1. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    Is it a fault serve if I do a forehand serve and turns the racket around just before I hit the ball without loosing pace in the rackets forward movement?

The ball hits the "other" sife of the racket.

Was that understandable???? :D

2. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Here are some of the rules of service:

11. SERVICE

11.1 In a correct service:

11.1.1 Neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the serve.

11.1.2 The server and receiver shall stand within diagonally opposite service courts without touching the boundary lines of these service courts; some part of both feet of the server and receiver must remain in contact with the surface of the court in a stationary position until the service is delivered (Law 11.4);

11.1.3 The server's racket shall initially hit the base of the shuttle while the whole of the shuttle is below the server's waist;

11.1.4 The shaft of the server's racket at the instant of hitting the shuttle shall be pointing in a downward direction to such an extent that the whole of the head of the racket is discernible below the whole of the server's hand holding the racket;

11.1.5 The movement of the server's racket must continue forwards after the start of the service (Law 11.2) until the service is delivered; and

11.1.6 The flight of the shuttle shall be upwards from the server's racket to pass over the net, so that, if not intercepted, it falls in the receiver's service court.

11.2 Once the players have taken their positions, the first forward movement of the server's racket is the start of the service.

11.3 The server shall not serve before the receiver is ready, but the receiver shall be considered to have been ready if a return of service is attempted.

11.4 The service is delivered when, once started (Law 11.2), the shuttle is hit by the server's racket or the shuttle lands on the floor.

11.5 In doubles, the partners may take up any positions which do not unsight the opposing server or receiver.

Here are the service faults:

15. FAULTS

It is a "fault":

15.1 If a service is not correct (Law 11.1);

15.2 If the server, in attempting to serve, misses the shuttle;

15.3 If after passing over the net on service, the shuttle is caught in or on the net;

15.4 If in play, the shuttle:

15.4.1 Lands outside the boundaries of the court;

15.4.2 Passes through or under the net;

15.4.3 Fails to pass the net;

15.4.4 Touches the roof, ceiling, or side walls;

15.4.5 Touches the person or dress of a player; or

15.4.6 Touches any other object or person outside the immediate surroundings of the court; (Where necessary, on account of the structure of the building, the local badminton authority may, subject to the right of veto of its National Organization, make by-laws dealing with cases in which a shuttle touches on obstruction.)

15.5 If, when in play, the initial point of contact with the shuttle is not on the striker's side of the net. (The striker may, however, follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke).

15.6 If, when the shuttle is in play, a player:

15.6.1 Touches the net or its supports with racket, person or dress;

15.6.2 Invades an opponent's court OVER THE NET with racket or person except as permitted in Law 15.5;

15.6.3 Invades an opponent's court UNDER THE NET with racket or person such that an opponent is obstructed or distracted; or

15.6.4 Obstructs an opponent, i.e. prevents an opponent from making a legal stroke where the shuttle is followed over the net;

15.7 If, in play, a player deliberately distracts an opponent by any action such as shouting or making gestures;

15.8 If, in play, the shuttle:

15.8.1 Be caught and held on the racket and slung during the execution of a stroke;

15.8.2 Be hit twice in succession by the same player with two strokes (A double hit by one player with one stroke is not a fault.); or

15.8.3 Be hit by a player and the player's partner successively; or

15.8.4 Touches a player's racket and continues toward the back of that player's court.

15.9 If a player is guilty of flagrant, repeated or persistent offenses under Law 18.

Looking at rule, 11.1.5 The movement of the server's racket must continue forwards after the start of the service (Law 11.2) until the service is delivered; and ..., would suggest that such serve is a fault. By changing the racket head around, one can construe that the racket or part of the racket is not completely continuing forward. I would call it a fault.

Ron

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I would say/guess legal as long as some part of the racket was aleays moving forwards.

Consider a backhand serve where you choke down the grip. If you flick the serve, then the butt of the racket move backwards as the racket head moves forwards.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    According to rule "11.1.5 The movement of the server's racket must continue forwards after the start of the service (Law 11.2) until the service is delivered; " and if I pic ur move correctly, I think it's a fault.

Let's pic ur move like a "x-y axis" if someone take pic from overhead camera. Assume u r right hand, and u standing at the origin. So, u start with a forehand move, the racket will travel from positive X to positive Y direction in Quad I. When u start to do the "trick", ur hand still move forward, so as the racket. However, at the moment u start to do the "flick" to switch to "backhand", I assume the head of racket (of at least part of the head, if u "flip" the racket) will be somehow being pulled back toward ur body (neg. Y direction), then released again.

