Medical cannabis

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by RSLvictorSOTX, Sep 7, 2010.

1. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

First Medical Marijuana Ad Airs in California

Northern California Commercial Hardly Causes Stir

[​IMG]

By RAY SANCHEZ
    Sept. 3, 2010

A decision by a Fox affiliate in California's capital to broadcast what is believed to be the first paid ad for a medical marijuana dispensary has caused hardly a stir, according to the station general manager and the advertiser.

"I answer my own phone, and I have received nothing directly," Mike Armstrong, acting general manager of KTXL in Sacramento, said of viewer complaints about the spot, which aired on Monday. "I expected more. I don't know. I just did."

The mellow reaction is perhaps attributable to the fact that cannabis use is widely accepted in Northern California.

In November, Californians will vote on whether to make their state the first to legalize marijuana for recreational use. Another law already on the books -- Proposition 215, or the Compassionate Use Act -- made the state the first to legalize medical marijuana.

The 30-second commercial is the brainchild of Lanette Davies, who owns Sacramento's CannaCare dispensary, which serves some 5,000 registered marijuana patients.

"It has been all positive," said Davies, who is opposed to the legalization of marijuana for recreational purposes. "I have not had one negative response. I expected more people to say, 'I don't like that.' I'm really pleasantly surprised that people have acknowledged the difference between a patient and somebody that is an abuser."

But John Redman, executive director of the San Diego-based Californians for a Drug Free Youth, said he expected a stronger reaction as more people see the commercial, which first aired Monday and will appear for more than a month.

"I know the prevention community is very disappointed," he said. "I think they are going to hear about it. You're going to see the tide turning on them."

The black-and-white segment shows various people talking about the benefits of marijuana for medicinal purposes. The accompanying text states that marijuana can be used to relieve many illnesses, including diabetes, HIV, Hepatitis C and hypertension.

"We get 30 seconds to portray the face of medicinal marijuana," said Davies, whose own daughter suffers from a rare bone disease and appears in the commercial. "Every single one of those people is a true-life patient. It's a very benign ad."

#1 RSLvictorSOTX, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. RSLvictorSOTX

Looks like a touchy feely subject...smoked it but didn't inhale:)?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my co-worker's niece, 15 yrs old. perfectly healthy kid but addicted to marijuana. so she went to a doctor and paid him $50 to get a marijuana permit and now she can smoke this stuff all day.

it all boils down to regulation and monitoring to avoid abuse.

4. RSLvictorSOTX

But you said addicted (so no medical reason on this, just hooked?) and having gotten a permit and being able to smoke all day...man that's an invite to much serious trouble in the future, who knows what it may lead to.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

So the doctor, who is supposed to give this girl good health advice, now becomes co-opted into supplying her with weed which, at the least, makes her an unmotivated slob. And he's supposed to "monitor" this recreational use? Gee, no wonder docs don't make housecalls anymore; they're too busy monitoring urine samples on Cheech and Chong.:rolleyes:

Marijuana does help relieve the suffering of some people, but it is not a medical panacea. The politicians need to decide whether to legalize it or not. But don't keep it illegal and then make doctors the reluctant "dealers".

6. RSLvictorSOTX

Policing medical practitioners is not probably the most significant problem rather how and where the plant is grown bears much more significance specially if the true purpose is medicinal. Growing in mercury and lead heavy irrigated land (it may not be directly the soil underneath but water seepage to cannabis plantation nearby...) may cause even bigger problem and health problems.

7. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Let's first put in jail those who illegaly deal the weed...
    Then people couldn't smoke anymore so they would preserve their health..

8. RSLvictorSOTX

If it's legalize then probably not many illegal dealers would be competitive. It probably can't shutdown the illegal dealers but it'll surely slump.

9. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    They would survive dealing other drugs...

10. RSLvictorSOTX

Whoops, you're right, totally forgot there are myriad of stuffs to be dealt:eek:.