What tension for a weak player with arc10

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by frostcone, Aug 24, 2010.

1. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

I'm 21 male beg-int player, weigh 115lb...I can't clear baseline to baseline easily, only base to the other half court(using zymax 62@24lb...) I heard high tension is good for arcsaber 10 but I'm not sure if I should restring higher or lower tension with nbg 95? Some say higher have more power but I can't find a higher tension to try.

2. thejym

thejym Regular Member

If you aren't able to clear baseline to baseline, perhaps you need to think about lowering your tension instead. If that doesn't help, then you'll need to work on your technique.

Higher tension is only more powerful for a stronger player who can generate a faster swing speed and thus needs the shuttle to bounce off the string more quickly (instead of being "dragged" on the string).

You won't notice any major performance differences between the ARC10 and other cheaper rackets (assuming they are approximately the same in balance point, weight, frame design, etc) until you actually become a very high level player.

3. lhkjacky

lhkjacky Regular Member

Student
    For Beginner I may suggest 22lbs.
    But if you are beg-int player, I think 24lbs is fine. (it may already dropped to 22lbs after a few games)

IMHO, clear baseline to baseline easily is mainly depend on skills, rather than strength or string.
    Just to remember that little kids could also clear b-b easily if he got a right skills.
    And he does not need the best racket and the best string.
    However it need time to practices.

IMHO, a flexible shaft racket would help at the beginning.
    Do the swing motion smoothly and relax, Do not depend on the strength of your arm.
    You can feel that the racket shaft bend during the swing and store energy.
    All the energy stored in the shaft will release at the instant you hit the shuttle.
    The shuttle will just go far behind the baseline easily.

After that, you can use a stiffer racket to get more speed and power.
    and you can generate more power from you fingers, thumb and wrist
    to make the motion smaller and unpredictable.

PS: take some video of yourself and compare the swing motion with those who can clear easily.
    You may find some difference. eg, not hit at the highest point, or the arm is not straight,
    or relies on the arm strength too much, etc.

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i will suggest to change the racket. Arc10 is stiff and suitable for intermediate and above which has better technique to produce own power. get a less stiff or medium flex racket, this will suit better. replacing string will not help to clear from baseline till baseline.

5. lhkjacky

lhkjacky Regular Member

Student
    I think you can try the ARC7(for Adv-int player), At600(for int player) or MP30(for beg-int player). For more detail, you can check the Badminton Spec Chart from Yonex 2010 Catalog (Japan).

Attached Files:

#5 lhkjacky, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  6. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    Most club level players should be able to pick up any carbon racquet with reasonably tensioned strings and clear to baseline.

So @24lbs, do your shots make a nice loud crisp sound? If yes then maybe the shuttle is too slow
    If no then play @20-22 lbs and build up your forearm strength.

There's nothing wrong with 21lbs tension, in fact when we played UAU and county 20 yrs ago everybody played with bg65 at around 21 lbs. Seems we are too spoilt for choice these days and assume higher tension = better

7. nz2010

nz2010 Regular Member

Try lower the tension to 22 lbs and see if better, or maybe borrow a friend racket with medium/flex and try out.