User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sun Jun. Accurate, quick, remorseless and merciless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoppy View Post
    In badminton current and history I saw players come and go leaving me with huge awe about their smashing ability. Its also amasing to see the evolution of the smashing style, technique and speed, i wonder how fast human can take this even further. Below is a list of players that i think are worthy to make to the list of "Best ever smasher", perhaps you guys can vote:

1. Liem Swie King: Famous for his jumping smash, the first pro i know that used jumping smash extensively. He played both single and doubles
    2. Heryanto Arbi: The man of 1000watt smash, reinvented the way MS played with his ultra attacking smashing game. His game was much closer to how today's MS game is played than the boring long rally played by MS players before him
    3. Fu Hai Feng: The current world record holder, simply the best smasher in MD today
    4. Yang Yang: My childhood baddy idol
    5. Taufik Hidayat: The current MS record holder
    6. Lin Dan: Very powerful and effective
    7. Lee Chong Wei: I like his cross court cross, its very2 fast for a skinny guy
    8. Tan Boen Hong: The current Yonex world record, 421km/hr????

There are maybe some players i missed out, please feel free to add
    Interesting thread. When one discuss about the beauty of badminton, "smash" will be one never ending, interesting topic that can be discuss as long as we, badmintonholics may live. Since we are concentrating about "best ever smasher" and going to have a poll soon about this, i just want to share my experience observing and talking to a few of my colleagues who once played with a few names mention or not mention above.

Still remembered that i asked the same question to Datuk Misbun, Rashid Sidek and an ex-Malaysia Thomas cupper back in the early 80's, who was the best smasher from their point of view....and unanimously it was Lim Siew King. So fast and hard was his smash they said, he once destroyed the cork of a new shuttlecock while playing. Just imagined the results with his technique and you give what racket that TBH or FHF is using now...So, that's a power full smash. But than, if in term of steepness and placement, the mighty Zhao Jian Hua, using his sheer height and elevation, will be their choice. His trademark and renowned deadly around the head, cross court jumping smash is a behold to see and makes even the most prepared opponent having a spine problem at the end of the match to retrieve it....you ask rashid sidek himself hahahaha. However, talking about elevation or jumping smash, arguably none can perform and has revolutionized the way jumping should be done even better other than Heryanto Arbi........it is not about the jump, but all the proper package and a good example how jumping smash should be done, the footwork, the kinetics, the elevation, the angle and execution.........and no wonder he can do it well as Yang-Yang was once his idola.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shooting stroke View Post
    Still remembered that i asked the same question to Datuk Misbun, Rashid Sidek and an ex-Malaysia Thomas cupper back in the early 80's, who was the best smasher from their point of view....and unanimously it was Lim Siew King....
    Wow lucky you buddy, able to meet those famous Sidek brothers. I will certainly ask the same question

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    propose;
    1. Zhao Jianhua
    2. Yang Yang
    3. Li Yongbo
    4. Kim Moon So
    5. Lin Dan
    6. Taufik Hidayat
    7. Zheng Bo
    8. Kido Setiawan
    9. Tan Boon Heong

add or amend, and i will add the poll soon.
    drifit, since there is a quota for 12 players we can then have the following players on the list:

1. Zhao Jianhua
    2. Yang Yang
    3. Li Yongbo
    4. Kim Moon So
    5. Lin Dan
    6. Taufik Hidayat
    7. Halim Harianto (thanks to ctjcad suggestion)
    8. Fu HaiFeng
    9. Tan Boon Heong
    10. Liem Swie King
    11. Haryanto Arbi
    12. Cheah Soon Kit

How does this sound???

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me , the best smasher ever is Indo Heriyanto Arbi , follow by Lin Dan , doubles best i feel is korea Park Jong Pong, follow by Fu hai feng !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...What is wrong with the process of people giving ideas and decide??
    ..imo and to be frank, the topic is a bit subjective and broad. And if anything, it's hard for us to select the players because we don't have the definitions/criterias of what determine a BEST SMASHER, at least in this thread??..how do you define a BEST SMASHER?..speed? accuracy of smash? placement? can execute more than 3 jumpsmashes in a row from the baseline?..
    It's a bit subjective and broad because everyone of us has our own list of players who we think or feel are "BEST SMASHERS". Your list will most likely be different to mine and another 50 people. If we take out Markis Kido, what is the reason? If we put in Li Yong Bo, what is the reason?..Where's Jung Jae Sung's name?..Where's the supposed hard smashers from M'sian junior players??..
    Also, i don't mind going with drifit's suggestion of having different polls for different era of players (in relation to the equipments and materials used in rackets). Also, to have separate threads for Doubles and Singles players is not a bad idea as there are plenty of "BEST SMASHERS" (from the past to current period) in both disciplines. IMO, making the list consolidated in 1 poll/thread seems to be limiting the options......
    Last edited by ctjcad; 09-05-2010 at 05:14 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..imo and to be frank, the topic is a bit subjective and broad. And if anything, it's hard for us to select the players because we don't have the definitions/criterias of what determine a BEST SMASHER, at least in this thread??..how do you define a BEST SMASHER?..speed? accuracy of smash? placement? can execute more than 3 jumpsmashes in a row from the baseline?..
    It's a bit subjective and broad because everyone of us has our own list of players who we think or feel are "BEST SMASHERS". Your list will most likely be different to mine and another 50 people. If we take out Markis Kido, what is the reason? If we put in Li Yong Bo, what is the reason?..Where's Jung Jae Sung's name?..Where's the supposed hard smashers from M'sian junior players??..
    Also, i don't mind going with drifit's suggestion of having different polls for different era of players (in relation to the equipments and materials used in rackets). Also, to have separate threads for Doubles and Singles players is not a bad idea as there are plenty of "BEST SMASHERS" (from the past to current period) in both disciplines. IMO, making the list consolidated in 1 poll/thread seems to be limiting the options......
    Finally. This is cool ctjcad. I dont mind either if the thread is separated between single and doubles player, it does make more sense. But even if it was separated, it does not solve the problem that you described, people will have different opinions about who should be on the list. And thats exactly why in the first place i created this thread from the basic, then if needed we can work its way up.

