Other Sports?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I was just curious, what other sports do you play?

How do they affect your badminton?

I play football (soccer), squash, volleyball, atheletics, swimming, golf and a little cricket. Badminton sometimes clashes with Squash because of the racket heads and the arm/wrist technique involved in both. I find that i can never play Badminton and Squash on the same day. The 2nd one i play will be messed up..... anyone else have similar problems?

thanx for all replies......

2. LowBrain

LowBrain Guest

Well, I am a squash player. I have only tried playing badminton recently. Always used to though it was a sissy game. It looks sissy!

Don't any more though. It's quite hard and you have to be quite strong to hit that little birdie.

Back to the subject. Yes, I do find the to game totally different and since I've started playing badminton, my squash game has degraded. My squash experience doesn't help me with badminton at all. I have re-program the hitting action; hitting a drive with no swing or body motion, just the waist.

3. Phil

Phil Guest

I play Badminton, Volleyball, Basketball, Athletics and a few others.

The problem I had was with Volleyball. Because I used a full arm swing motion to spike the volleyball, when I started Badminton, I used my whole arm in a volleyball-style swing to hit the bird.

4. Don

Don Regular Member

I play squash, tennis and badminton. I don't really notice a difference in my hitting strokes between the sports, since I can adjust quite easily. The foot work is a little confusing, but once I get into my rhythem then problems are nonexistent. I also rock climb, play american football, bike, swim, hike, paddle, row, kayak, wind sail.. etc.. Whatever floats my boat basically...

5. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    The only sport I use to play is badminton. But now since I have PE (which I haven't taken in 2-3 years in high school and I'm a senior now), I started playing racketball. Racketball is the bomb diggidy man. My partner and I be dominating. But other than that, I don't play anything else.

6. Brett

Brett Regular Member

I play the following sports: golf, bicycling, tennis, skiing, hiking, softball and an occasional game of ping pong or bowling. I sometimes had a problem adjusting from the length of a badminton racket to a ping paddle, but I solved that problem by playing ping pong left handed. A long, long time ago, a friend of mine and I had some rum, a ping pong table, and not much else to do, so we played about four straight hours of left-handed ping pong, Kelvin style. I discovered I was about as good left-handed as right-handed. Sometimes I will switch hands in the middle of a match and it confuses the opposing player.

Anyone run into an ambidextrous badminton player? We have one that drops by about once a season, who is a very effective player (at least for our league). The guy is very quick, has good footwork and anticipation and a really decent touch. I would guess he has been playing for 20+ years and is probably about 60 or so years old. I think I have improved a lot since I last played with him, but I am sure that he can still kick my butt, even at nearly twice my age. He always receives serve in the even court playing left handed and will switch hands in the middle of a ralley so he doesn't have to hit backhand clears or smashes.

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    I play..

I also play Canadian football (CFL RULES!!!!)
    Soccer, Volleyball, Golf, Tennis, Ice Hockey, Basketball, Downhill ski, cross country skiing, hmm... a little pingpong, field hockey, street hockey, streetball, powerlifting (yes it's a sport), and other various weight training things....
    I bike, I'm a long distance runner.

That is really strange to be ambidextrous in badminton of all sports :)
    I've played against 2 guys that are like 74+ :) they've obviously played longer than me, at more than 3 times my age, but it's still fun... great shot placement I must say. My left handed play is much weaker than my right... that's why I take such good care of my right arm... (being sarcastic here...) without you rightarm, I'd be lost. I love you right arm! *giving myself a self-hug now*

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Other sports?

I play pc games like quake 3, superbike, motocross madness. I do some biking lately because of bus driver strike (but only for 20 blocks). I'm thinking buying a situp bench to improve my abdominal strength for harder smashes. Does my hammer swinging in home renovation count as sport?

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How do you guys do so many sports? Where got time?

I only have time for one sport....badminton (of course). But in my time I have played:
    table tennis, squash, tennis (school team as well!)
    football (soccer)
    martial arts!

So these are the ones that I have done on a regular basis at some time in the past.

10. Don

Don Regular Member

It's called great time management... plus it's a seasonal thing... I can't wind surf now on the frozen ottawa river...

11. May

May Guest

That's ryt. I play Table-tennis, can't play tennis cos I can't seem to swing the racquet, bicycle, squash, run, and just abt anything that is indoor and not in the water. Sometimes, just warming up can dispell problems adapting with 2 games.

12. viver

viver Regular Member

Nowadays I am lucky if I could get 1 day to play badminton. My other free days are spent watching my kids soccer practice. Long long time ago I did basketball, football (soccer), volleyball, judo, karate, field hockey, tennis and table tennis. Interestingly enough badminton was my last sport and at that time took it because I had nothing to do and it became my passion.

It should be interesting to watch ambidextrous people playing badminton. I used to play a guy that used to switch hands so he never had to use backhand but was having all kind of problems with his matching footwork. :)