Therefore, since the head of the racket actually has backward movement during the serve, it should be considered as fault.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    LB

What a mathematical way to explain this special serve but to me this is quite a clear picture and I agree it should be a fault under this particular section of the Laws.

6. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Thanks LB for explaining with XY coordinates what I was trying to say with as few words as possible. I would consider such a serve a fault. Such a serve while deceptive, will be very inaccurate and wild. Not a good way to serve anyway.

Ron

7. Cruxradio

Cruxradio Regular Member

Guess they never recovered from jet-lag
    One gentleman at our club has a serve similar to this however it's probably legal.
    He usually serves backhand, so for this serve he uses the same setup as a backhand serve.
    When he drops the bird to serve, he changes his racquet from the normal position to a forehand serve all in one motion.
    It isn't particularily deceptive but its one of the most original serves I've seen.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LB, under certain movement, one can change from a forward to a backhand serve all in one positive forward motion. However, i dun if this is a fault or not.

I got another one for you to analyse. If i do a forehand or backhand serve, during the forward motion, i twirl the racquet along the shaft axis, is that legal?

9. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

15.2 If the server, in attempting to serve, misses the shuttle;

That's a fault? I thought that was a let... as in if you try to serve but miss, you can try to serve again?!
    :confused:

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    BRL

Yes, that's a fault. Quite unlike tennis.

11. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Hmmmm, if it is one motion I don't think it would be a fault but if you are like stuttering and choke and manage to get it over then I'd rule it as a fault.

12. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I believe that under the old rules, if a player completely misses the shuttlecork, the player got to serve again. Under the new rules, a complete miss is still a fault.

I would interpret the rules and if a player took a backhand stance and held the racket in the backhand position, and in reverse motion, quickly changed to a forehand racket service position (but no leg movement) and then served forehand with the backhand type service stance (I know of players who have the backhand stance while serving forehand), the serve would be legal. It is a continuous motion in the forehand serve. To change the racket from backhand to forehand while in the forward motion would be a fault.

Ron

13. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

There were new rules? I must have been asleep or something because... whoa!??:confused:

14. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    Nope. The head of the racket will not have a backward movement during the serve.
    Try it! Start with a normal forehand serve, then just simply turn the racket around within the movement forward. Like a backhand position on your forehand side, ehh, sort of.
    It´s not a great way to serve but it confuses the opponent and that is good if you start to loose a lot of points in a row. It looks like a long serve but end up a short, and the hesitation of the opponent will likely give you an easy ball in return and, oups, your back in buisness again. :cool:

Some say it´s a fault but I don´t think the rules say that it is. HELP! :eek:

Try it and give me your opinion or your opponents opinion!
    :D

15. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Old rules that were in place when I first started playing badminton. This was when players could deuce at 13 and at 14 (9, 10 for women's). That was a long long time ago when the Thomas cup was the best of 9 matches, etc. :D The IBF has streamlined the game and made minor changes to the game since the era of the dinosaurs.

Ron

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    hmmm... if u did not move the head backward, then, I assume that the motion of the head is more like a big "C" in air. Say, using right hand, it will intially move to the left front, making a "smooth turn" and becomes a backhand flip.

I still think it's more like a fault, since the racket is not completly making a "forward" move, since somehow, it make a big turn (say, at least 60' or 90'), and the turn could be a sharp one instead of a smooth one.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hmmm... this one really hard to answer, but here's my thoughts:

1. Using my XY axis, and name the intial side facing up is A, and intial side facing down is B. On face A, name the front most point is A1, and back most point is A2.

2. During a forward motion, thirl the racket along the shaft, this will result into the A2 will eventually comes in front of A1. In order to do this, there should be somehow a "pull back" action on A1.

Therefore, I think it's a fault...

18. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Legal or not, I doubt the usefulness of this serve, as I think it could possibly trick very inexperienced players.

And at that level of play, it is hardly considered good sportsmanship to deploy a trick serve which really requires an umpire to judge if it's legal or not.

I would concentrate on perfecting a deceptive "normal" service movement instead.

19. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    I agree Mag. I just wondered because noone can tell, or?:)

20. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Well it is sort of your opinion that is why it'd be so risky to use it in a match.