Here's what i think of the players you mentioned above:

I really dont think Kido smash is up there, as you can see how HS/MK were destroyed by CY/FHF mainly because CY/FHF were happy to give MK chances to smash.

The MAS junior, honestly im not too sure how are we going to justify him since he has not put to the test of competition highest level. We dont even know he's name, do we??

LYB, honestly i have not watch many of his matches so cant really say. To that effect, JJS is a very good smasher, but with all due respect, i think he's closer to MK case. Remember its him againts the best of 12.

All i can do is to put up names and give a reason why they should be on the list. If you have one, please feel free to add. But at the end of the day someone must decide, so maybe in this case drifit can have the final list based on the discussion that took place. Another similar thread (the one about the net player) has became a poll, so i dont see a problem why we should not create more of them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MAS junior, honestly im not too sure how are we going to justify him since he has not put to the test of competition highest level. We dont even know he's name, do we??

As mentioned earlier, his name is Nelson Heg, 2010 WJC runner up, 17 yo. But I agree, give the kid a couple more years bf even considering him on the list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    As mentioned earlier, his name is Nelson Heg, 2010 WJC runner up, 17 yo. But I agree, give the kid a couple more years bf even considering him on the list.
    Sorry did not noticed that earlier. I will keep that name in mind, in a few years he'll be up againts INA's Hayom (who i think also has a stinging smash and coming from the same club as Heryanto Arbi and Liem Swie King)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry did not noticed that earlier. I will keep that name in mind, in a few years he'll be up againts INA's Hayom (who i think also has a stinging smash and coming from the same club as Heryanto Arbi and Liem Swie King)
    Hahaha, Nelson Heg is MD player. Let's see if he & his partner Teo Ee Yi can capture the 2011 WJC title 1st.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, Nelson is a MD player so he will not be up against Hayom.
    I'm not too sure about the 2010 WJC runner-up, but I know that Goh Wei Shem, a 20 year old boy from MAS also has a very powerful smash.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yoppy
    if lee chong wei cant 100% return his smash the u should able to imagine how hard is it
    haha

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    Correction. I had made the suggestion for separate periods as well as separating singles and doubles. I seem to recall that drift mentioned the difficulty of creating the necessary periods, and had suggested that we use the past 30 years (1980-2010) as the single period of relevance to make the final choices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default just a suggestion to this thread

i think the op wants everyone to list out their own best smasher(s) ever lived and according to their opinion.

if i am not wrong above and if members are not aware of this,

i also think there will be a lot of unnecessary debating here....

why not let each and everyone have their say first and later use a poll to determine who's the hardest, deadly, who's ....?

set a due date for the poll or something...

the scenario probably would be like this:

member 1 may say makis kido or mosquito doesn't have a powerful smash

then comes along several members saying mosquito has very good repeating smashes

then if there are no other members mentioning other player(s) for repeating smashes then there goes the answer

btw, i haven't seen anyone mentioning chen chang jee, think name spelled wrongly.

i don't have proof of his smashing speed record or anything here but

i do know when i was there watching him playing in kl, i can say this guy really wack the shuttle.

he could smash from the baseline and the shuttle would collapsed and end up somewhere under the linesmen chair.

after the match i went over to look at the collapsed shuttle and mind you there were several of them all very new!

i am sure some members must have seen that match

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...I dont mind either if the thread is separated between single and doubles player, it does make more sense. But even if it was separated, it does not solve the problem that you described, people will have different opinions about who should be on the list.
    All i can do is to put up names and give a reason why they should be on the list. If you have one, please feel free to add. But at the end of the day someone must decide, so maybe in this case drifit can have the final list based on the discussion that took place. Another similar thread (the one about the net player) has became a poll, so i dont see a problem why we should not create more of them.
    - If you have read & understood a few of the members' posts, as well as mine, and drifit's post, carefully, you would see the bigger picture and what we're trying to get across. That way, it won't be necessary for me to give you a lengthy explanation above.
    - The separate threads/polls (whatever) at least would give more options and names; 24 names instead of only 12 names. It goes back to the idea of this being a subjective and broad topic and names would be popping up left and right.
    - Your reason of why this or that player should or should not be on the list shows how subjective this thread/poll is. You can take MK's current bad string of results and getting pummeled by FHF & CY but another person doesn't look at that but instead looks at his past results prior to his injury. Same with JJS. The one abt the MAS junior is just a......tease.
    - Should you/we define what or give a few criterias to determine which players fall in the BEST SMASHER category? I think that would help in selecting the players. That way the list won't look like "Yoppy's list of World's BEST SMASHER ever lived?"..or maybe you want this thread to be like that..
    - The one about net player is pretty simple because it only asks for MD players (not both disciplines), or at least that's what it's all about (if i recall, it was made clear in the first sentence of the 1st post in that thread).
    - Personally, i probably won't put in my vote in this; could really care less.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 09-05-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally...i think the world best smasher for double are........ Lim Siew King is on top Zhao Jian Hua shoulder while Zhao is jumping......hahahahahaha.....common bro........cheeers will you

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    Hahaha, Nelson Heg is MD player. Let's see if he & his partner Teo Ee Yi can capture the 2011 WJC title 1st.
    Oh i see, thats not possible then

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast