this long.

The PM said dont spoil him but look what is happening...I think one day hafiz would get his Datukship...

rgds

9. faizal

faizal Regular Member

now there was a suggestion to put hafiz's face on a stamp! sheesh...

10. volcom

volcom Regular Member

agreed even 7 years later :D

11. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

volcom, nothing to do is it?:p

12. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Just the title said "Hafiz is an inspiration to us all"....
    He falls, He fails, he stumbles but he never give up because he never try!

13. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Haha just been watching some old video classics such as xia xuanze vs taufik in AE2000 which was amazing....
    checking out old threads :p

14. ayiee1976

ayiee1976 Regular Member

Internal Auditor
    He reach quater final yesterday in BAC beating vietnam player, while the rest MAS MS bow down....so for MAS the 3 top dog is still LCW, WCH & HH...while the rest is only....ordinary. So glooming future for malaysia...at least in MS department.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    he's yoyo, now on the up cycle;)

16. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    Volcom, my have a lot of free time to dig this thread out..

Hafiz have real skills. Even better skills to LCW but he wasted it cause i dunno lazy maybe. When i saw him training in KLRC. He is always the last one to finish the physical training.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

#18 george@chongwei, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I think we should be less harsh with the guy, has he any record of saying arrogant things or whatever? (pls don't reply on this point here).

Maybe he is a victim of circumstances, moulded in a tiny private club
    at loggerheads with mighty BAM without access to its facilities, froeign coaches and technology.

He is back with BAM but old habits die hard.He is a good player with good skills but maybe his approach to the game cannot compete with players from stronger nations. He seems to have good racquet skills like his mentors but seem unable to break out of his old mindset of playing his guts out and cutting out the fancy stuff,for example.

I think I have seen such problems with many players coached by their parents and trying to join the national squad. They may dominate the ranks
    domestically, but when up against the world people read their games like a book and they have difficulty changing their style to keep up with other technologies.
    I think a choice should be made between an eclectic style against one moulded by local talent into a local brand.Time will tell.

20. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    Well said Bbn... Well said..

Hafiz just need to breakthrough from this... he is just so deceptive in his game play