Hong Kong/China affairs and events

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Bbn, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

This is NOT MY thread. I open this because I want to make some inquiries.

Anyone can post whatever related events they wish :

1) I have been trying to watch reruns of classic HK movies I grew up with but they are unavailable :

a) Father and Son (Fu Ji Ching)- Has this film been re-released?
    b) Cream Soda and Milk- Only on Vcd any DVD release?

2) The great series of the 70s. THE CHAMELEON-PIN SIK LOONG-Not even any mention in the internet. What happened? The first series ran in 70s and there was a sequel in the 90s. There has been no re-production on DVD unlike others,what happened? Have all the tapes been lost?

2. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Overheard Ian Wright on Astro commenting on China's method of developing athletes.

Seems there is a book called "Mao's Last Dance" written by a Chinese ballerina who defected to the US,

The book details the selection process of athletes before they are assigned sports to excel in.

3. viver

viver Regular Member

Hey Bbn,

Any thoughts of living in Canada? It may help you to lessen this 'longing' of yours...

Not long ago the Chinese TV station here aired the series like The Chameleon, Sword of the Third Master, Hotel, etc... ;) Currently showing, don't know the name of the series - starring Yong JingJing and the late Danny Chan PakCheung. :D

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Serious Viver? You mean the Chameleon series is still available? Well I'll keep looking, it will give me
    many hours of blissful entertainment now that I have time for it.
    Anyway keep posting here, you know you are all under-represented.

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Watched a documentary about Canada about how in the 80s and 90s she actively engaged in a policy

of encouraging immigration from East Asia as she was banking on a future tied to East Asia.

Did the vision come true, was it correct foresight? Is Canada benefiting from this Eastern connection?

All I know is that in the post 2007 debacle,most Canadian companies remained largely unscatched.

USA & UK used to be the largest investors in China, what about Canada?

Anyway this original series Chameleon is interesting because it a story of 3 neighbours and 3 kids growing uo together,one become a stuffy lawyer, another a crooked Cop and another a wheeler dealer.
    Father and Son is a famous movie about how a father struggled to send his air-head son to study overseas
    because of lack of opportunities on the homefront.It is a really tragic but down to earth story.
    Cooler would fit in well in this thread.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i was in Vancouver last month.

the whole of Vancouver is just like a very large Chinatown, Chinese stores, Chinese malls, Chinese people everywhere. the city is well run, modern, clean, organized.

there is so much business activities going on there, and much of which have been supported by Chinese people. i wonder what Vancouver will be like if they didn't allow a mass influx of immigrants and their money?

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

A very tragic event

Published: Wednesday August 25, 2010 MYT 9:38:00 PM

Bodies, survivors of Manila hijack drama head home

MANILA, Philippines (AP) - Most survivors of a tragic hostage drama were returning home to Hong Kong along with the bodies of eight slain tourists Wednesday, while the Philippines grappled with outrage over police mishandling and botched negotiations with the gunman.

The interior secretary acknowledged police were ill-prepared and that a series of lapses might have instigated bloodshed Monday when the hostage-taker, a disgruntled ex-policeman demanding his job back, killed eight bus passengers and shot others before a police sniper killed him.

Nine other passengers had been released hours earlier and seven were rescued from the bullet-riddled bus, three of them is serious condition.

One of the wounded will remain in intensive care in Manila, and another will be brought back on a medivac plane, said Hong Kong Undersecretary for Security T.K. Lai.

The rest were to fly aboard a chartered plane to Hong Kong later Wednesday after a Buddhist ceremony and a send-off by military officers at the Manila airport, Philippine Welfare Secretary Dinky Soliman said.

Workers at a funeral parlor loaded the coffins into wooden boxes for the flight home. They left for the airport in a caravan of hearses led by a police car. A small group of about 10 people, hands clasped in front of their chests, hummed a Buddhist chant.

