Confuse with the string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by AhLunn, Aug 23, 2010.

1. AhLunn

AhLunn Regular Member

I saw many ppl said that the main string tension is lower the the cross. That means if Main tension is at 24lbs then the cross should higher about 2lbs (26lbs). I took my racket and tried push the string i feel that my Main string is harder then my Cross string. Will this hurt my racket??

If Main 24lbs x Cross 26lbs = 25lbs?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Hi AhLunn,

a few points. whether to add a couple of lbs (or ~10%) depends on your preferences. some stringers do that, some do not.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?81408-my-new-main-cross-ratio

as for you feeling that main is tighter than cross, i wonder how you managed to do that? since the strings are already weaved together, it will be very difficult to find out their exactly tension. if you try to pluck the strings at the end, it is not accurate as human are very bad at sensing minute differences as small as 10% and also the length of the string makes a lot of difference.

a string segment 1 foot long @ 20lbs will feel softer than a string segment 1 inch long @ 10lbs.

3. AhLunn

AhLunn Regular Member

I use my finger to push one of the Main and cross string at the middle of the racket. I found it Main wont move to much but the Cross very easy to move.

4. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    Weird I did the exact tensions for my rackets and none of the strings are easy to move.