Anyone wearing Babolat Shadow?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by megatshamsul, Aug 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. megatshamsul

megatshamsul Regular Member

I'm kind of recreational double player. Looking for a new shoe beside Yonex. Saw the image of Babolat Shadow badminton shoe on the net. Beside looking great, got no idea on the plus point. Anybody wearing it? Looking for pointer...

2. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I bought a pair from Paris recently. The grip is excellent (thanks to Michelin who produces tyres) but the cushioning is a bit hard and will take some time to 'break in'. Actually I prefer the ladies version (worn by Pi Hong Yan) to the mens version which is rather striking.

3. megatshamsul

megatshamsul Regular Member

Thanks Sealman! I think I'll be looking for Mizuno or Asics instead...

4. dollargood

dollargood Regular Member

Anymore reviews on this shoe? Looks nice.....

5. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

I've just ordered these online after trying them on in a shop. My initial impression is they are low cut, well supportive and are very lightweight. I'll give you a more complete review once I've actually used them for a couple of sessions.

6. dollargood

Oh thks, waiting for your review.....

7. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

The shoes got their first session this evening. The "breaking in" period is best described as painful but short. I started with a 15 minute running and stretching warm up followed by a 15 minute on court warm up. Following this my feet were in pain and came close to returning to my old shoes. However, I continued to persevere and am glad I did. The shoes softened quite dramatically during my first games. The shoes are firm on the cushioning but by no means is it uncomfortable.Once the shoes had been broken in I could begin to see what the shoes could offer a player. The babolat shadow gave me great confidence in my movements. It is a very sturdy and stable shoe. The silver material running on the outside of the shoe and round the heel is unbelievably strong and provides a solid base. Also, babolat have included 2 "lateral claws" on the outside of the shoe. Again, this only helps to add to the stable feel. The shoe has 2 (one on each side) very strong pieces of material on the midsole of the shoe. I think the combination of all these things gives the shoe such a solid and stable feel. To put it simply, your feet don't move where they're not supposed to in these shoes.The shoe has a very low cut design around the ankle and the padding in this area is very thick and comfortable. In my opinion, the stabilizing features outlined above will help anyone who suffers from sprains to the ankles without having to use a higher cut shoe. The shoe fits normal. I wear a UK 11 usually and the same applies for these shoes. If the width of these shoes was to be described on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being narrowest, 10 being widest) I would suggest the shoe is a 7. It is not a narrow shoe but it maybe is just wider than normal. This is my opinion, you may be different as regular shoes in your region may be designed differently and your feet will be of a different shape.The sole of the shoe is maybe a bit gimmicky with its links to Michelin tyres but it does grip well. I play on quite a good surface anyway and wouldn't say the gripping was noticably better or worse than the top brands available. The stability of the shoe and the confidence it gives you in movement combined with its lightweight is where you're most likely to gain an advantage. The VK spring will maybe help your movement, but I would suggest it isn't noticeable enough to stand out from any other brand in this aspect.Overall, my first impressions of the Babolat Shadow are positive. The breaking in period was tough on my feet but I was amazed how short it was. The stability is where this shoe stands out from others. Never have I had a badminton shoe that felt so sturdy and was so light. This is a combination many manufacturers strive to achieve and I think Babolat has managed it quite well. I would recommend the shoe if you would like a very stable shoe that is as light in weight as anything else in the market just now.Hope this helps anyone considering new shoes. Another thing to consider, I bought these shoes as I was able to try them on in store before buying them. It's quite a distance to my nearest yonex stockist and as sizing can vary, I wouldn't buy any badminton shoes without personally trying them on first. Had yonex been more accessible in my area, I'd have probably got myself a pair of their shoes but I am very pleased with my purchase and have added Babolat to my options list for future badminton shoes.

8. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

I'd like to stress though, you are giving up on the extra cushioning most yonex seem to offer these days. So if you are looking for a shoe with extra cushioning, the babolat shadow isn't the shoe for you. It does have enough cushioning in th sole to make it comfortable, but there are much better alternatives on the market in the aspect.

9. dollargood

Thanks for the review...

10. Josico

Josico Regular Member

I'm interested in getting this shoe now, has there been any updates to the review? Do you feel the same way of the shoe now?

11. Phouma

Phouma Regular Member

Student
    pretty much have to agree with everyone here about the shoe. the cushioning is minimal.. but the grip on the bottom is excellent. the shoe is very light and provides excellent stability.

one word of caution. i found the shoe to be a little bit smaller than normal. usually, i wear size 11 shoes yonex/victor. but i find these ones to be tighter than what i'm used to.. so you might want to consider trying on a 1/2 size larger to see what fits.

all in all though it's a great shoe with an affordable price tag.

12. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

I'm very happy with these shoes. 7 months on, the shoes are still in good shape. I've found the shoes to be a normal fit but like I said previously, peoples feet are different so trying them on for size is always best. You won't go wrong with this shoe.

13. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

Had to replace the insoles in the shoes as they'd worn right through. Don't feel the same after the change. New shoes required I think.

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

2013 update

Forgot to post these I came across a while back. Let's see if it will trigger another takedown notice :D

SHADOWMX2013.jpg

SHADOWLX13.jpg

15. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I like the pink shoes :D (or is it red?)

16. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I think it is in the middle of red and pink, made it Unisex model ?

17. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Looking really good

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

If that is the excuse you need to make for yourself then sure, it's "unisex" :D. Yes it is PINK ...

19. dollargood

Singapore selling?

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Not released yet, Blade 4 also not released yet ...