User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 52 to 68 of 96
  1. #52
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    She cant be the only one

  2. #53
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    608
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm really surprised that most people here on the forum don't seem to be very critical about her drug abuse. Zhou Mi is 31 years old and a longtime professional! I really can't imagine her being so naive to take drugs without knowing to be honest.

  3. #54
    Regular Member jug8man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,082
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think most members are giving her the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps due to poor judgement during a time of poor health.

    Plus she's well loved in the badminton community and has good 'reputation' so to speak. If she passed all test before... strange to start failing now on purpose.

    Everyone makes mistakes. Intentionally and unintentionaly.

  4. #55
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..if that's the case, then why didn't she consult with the national team's physician(s) prior to her purchasing the medication? or there's no specific physician(s) within the HK national team being in charge of taking care of the players (incl. ZM) if they're sick? or is this common practice for HK players to purchase their own medication if they're sick? or she wasn't aware or forgot about the drug testing being applied in BWF?..or simply just an unfortunate "victim" to the random drug testing?..

    off topic:
    actually it's in Indonesian/Malay (can be written as Mi or Mee or Mie); keeping it in the same language..just like the word "goreng" (fried)...
    From what I gather from the translations it was a TCM so she probably just bought it as she was out. I am sure HK have their own team doctor (I know when I met ZM when she was in China team she was with her doctor all the time.....


    From Off topic: I was talking about Mandarin.....as she is chinese!

  5. #56
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    From what I gather from the translations it was a TCM so she probably just bought it as she was out. I am sure HK have their own team doctor (I know when I met ZM when she was in China team she was with her doctor all the time.....

    From Off topic: I was talking about Mandarin.....as she is chinese!
    ..so if she just bought it as she was out, does that also imply her HK teammates could buy TCM's medication with/without the consent of their team's physician/coach, should they become ill? Or they would still go through the team's physician's consent?..if the former is the case, then i would say ZM was unfortunate to be caught..Or unless she totally forgot or wasn't aware of the types of medication she could take..

    OT: Yes, i know it's ("mein") a Mandarin word and yes, i know she is chinese!

  6. #57
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..so if she just bought it as she was out, does that also imply her HK teammates could buy TCM's medication with/without the consent of their team's physician/coach, should they become ill? Or they would still go through the team's physician's consent?..if the former is the case, then i would say ZM was unfortunate to be caught..Or unless she totally forgot or wasn't aware of the types of medication she could take..
    Well, they are free to buy TCM when they become ill, the point is whether they should do & whether they want to take the risk. The onus is always on the athlete to think before ingesting anything, even food!

    I would be surprised if the HKBA didn't have any policy or rule for the above. If they don't they will surely make some now.

  7. #58
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Here's the latest and greatest update abt Zhou Mi's case..

    ..courtesy from badzine..
    http://www.badzine.net/features/zhou...-badzine/7452/
    ================================================== ==============
    ZHOU MI – Exclusive Interview with BADZINE
    By Raphael Sachetat– September 15, 2010
    Posted in: Features

    Former world number one Zhou Mi, banned for having being tested positive for Clenbuterol in a sample taken out of competition in June is strongly stating her innocence. She is willing to appeal the decision to ban her for 2 years and said she might get pregnant if the appeal fails – something she says no woman would do if using drugs. She gave Badzine an exclusive interview.

    Badzine: When did you realize that you may have committed a mistake? Were you afraid of the outcome of the test?

    Zhou Mi: Until the BWF made the judgment, I didn’t worry about the result. I didn’t believe I would be punished because I wasn’t worried for my sample. I remember I was applying for a visa when I got the notice of the doping test. I went back to Hong Kong Sports Institute immediately.

    BZI: You said you were aware of the Wada rules. Did the pharmacist tell you the medicine didn’t contain any forbidden substance? Did the medicine have any effect on you? Did you feel better at all?

    ZM: When I was in the Chinese team, the team management was in a collective format. As a player, I didn’t need to worry about all these aspects of the game because the staff would take care of it. But this is the main difference between the China and Hong Kong teams. Here I have to prepare and manage everything by myself.

    Actually I’ve always used Chinese medicine since settling in HK. Over the years, there has been no problem with this. I don’t think Chinese medicine will bring any kind of bad influence.

    After I took the medicine, my fever and flu got better of course. Even now, I am not sure that specific medicine is the main reason for the positive result of the doping test.

    BZI: What would you advise the BWF/tournament organizers to do for independent players, who do not have doctors constantly with them? Should an independent doctor be appointed for such players and reachable at all times?

    ZM: Only physiologists will go with the team when we go to the competition overseas, but no doctor. This is the problem that all the teams are now facing.

    BZ : Do you feel the 2-year ban is unfair? What sentence would you feel is fair for your mistake?

    ZM: Up to this moment, I do think the judgment is unfair to me. I never use any prohibited stimulant to enhance my performance and to create the unfair competition. Moreover, Clenbuterol is useless to me. I think I should be warned but not banned for 2 years.

    BZI: What will you do if the ban is confirmed? Keep training, or become a coach for Hong Kong?

    ZM: If the final appeal fails then I will not be able to continue to train. It is the coach’s decision and not mine. To prove my innocence, I will soon give birth to a child. No one who dopes would dare to do such a thing.

    The interview was conducted by email on September 10th in Chinese and translated into English. The original version is available – you can contact us at redaction@badzine.info

  8. #59
    Regular Member jug8man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,082
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Power to Zhou Mi!

  9. #60
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ? How would getting pregnant prove her innocence, that would be an novel defence?!

    Well she appears also to be criticising the HKBA in the interview about the fact they have less monitoring of these issues (but that may be just the translation).

    The player is responsible though and it is them that gets punished. Accidents are no excuse, otherwise people would always use them & claim it was accidental.

  10. #61
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    [QUOTE=ctjcad;1521369]..courtesy from badzine..
    http://www.badzine.net/features/zhou...-badzine/7452/
    ================================================== ==============

    Chris, thank you for just posting the link, and not the entire article....

    If we don't have comments under our articles, what's the point of writing them ?
    Soon, we'll just drop it and not write on badminton anymore if people keep using our entire job.

    Thanks

  11. #62
    Regular Member pBmMalaysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kuching, Malaysia, Malaysia
    Posts
    4,718
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question "Even now, I am not sure that specific medicine is the main reason for ...."

    ..courtesy from badzine..
    http://www.badzine.net/features/zhou...-badzine/7452/
    ================================================== ==============
    ZHOU MI – Exclusive Interview with BADZINE
    By Raphael Sachetat– September 15, 2010
    Posted in: Features

    After I took the medicine, my fever and flu got better of course. Even now, I am not sure that specific medicine is the main reason for the positive result of the doping test.
    in bold:

    i don't really got her meaning

    if i am not wrong this sound serious

  12. #63
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    ? How would getting pregnant prove her innocence, that would be an novel defence?!
    ...
    ..i think her thinking is, esp. nowadays, pregnant women would be more cautious about taking drugs, esp. over-the-counter medication, as it could affect the fetus/baby..
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphy View Post
    ..
    Chris, thank you for just posting the link, and not the entire article....

    If we don't have comments under our articles, what's the point of writing them ?
    Soon, we'll just drop it and not write on badminton anymore if people keep using our entire job.

    Thanks
    off topic:
    Raphy, thanks again for writing and sharing that news/article.
    IMO:
    - Just posting the link alone doesn't guarantee people will post a comment or comments on the article.
    - There are hundreds and thousands of articles from the internet from other news websites which don't get any comment(s). Yes, i've seen them. Does that mean those magazines/newspapers/websites and writers should stop writing or contributing too??
    - I think the article/link even the content being shared in a forum like BC is already a big bonus. Yes, i purposely gave the link as well as the content. If i were you, i'd be glad. And i'm sure there are others who've clicked on the link & checked that article on badzine.
    - Appreciate again for all your contribution and work! And keep up the great work!
    Last edited by ctjcad; 09-16-2010 at 03:30 PM.

  13. #64
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..i think her thinking is, esp. nowadays, pregnant women would be more cautious about taking drugs, esp. over-the-counter medication, as it could affect the fetus/baby..

    off topic:
    Raphy, thanks again for writing and sharing that news/article.
    IMO:
    - Just posting the link alone doesn't guarantee people will post a comment or comments on the article.
    - There are hundreds and thousands of articles from the internet from other news websites which don't get any comment(s). Yes, i've seen them. Does that mean those magazines/newspapers/websites and writers should stop writing or contributing too??
    - I think the article/link even the content being shared in a forum like BC is already a big bonus. Yes, i purposely gave the link as well as the content. If i were you, i'd be glad. And i'm sure there are others who've clicked on the link & checked that article on badzine.
    - Appreciate again for all your contribution and work! And keep up the great work!
    My point on the former would be that getting pregnant (AFAIK) isn't a legal excuse for getting off a doping offence & to me it seems not a particularly good reason to have a baby.

    On the latter, I agree with the addition that were the website the story is on ever to become defunct no one would be able to read the article ever again (or for that matter on comments posted on the website of the article either). By posting on BF as well we get the chance to have more deabte about the issue & the other website get more clicks as people who click on the actual story become aware of that site.....for example I visit the MAS star papaer as a result of reading Badminton related stories fro mit on BF.

    I do of course understand Raphy's POV also...