President Benigno Aquino III, facing his first major crisis since taking office on June 30, declared Wednesday a national day of mourning in solidarity with the people of Hong Kong. Flags were lowered at government offices and embassies.

A consternated China demanded a full investigation. The Chinese ambassador visited Aquino on Tuesday, and the president talked on the phone with Hong Kong leader Donald Tsang.

Philippine Interior Secretary Jessie Robredo, who is in charge of the national police, acknowledged there were problems with how the crisis was handled.

"Had we been better prepared, better equipped, better trained, maybe the response would have been quicker despite the difficulty," Robredo told The Associated Press.

He added, "All the inadequacies happened at the same time."

Manila police chief Rodolfo Magtibay offered to go on leave while the investigation was ongoing.

The assault firearms used by police commandos will be subjected to ballistic tests to determine if some of the hostages were hit by police gunfire, officials said.

Authorities were criticized for failing to prevent the brother of hostage-taker Roland Mendoza, who is also a policeman, from intervening in the negotiations.

Police officials said the brother urged Mendoza not to continue the talks unless authorities return his firearm, which was confiscated from him during the standoff.

Gregorio Menzona then threw a tantrum in front of TV cameras, which were broadcasting the daylong drama live, apparently prompting his brother to start shooting.

Filipino driver Alberto Lubang, who said he escaped as Mendoza opened fire, said the gunman was watching his brother resisting being handcuffed and loaded into a police car on TV inside the hijacked bus.

Aquino on Monday also criticized TV coverage, saying that footage of Mendoza's brother being taken into custody "might have further agitated the hostage-taker."

A heartbreaking picture emerged of the victims - a mother of three who lost her husband and two daughters, an injured teenager oblivious of her parents' deaths and a tour guide who aspired to become a yoga teacher.

Britain's Foreign Office said that two of the hostages who were released were British nationals. Three of the fatalities were Canadian, Philippine police said.

Survivor Amy Ng mourned the deaths of her husband Ken Leung, whom she said confronted the gunman, and daughters Doris and Jessie, aged 21 and 14. Her son, Jason, was wounded in the head and she will stay in Manila with him until he is fit to fly back.

"I thought I would fight for survival so I could take care of my children, but two of them have already died," a sobbing Ng said Tuesday.

A bedridden, catatonic Tracey Wong told Hong Kong reporters she hid under a seat on the bus while Mendoza fired at the hostages.

"I want to find daddy and mommy quickly and see if they're OK," the 15-year-old said.

But Hong Kong's radio RTHK reported that both her parents were among those killed, identifying her father as 51-year-old Wong Tze-lam.

Tour operator Hong Thai Travel Services general manager Susanna Lau praised a slain tour guide, 31-year-old Masa Tse, for his vigilance and decadelong service.

TV footage showed him peeking out of the bus during his captivity and later with one hand handcuffed to a position near the bus door.

© 1995-2010 Star Publications (Malaysia) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)

8. viver

viver Regular Member

Are you referring the Chameleon, this series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLwav9l__K0

I believe you may be able to get the series. Somehow the local Chinese TV station, Fairchild is able to find and broadcast old TV series from TVB and RTV/ATV from the 70's and 80's. They do also show old Cantonese movies, some of which I would like to record - specially when they show the city in the days when I grew up and reminisce the good old days.

9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Thanks Viver, that clip is the 1st part of the series.Nice to know that the images are still intact,

unlike the Chow Yuen Fatt stuff like "Man in the net". That clip uploaded was one of the most unpleasant part of the series

fighting over women. Problem is this is not TVB, but ATV which is harder to get.

I'll start searching but most uploaded is the 2nd and 3 rd part sequels which is not so interesting as they were made in 80s and 90s.

70s stuff are so interesting and complete with the values and philosophy of those times.

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

11. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yes, Richmond looks like one big Chinatown. Vancouver looks nice but is the most expensive city to live in North American once you factor in the average income of the locals. Vancouver is still a mining town . . .