Badminton shoe for jogging?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by yeohray, Sep 1, 2010.

1. yeohray

yeohray Regular Member

Would you use a Yonex Power Cushion shoe for jogging? Why I'm thinking of doing that:

- they're extremely comfortable, compared to jogging shoes that are generally stiff (e.g. Mizuno)
    - since badminton is a higher impact exercise compared to jogging, the support in those shoes should be more than adequate for jogging?
    - Yonex shoes are supposedly not durable, but since I won't be using them for playing badminton, the sole should be the only major area that's going to get worn out?
    - I'll be jogging on jogging tracks, and not on roads, so the sole shouldn't get too worn out?
    - my jogging sessions are at most only 30 minutes, 2 - 3 times a week
    - a good low-end jogging shoe (Asics, Mizuno) costs as much as a mid-end Power Cushion Shoe e.g. SHB-72ex

So basically, is it safe and economical to use the badminton shoes for jogging?

Thanks in advance for any opinions and shared experiences.

2. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

I dunno about safety, but I've used my old shb100mx for indoor (treadmill) and outdoor runs/jogs. They're particularly comfortable for running because they fit so well and are so light weight.

For myself, the wear on my badminton shoes occur mostly on the dragging foot and on the insole, so I think they are perfectly fine for walking/jogging/running uses. Some of my buddies used them for walking shoes once they had no more traction on court :p

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I would maybe consider using badminton shoes, that are older, and more worn out, that I have retired for badminton purposes, these are probably better, as you do not care if they get wrecked.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just want to comment on one point you made:

that is not true. badminton shoes have thinner soles. if badminton were to be a high impact sport only, the soles will be as thick as running shoes, but badminton also have the issue with quick direction change and thick impact absorbing soles are prone to injury.

badminton shoes are therefore thin, and thus poor impact absorbing compare to running shoes.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

IMO as long as you're running on soft track then you're fine, even if baddy shoes are inherently thinner by design.

6. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

7. yeohray

yeohray Regular Member