mcl injury

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by tighri, Feb 17, 2003.

1. tighri

tighri Regular Member

Technical Consultant
    does anyone here sprained their mcl (medial collateral ligament) before? how many months did it take before you played again.

i sprained my mcl in my left knee last september. i am right handed so my left leg is more powerful knee. according to the doctor, i should give my sprained mcl 6 months to heal. so right now, i can't play badminton.

does anyone know any excerices that would help strengthen my left leg/knee muscle? Please advice.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Strange, I thought the Doctor would have suggested some exercises.

Did you tell him you were a badminton fanatic? If so, you could have asked for a physio referral. They could explain much better.

3. tighri

tighri Regular Member

Technical Consultant
    thanks for the reply cheung. I actually injured my left knee mcl in a baskeball tournament. My physical therapist has actually given me some exercises which should strengthen the muscles around the mcl since the mcl is already weak as it was injured.

maybe some players here (including you) in the forum have other badminton exercises/drills that target the knee muscles for strengthing.

4. txyu

txyu Regular Member

Manager Fitness Facility
    My knees are pretty shot...and I couldn't even do 50lbs on leg extensions....I did start doing squats and leg presses a lot and now I'm up to 150lbs on leg extensions

This is just me though...might not work for you....I believe the squats helped balance out my muscle inbalances in my legs...but form is so crucial...

Listen to your physio therapist and do the exercises...some may seem dumb and useless but they work.

and like I've mentioned before...not too many doctors will refer you to a physio therapist....
    I go see a doctor when I'm ill....I see a physio therapist when I'm injured