Strings Help

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by shuttlebasher, Sep 12, 2010.

1. shuttlebasher

shuttlebasher Regular Member

Student
    Hello all, this is my first post/thread to bc so go easy on me. I been using BG-65 for 6 years of playing badminton and it was never an issue to me. But when I joined my highschool badminton team I saw more equipment and it sparked an interest for me to change my setup as well.
    I tried one of my friends BG-65ti at 24lbs and it wasn't so great and he just said that I wasn't good enough to use it, yet he broke a set of BG-80 in a couple of mins last season :rolleyes:. Another friend who came there to help coach had BG-80 at 24lbs which I felt gave me more power in every shot I took.

I currently use 2 BK photons XL with BG-65 at 28lbs in black. I want to keep the string color in black or yellow just for the looks :cool:. But without trading looks for performence. So for yellow strings there BG-80 and 65. For black strings there BG-68ti, BG-65ti, BG-65, BG-70pro.

I'm leaning towards BG-70pro in black at 28lbs because it can hold tension but how would it perform compare to BG-80 at say 26lbs. I'm mostly confuse about if a string is thicker then if you increase the tension to a certain amount it should feel and perform like a thinner string correct?

2. shuttlebasher

shuttlebasher Regular Member

Student
    Advice please??? :(

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I had a BK Photon for a long while, yellow BG80 strung at 20/22 and it served me well. The thing is, BG80 does not lose its tension after stringing, (maybe just 5%) as opposed to BG65 which can lose upto around 30% of its tension in a few days after stringing.

As far as I can remember, BK recommends that the Superlights (Photon, Ghost etc) be strung to a max of 24 lbs.

The thinner string will help you with better control so you could sacrifice the tension by a couple of lbs in turn...

4. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    Its all about balancing the cost of restringing. If cost is not an issue then play with the strings you play best with.

In general thinner strings will give more power with less effort than a .7mm string. Yes a fatter string needs to strung higher than its equivalent thinner string (is there is such a thing) to perform similarly. I dont think you will go wrong with bg80 but expect a lot of restrings

I think 28lbs strings in high school is a bit ott unless you have access to a stringing machine.

5. masterblaster99

masterblaster99 Regular Member

Hey Shuttlebasher,

I have been using an AS10 for about the past 6 months and have had it strung with both BG80 and BG70 pro. IMO, I would definitely stick to the BG80. You give up a little durability but there is no comparison in the way the two strings behave. The BG80 is much more sensitive so you "feel" the racket/shuttle better and it seems to give you a great deal more control. BG70 pro is a durable string, but feels a bit "dead" to me if you understand what I am saying, due to its thickness.

You can make your BG80 last a little longer if you string it to a a maximum 24 lbs. I find any higher than 26 and it breeaks pretty quickly.

Hope that helps you out a bit.;)