User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who has the best effective smash in MS?

Voters
639. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liem Swie King

31 4.85%
  • Heryanto Arbi

26 4.07%
  • Yang Yang

2 0.31%
  • Morten Frost

3 0.47%
  • Zhao Jianhua

33 5.16%
  • Taufik Hidayat

128 20.03%
  • Lin Dan

317 49.61%
  • Lee Chong Wei

71 11.11%
  • Peter Gade

13 2.03%
  • Others - please specify

15 2.35%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the best now : Lin Dan.
    the best ever : Heryanto arbi
    The best euro : Thomas Stuer Lauridson
    the best malaysia : Lee Chong Wei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzroll View Post
    the best now : Lin Dan.
    the best ever : Heryanto arbi
    The best euro : Thomas Stuer Lauridson
    the best malaysia : Lee Chong Wei
    I agree jazzroll except for TSL, i never heard of him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well actually. Depends on how we define a good smash. Impressive effective smashes all depend on other things. How short the clear was, what angle the lift was, whether the defender has time to prepare.

From what I've seen, excluding older players, the best smash happens to be Taufik. He can hit harder than Lin Dan or Lee Chong Wei and from right at the back of the court, he enjoys far higher success than them. But if we are talking about smashes that win points, LD and LCW have the advantage seeing as they are fitter and faster and able to set up the points better.

In conclusion, LD and LCW don't compare to Taufik for pure smashes but their game is better in other areas to more than make up for it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregs_pcs View Post
    Well actually. Depends on how we define a good smash. Impressive effective smashes all depend on other things. How short the clear was, what angle the lift was, whether the defender has time to prepare.

From what I've seen, excluding older players, the best smash happens to be Taufik. He can hit harder than Lin Dan or Lee Chong Wei and from right at the back of the court, he enjoys far higher success than them. But if we are talking about smashes that win points, LD and LCW have the advantage seeing as they are fitter and faster and able to set up the points better.

In conclusion, LD and LCW don't compare to Taufik for pure smashes but their game is better in other areas to more than make up for it.
    Lin Dan actually smashes as hard as him most of the time - and his deception with the smash (where he's gonna place it) is better imop. If you compare how they penetrate, say, LCW's defense, LD has a higher rate of success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my opinion, the euro player has advantage to produce powerful smash coz their fizical are more tough and taller than asian player. e.g : morten frost, peter gade, TSL and peter rassmusen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzroll View Post
    my opinion, the euro player has advantage to produce powerful smash coz their fizical are more tough and taller than asian player. e.g : morten frost, peter gade, TSL and peter rassmusen.
    In theory, yes. But from Morten to Peter to the current European youngsters Im yet to see something extraordrinary smash from them. Perhaps its got something to do with the training, technique and ferosity on how they approach the game.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoppy View Post
    In theory, yes. But from Morten to Peter to the current European youngsters Im yet to see something extraordrinary smash from them. Perhaps its got something to do with the training, technique and ferosity on how they approach the game.
    I think most European players are too heavy to follow the shuttle quickly enough to the net and get behind it fast enough. LD is/was able to pull off his amazing style of play because he got the speed of movement AND stamina to position himself properly and recover quickly. European players might have a slight advantage due to their (generally) bigger frame, but most lack either the speed or the stamina to play aggressively against world class players. Thus they tend to use their bigger reach to minimize their movement around the court and play quite tactically (Ouseph being a prime example here). When they're smaller, they often lack the power to penetrate a world class defense (e.g. Marc Zwiebler).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to come off as racist or anything, but isn't Lin Dan more likely to win such a poll just by virtue of China's larger population and thus larger number of potential supporters? Now Lin Dan may very well be the best smasher, but I'm just posing a question here. I'm not a keen enough follower of the sport to know better myself unfortunately.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Naim.F.C View Post
    Not to come off as racist or anything, but isn't Lin Dan more likely to win such a poll just by virtue of China's larger population and thus larger number of potential supporters? Now Lin Dan may very well be the best smasher, but I'm just posing a question here. I'm not a keen enough follower of the sport to know better myself unfortunately.
    I think in this forum, the Chinese don't have too much of an advantage as it's in English I think that limits the numbers quite a bit...also, many Europeans and Americans (myself included) have voted for LD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    I think in this forum, the Chinese don't have too much of an advantage as it's in English I think that limits the numbers quite a bit...also, many Europeans and Americans (myself included) have voted for LD.
    Yeah, there aren't too many people from mainland China here on the forum...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Taufik Hidayat
    2. Lin Dan
    3. Marc Zweibler (when he times it right, it goes freaken FAST)
    4. Lee Chong Wei
    5. Kenichi Tago

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheComedian View Post
    1. Taufik Hidayat
    2. Lin Dan
    3. Marc Zweibler (when he times it right, it goes freaken FAST)
    4. Lee Chong Wei
    5. Kenichi Tago
    Marc is definitely not as good as LCW. E.g. his top smash against LD was no faster than 260, whereas LCW repeatedly went faster than 270 or even 280. The average speed of Marc's smashes is normally around 225 as opposed to ~250 of LCW. I believe Tago is also better, but that's a personal opinion =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lin Dan's smashing ability was superb .. he could use unto it into different angles with supreme power .... amazing ..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Marc is definitely not as good as LCW. E.g. his top smash against LD was no faster than 260, whereas LCW repeatedly went faster than 270 or even 280. The average speed of Marc's smashes is normally around 225 as opposed to ~250 of LCW. I believe Tago is also better, but that's a personal opinion =)
    Well I know Marc's smash isn't consistant, but every once in a while he busts out a smash that even Lee Chong Wei can't match. But usally when he plays lower ranked players. Like Simon Santoso. Maybe I should have put him number 5 :P

I ranked Taufik 1st because you know, He has a better samsh than Lin Dan on both sides. (Forehand AND Backhand) not only is it more powerful, he paints the lines.

Kenichi Togo's smash is Wicked. It's angled, fast, and deadly. but as Peter Gade has explained, Tago's footwork is inexpierenced. He makes bad decisionsand usally ends up being late for most overhead shots. If you watch the Bao Chunlai vs Tago match from the Semi - Final of the all england 2010, you can see that. But if you watch the final against Lee Chong Wei, He gets most of his points from smashing down Lee Chong Wei's Forhand side.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lee Chong Wei has an amazing smash, probably the most consistent and effective, in my opinion.

When it comes to raw power, it just has to be Hidayat in his prime. Lin Dan comes close.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheComedian View Post
    Well I know Marc's smash isn't consistant, but every once in a while he busts out a smash that even Lee Chong Wei can't match. But usally when he plays lower ranked players. Like Simon Santoso. Maybe I should have put him number 5 :P

I ranked Taufik 1st because you know, He has a better samsh than Lin Dan on both sides. (Forehand AND Backhand) not only is it more powerful, he paints the lines.

Kenichi Togo's smash is Wicked. It's angled, fast, and deadly. but as Peter Gade has explained, Tago's footwork is inexpierenced. He makes bad decisionsand usally ends up being late for most overhead shots. If you watch the Bao Chunlai vs Tago match from the Semi - Final of the all england 2010, you can see that. But if you watch the final against Lee Chong Wei, He gets most of his points from smashing down Lee Chong Wei's Forhand side.
    Hm. I've seen him play on several occasions, and never thought a smash was particularly impressive (compared to the other professionals, of course ). But maybe I've watched the wrong matches...do you remember a specific match where he did one of those smashes?
    That being said, his game is really not built around his smashes. I think he plays with pretty high tension (compare the sound it makes...), which might limit his power, but he goes for accuracy rather than power anyway. He also has an impressive court coverage.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast