Court lighting at Open tournaments

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by rejang, Feb 16, 2003.

1. rejang

rejang Regular Member

I can't fail to notice that generally the lighting of Open tournaments in Europe is much better than that held in Asia. Venues such as that of the just concluded AE only has lighting on the court/s in play; the surrounding where the audiences are, the stands etc etc are dimmed off. This way, there is less distraction to the players on the court of movements and/or nuances in the audiences. This allows them to focus and concentrate their attention on the court and opponents. Furthermoe this is so much better to watch on TV.
    In most, if not all Asian venues, the whole stadium is lighted up. As a result, players are distracted by movements of fans in/out for various reasons (toilets etc). It is also less attractive to watch on TV.
    Wonder anyone feels the same way, and would the IBF recommends the appropriate lighting for tournaments.

2. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Same cant be said of the English Nationals - I cant believe they play it at The Triangle in Burgess Hill. It must be one of the worst multi-court venues to play badminton in Sussex. It is going to Bolton for the next few year, so things might improve. Did anyone go to the Commonwealth Games? What was the venue like?

3. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    yeah, bolton is a good venuw - simiilar set up as the all england - only the courts in use are lit and the crowds are dimmed out - i think this is certainly the best set up - along with those roll otu courts ( i wish they'd buy them for our club :D)

Neil