  14. #65
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    My point on the former would be that getting pregnant (AFAIK) isn't a legal excuse for getting off a doping offence & to me it seems not a particularly good reason to have a baby.
    ...
    ..i don't think she's using it as a legal excuse to get off the offence. I think it's more like she's trying to paint that there's no intention on her part to take the banned substance on purpose to enhance her performance..anyway..
    What do you mean by the part in bold? you mean she shouldn't have a baby because she was caught? I thought in the interview (last reply by ZM) ZM mentioned she's already expecting a baby?? (if i understand it).

    With that, i think if i were BWF and after hearing her appeal, i will still put forth the penalty but not for 2 yrs. The penalty has two-fold effects. Fist, it will give her ample time in her prep. to give birth. If she's indeed pregnant and is expecting a child, i would not allow her to play/compete for at max. 1 yr (kind of a doh!, she's expecting). But i don't know if 1 yr will be minimal enough as she will need to regain her form if indeed she won't partake in any baddy training at all. Also, in a way, by putting a penalty on her, it'll sort of remind the rest of the other national associations to be extra careful and aware. In a way also, i think BWF is trying to show its "power"..

    Good luck with ZM in her appeal process!..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 09-16-2010 at 04:41 PM.

  15. #66
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..i don't think she's using it as a legal excuse to get off the offence. I think it's more like she's trying to paint that there's no intention on her part to take the banned substance on purpose to enhance her performance..anyway..
    What do you mean by the part in bold? you mean she shouldn't have a baby because she was caught? I thought in the interview (last reply by ZM) ZM mentioned she's already expecting a baby?? (if i understand it).

    With that, i think if i were BWF and after hearing her appeal, i will still put forth the penalty but not for 2 yrs. The penalty has two-fold effects. Fist, it will give her ample time in her prep. to give birth. If she's indeed pregnant and is expecting a child, i would not allow her to play/compete for at max. 1 yr (kind of a doh!, she's expecting). But i don't know if 1 yr will be minimal enough as she will need to regain her form if indeed she won't partake in any baddy training at all. Also, in a way, by putting a penalty on her, it'll sort of remind the rest of the other national associations to be extra careful and aware. In a way also, i think BWF is trying to show its "power"..

    Good luck with ZM in her appeal process!..
    The above story states that "to prove my innocence I will soon give birth to a baby"....I read this as by having a baby it proves she hasn't taken anything deliberately..

    The part you made in bold, I may have misunderstood the article as I read it quickly. I thought she mean she will have a baby because of this test to prove she is innocence, which IMO isn't the best reason to bring a life into the world!

    Good luck with the appeal, maybe after all it states she claims she didn't take any medication in previsou 7 days (which after false test she said she did) & she was careles.. I don't hold out much hope.

  16. #67
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    The above story states that "to prove my innocence I will soon give birth to a baby"....I read this as by having a baby it proves she hasn't taken anything deliberately..

    The part you made in bold, I may have misunderstood the article as I read it quickly. I thought she mean she will have a baby because of this test to prove she is innocence, which IMO isn't the best reason to bring a life into the world!
    ...
    - Yes, she meant to say she didn't take it deliberately.
    - Yeah, the article had a slight take which might've confused the reader. The first/opening paragraph and the last answer by ZM seem to be a bit different. From the last answer, I concluded that she is expecting a baby soon (how soon, that we don't know).
    Last edited by ctjcad; 09-16-2010 at 07:20 PM.

  17. #68
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    2,402
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    On the latter, I agree with the addition that were the website the story is on ever to become defunct no one would be able to read the article ever again (or for that matter on comments posted on the website of the article either). By posting on BF as well we get the chance to have more deabte about the issue & the other website get more clicks as people who click on the actual story become aware of that site.....for example I visit the MAS star papaer as a result of reading Badminton related stories fro mit on BF.

    I do of course understand Raphy's POV also...
    Everything you say there is more true if only an intro and link are posted and there is the missing, but not insignificant, bit about the majority of people, who will decide, logically, that they don't need to click on the link if they've already read the entire story here. That's why copyright laws prohibit cutting & pasting. No one is threatening legal action here. Just hoping that people on this forum care about a news site devoted to the sport they love.

    As for defunct links, every Badzine article from the last four years is still up and available. True, the URL changed recently but old articles are still just a search or a forum query away.
    Last edited by event; 09-16-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Zhou Mi's wedding
    By 2cents in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 11
    : 05-22-2011, 08:37 PM
  2. Xia Jingyun,Liu Xin and Zhou Hui.
    By sonyMKYbutetKiD in forum China Professional Players
    Replies: 0
    : 09-20-2010, 07:22 AM
  3. Zhou Mi's Controversy
    By ants in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 29
    : 11-09-2006, 05:16 PM
  4. Zhou Mi is now in Malaysia
    By xijiayu in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 104
    : 08-28-2006, 01:33 AM
  5. Zhou Mi's new hairstyle
    By kwun in forum General Forum
    Replies: 13
    : 04-27-2002, 06:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •