Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shooting stroke View Post
    Let me modify and strengthen the meaning of your phrase visor -
    "Sorry, any pro can do a backhand clear or a backhand smash but currently, only TH can do a stunning backhand clear and a stunning backhand smash"
    Now this is interesting as new words like stunning backhand clear and stunning backhand smash are used. How do you define stunning? LD's backhand clear at 0:50 in the video can also be called stunning because it went cross-court to the back line although it was executed at only near the back doubles service line. All half court put aways whether from forehand or backhand smashes should be certain winners although they may look stunning.
    Backhand smashes are best used for half-court shots and not full length shots from the opponent, and in the latter case the overhead (round the head) smash is more appropriate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qidong View Post
    Taufik's strong backhand is now becoming his weakness too. No matter how good it's, it will never be as good as his forehand. If you look at his matches in recent years, he hit way more backhands than his opponents. Many times in the similar positions, LD or LCW would be able to move backward and hit an over-the-head smash, but he chose to hit a backhand instead. In early years, a lot of his backhand winners just by catching his opponents off-guard. But now-a-day, every opponent respects his backhand, and he no longer hit as many backhand winners as before. But we talk about pure backhand skill, he and Xiong Guo Bao should be the #1 and #2 or the other way around.
    IMO TH backhand is a complement to his main weakness that is his speed and laziness (in compare to other top players), without his backhand TH would not be around the top flight for this long (more than 10yrs). Not the other way around.
    Last edited by Yoppy; 09-16-2010 at 01:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Now this is interesting as new words like stunning backhand clear and stunning backhand smash are used. How do you define stunning? LD's backhand clear at 0:50 in the video can also be called stunning because it went cross-court to the back line although it was executed at only near the back doubles service line. All half court put aways whether from forehand or backhand smashes should be certain winners although they may look stunning.
    Backhand smashes are best used for half-court shots and not full length shots from the opponent, and in the latter case the overhead (round the head) smash is more appropriate.
    You have an interesting perspective.

Can you name even another pro player past or present who can finish off a rally with a backhand drive or smash like TH? Never mind that he should have gone for a round the head smash or 3/4 court smash not being valid in your eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoppy View Post
    IMO TH backhand is a complement to his main weakness that is his speed and laziness (in compare to other top players), without his backhand TH would not be around the top flight for this long (more than 10yrs). Not the other way around.
    if i may add:

the backhand helps him a lot that's why he is so daring in the front court!

he lets it suits his game..

smart guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just by plain dictionary definition, stunning can be define as like impressive, surprising, remarkably attractive etc. However, personally, in referring to Taufik Hidayat Stunning backhand shots, unfortunately, no dictionary definition fits well nor no words can beautifully describe it. The exquisite of Taufik backhand is like the Picasso of drawing combined with the Mozart of music, an art or craftsmanship that only in the eyes of the beholder can define. Taufik stunning backhands is like "If in any way, momentarily, i knew that he's going to execute it, before that fraction of time happens, i will drag myself out of the bed at the beginning of my sleep knowing that I've not been sleeping for 7 days".

Indeed, other World Class player can execute impressive backhand shots like Lin Dan did at 0:50 in one of those videos posted here, but then, personally, through my eyes, it's just an ordinary backhand.........and for sure it won't drag me out of my bed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shooting stroke View Post
    Just by plain dictionary definition, stunning can be define as like impressive, surprising, remarkably attractive etc. However, personally, in referring to Taufik Hidayat Stunning backhand shots, unfortunately, no dictionary definition fits well nor no words can beautifully describe it. The exquisite of Taufik backhand is like the Picasso of drawing combined with the Mozart of music, an art or craftsmanship that only in the eyes of the beholder can define. Taufik stunning backhands is like "If in any way, momentarily, i knew that he's going to execute it, before that fraction of time happens, i will drag myself out of the bed at the beginning of my sleep knowing that I've not been sleeping for 7 days".

Indeed, other World Class player can execute impressive backhand shots like Lin Dan did at 0:50 in one of those videos posted here, but then, personally, through my eyes, it's just an ordinary backhand.........and for sure it won't drag me out of my bed.
    to define stunning here especially for taufik, you need to add in a little electrifying effect

this way maybe you can get the message across

or another simpler way

taufik's back hand smashes are just like lin dan doing his jumping cross court smashes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tU7eT0O7M0

as far as I'm concerned, the most difficult shots are backhand smash / drop - cross court

Because u need to have precise timing, body coordination & pin point accuracy in order to be able to play them, any slight error will immediately turn your shot into a disaster.

Most of the time, it's your instinct dictating your shots, because you have no clear view when u play them.

If u play at an intermediate-advanced level, u will have an idea of what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For that x-court deep backhand by LD, i think why it looks "stunning" was because maybe it caught Taufik a bit by surprise. But to me, it certainly looked similar to the backhand shot by Taufik vs. Andrew Smith (taken at lower height instead).
    Last edited by ctjcad; 09-16-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    For that x-court deep backhand by LD, i think why it looks "stunning" was because maybe it caught Taufik a bit by surprise. But to me, it certainly looked similar to the backhand shot by Taufik vs. Andrew Smith (taken at lower height instead).
    Heh, at that moment it sure looked like it was TH's turn to be the "stunnee" instead of being the "stunner".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    The subtle difference was that LD's was an attacking clear whereas TH's a defending clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The subtle difference was that LD's was an attacking clear whereas TH's a defending clear.
    Wondering how no one else saw that as yet.

IMO, TH lost the match at this very first point. LD held all the psych cards after that. He held his shot back until TH committed himself to the front foot, knowing that TH would be half a step slower than he was 5 years ago. Notice the really short back-swing, the use of the wrist, and the match is over. My jaw just dropped when I first saw this point being played, and my heart sank. Yes I am a complete TH nut.

Regardless, TH is still Mr. Backhand in my book. The others are also-rans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKZZDT5r4rY

Another good one to watch, TH was still 18 at that time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So, Yoppy, have you selected the short-list for the poll? Or is it a foregone conclusion? A walkover?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    So, Yoppy, have you selected the short-list for the poll? Or is it a foregone conclusion? A walkover?
    i dont mind this becomes a poll but looks like the majority admiration go to TH, so i leave it to you guys or the mod to decide

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qidong View Post
    waw what a showcase of strength, but when i look closely its not actually a backhand. its similar to under leg shot, but he did it from the side.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5