Mind games

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Aleik, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    I use my eyes a lot. One of my methods of calming myself and helping my focus during a game is to stare at the ground between each point. This clears my head. It also annoys my opponents slightly, by either testing their patience or by giving them the impression that I don't care.

Also, varying the delay on a serve can throw the receiver off. It also psyches the opponent out to look at him/her whilst making contact with the shuttle on a high serve (so I've found).

What are your methods of distracting your opponent? Do you think what you are doing is bending the rules? (+How far can all this be taken?)

2. RJCMGP

RJCMGP Regular Member

student/busser
    eyes

I usually look where I want them to think i'm gonna serve, then look them in the eyes, then back again to where I want them to think the serve is going, then serve. Also, if you are going to tip and it's high, you can try to make it look like a clear. I don't think that it is going against rules or anything. Like in hockey, people deek people out all the time.

3. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    i've actually been told to use more "underhand" methods in my game... because i'm a very straightforward player....

what pisses me off though are the people who call my lines for me.... usually i don't listen to the other guy and i'll call it myself, but i once got pretty pissed and got a warning for yelling at the guy "look bit*h, if you don't like my damn calls, call over a damn line judge!"

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Mine is very easy. Just by my looking.

I am short and fat. Therefoer, most ppl imm. concluded I can't move, can't run, can't jump. Therefore, they usually don't pay too much attention on me, but concentrate on my partner (double games). Then, when they got chopped off, they would know what the hell was going on. It's good to finish them off, when they laugh at me before they even know me.

The bad part is, coaches (most just regular gym teachers) won't give me chance to try out, either. They think let me swing and do drills was just simply wasting their time. Well, now I can beat most of previous so-call school team players.

5. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Wow. Good for you, LB!! :) Show them that you are really good. :D Actually, myine is pretty simple, I do a few high serves during the first few serves. Or low. Then I switch to a real low and nearly(I said nearly!:D ) short serve or very very high and far serve. It'll ctach them off guard, unless they expect it. :)

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Yeah, I can kick a lot of ass in their so-call school teams.

The bad part is, their top ones still could beat me badly (especially in singles), and made sure the decision was at least "partially right". hehehehheeh...

7. Some Person

Some Person Regular Member

school teams?

haha, talking about school teams. They're fun. I just make it look like i am really silly at the game, and just to make it i joined only because it is an asian sport. I dont like boasting, but i dont want to make it sound like it either. I was tryin out for school team one day, and i ended up beating all the intermediate team at school. And then they neva came to train the team again... :D Then i played one of the senior players, and beat him, he was a friend of mine too. was fun...
    then when it came to playing the matches, the opponents gym, was like, volley ball nets... (wow.. how pov?!) and the floor was all powdery too.. so slippery. took awhile to get used to the hight of the net. and considering it was thier home grounds :) beat them with nothing to say. I cold tell they wern't very happy. :D.

back to the main topic. i, for one, if i get frustrated, i stare into the opponents eyes and then suddenly serve, because they look back at you when you stare at them.
    but l8ly, i have learned to control my anger, if u loose, u loose, just take it as a lesson on how to play next time. if u win, just consider ur self lucky because u cant win all your life... :D i just take it easy nowadays, and i also play alot better when i'm n a better mood :D