Was Chen Jin cheating?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2010' started by bogensaebel, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bogensaebel

bogensaebel Regular Member

student
    i'm not so sure about what exactly happened...but sort of Chen Jin broke the stutle to slow it down like commentators said...od did it happened out of intention?but Chen Jin was also solid today...
    what do u guys think?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hard to tell.

technically, players are not allowed to manipulate the shuttle, not even brushing the feathers when they are messed up. but most player do that as a habit anyway. TH maybe taking advantage of that to start a mind game to spoil CJ's rhythm, which did in fact worked for a couple of rallies. CJ was really playing fast prior to the protest and noticably the rallies where slower right after. it also allow TH some breathing time.

the umpire didn't seem very convinced when he compared the shuttles. but it was his duty to enforce it when there is a complaint.

so unsure, it can be the truth or just a trick in Taufik's bag. you can make your own conclusion.

3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

It was a good tactic to break the momentum....
    A shame that when Taufik was coming back, he did a few errors.... especially the kill at the net where the string broke.

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    WC 2010 MS Final. A New Legend Is Born (........................................)

Chen Jin just beat Taufik in straight sets. China is poised to take all 5 titles with only Koo / Tan of MAS standing in their way. Being a Chinese decendent I should be damn proud whatever way that last match goes... But sadly that is not the case

What is this crazy forumer writing about????

Before I answer, I ask anyone who thinks I'm just being a bad sport to rewatch that match. And form your own opinion. My opinion is already decided.

Before the start of the match, Chen Jin would not be considered a 'Legendary' player... surely not a player in the same 'league' as accomplished players such as Taufik Hidayat, Lin Dan, Peter Gade and past Legends such as ZJH and Yang Yang. A pretty good player at being highly consistent yes. But Legendary our forum has decided many times that he always seemed to lack that something special.

After the 1st Match however which I watch in amazement CJ retrieving all the smashes like a super man. Moving 'FASTER THAN THE SHUTTLE' in superheroic fashion... same as he did againt PETER GADE in the semis. I was awestruck of CJ newfound level of ability I proclaimed the match the arrival of a Legend!

The second set started the same however there is only so many poor fools you can fool. It took the senses of a Legendary player and his trusted Coach to realize that something was amiss. Taufik's anger at shuttle infront of the service judge showed his true feelings / reaction of his findings.

When he showed it to the Umpire, even he had to pause in a manner of disbelief. The difference was so minor but a clear 'manipulation' can not be denied.

A have always had grumblings about watching Chen Jin play in the past. Obscene match delay tactics. Obscene I'm not ready to receive the serve my eyes are closed tactics. Obscene request for the medical officer moments and timing.

I always knew he was very vested into winning. Today however (or perhaps this entire tournament) was at a complete different level.

Deliberately Manipulating the shuttle to your own advantage. How low is that? Isn't it illegal? for How far for How long has this gone?

Look at Gade. Completely Physically drained after his match. Actually completely drained after the 1st set.

What kind of strategy is this??? to me... a completely unacceptable one.

How did this affect the outcome of the final?
    Yes, Chen Jin could still have won... but not in such a manner that spoils the victory and leave a bad taste to everyone.

If he did not practice this 'manipulation' would he have even made it into the final fairly in the first place????

So why am I opening a thread with the title 'A Legend is born'????

Because today... a player with Legendary Soreness for Wining showed his true colors to the world. And such, a Legendary Sore Winner is Born.

xoxoxo
    The Big Bad BaddyNut.

#4 jug8man, Aug 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2010
  5. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    In my honest opinion from my mortal observation...

Taufiks Smashes had more 'effect' after the point of complaint. Before the complaint Chen Jin looked Godlike in his retrieving abbilities.

CJ tactic to wear out TH in the 1st set with his 'HAND OF GOD' worked to sap the energy out of TH. Even with the umpire enforcing the law after... it was too late for Taufik at that point.

I can't understand where CJ comes from having to resort to such lowness. He is not 'disadvantage' physically. Only his head to need such tactics

6. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

We will never know. If he did cheat, it will live down on his conscience despite being the champion. But looking at the way he played, I think perhaps he could beat Taufik even if he didn't cheat. If he didn't cheat, he knows that he is a true WC champion with no 'help' this time.

7. undeadshot

The problem is, we can't know or prove that Chen Jin did cheat. If he did, we can only hope that it stays on his conscience forever.

8. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

dun think there was cheating on cj's part. i'm sure it is de spoilt taufik's disbelief dat he can be beaten so easily by de twice junior world champion.
    and he was dead tired. dats why he deliberately disrupted de game.
    anyway, it's not de 1st time he tried such tactics b4.

chen jin is juz starting on de path to greatness.

9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

The umpire and line judge both ignored Taufik when he showed them the shuttles.

Taufik always behaves like that when he plays Chen Jin, other players don't seem to complain except those from Ina.

I think it is really difficult to manipulate the shuttle when the camera is turned on you and the umpire has given you a warning.

Seems to me CJ understands opponents well and really know how to distract them.Why not just concentrate on the game and get distracted? After all there are so many foul serves in doubles.

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

What's the point of manipulating the shuttle?Yonex tournament shuttles get faster and faster after every rally,

its more likely that players want to slow them down.If the feathers get ruffled and the shuttle slows

is it wrong to smoothen them out? Might as well when playing Taufik to change the shuttle after every rally without further question.

11. bogensaebel

bogensaebel Regular Member

student
    one fact i've observed is the smash speed of TH is just about 250kmh..not like normal speed like 280++kmh....i think it's slow for TH's standard...

12. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

I think no corruption/unethical thing involved this time.

There's no fellow countryman taking the dive to let the compatriot win.

Chen Jin win thru merit fair and square.

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

From Taufik's view it would be more advantage to himself if the shuttle got faster so that his smash can penetrate

CJ's defence.Maybe he is accusing people of slowing it so that it is easier to retrieve as his opponent is a retriever and not a

smasher.So how does one slow down a tour Yonex shuttle? Anyway how many times did Taufik get the chance to smash?

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If there's any tampering of the shuttle, it should have been quite obvious. You gotta ruffle the feathears or break the tip off or something, right?

But both the umpire and the service judge saw no tampering when Taufik pointed it out, and compared it to a new one.

15. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    well, whats the point now?

chen jin's name is already in wc 2010 champion name list

unless somebody is trying to remind anyone of us meeting chen jin in our future

so everyone do take note of chen jin fast fingers with the birdie

16. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Even if Chen Jin had cheated, how come you would have been ashamed to be Chinese? What's the logic here? Is this your way to curse Chinese as a whole?

17. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    it is really sick to start an ethnic attack before of unsatisfying badminton match results. Please restrict to the badminton topics only. :(

18. undeadshot

I didn't think Chen Jin cheated. Taufik seemed to lack both stamina and MOTIVATION.

19. benjamin59

benjamin59 Regular Member

technician
    TH must be superman to be able to smash over 280kmh everytime. even doubles player cannot do that.
    FYI great players varied their smash speed to confuse.
    Sour grapes and sore loser.

20. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    I dont see anything wrong, it is tactical ...as a professional athlete you should be fit enough to play whatever the opponent throw at you , I think Taufik over-reacted and trying to break the rhythm since he was not playing his best .The match he played yesterday got the better of him . If the shuttle was manipulated and somehow got slower then it is an advantage for both players since it was so hot on court .

All this cr*p and bitterness about Chen Jin winning the match aint going to change the result, also as 2cents was saying , it is totally irrelevant what jug8men wrote .......it is only badminton after all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.