User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who has the best effective smash in MS?

Voters
649. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liem Swie King

31 4.78%
  • Heryanto Arbi

27 4.16%
  • Yang Yang

2 0.31%
  • Morten Frost

3 0.46%
  • Zhao Jianhua

33 5.08%
  • Taufik Hidayat

129 19.88%
  • Lin Dan

323 49.77%
  • Lee Chong Wei

73 11.25%
  • Peter Gade

13 2.00%
  • Others - please specify

15 2.31%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pakito View Post
    Yes you do have a point about rating at their prime, but I guess playing while you're way past your best does have it's downsides and uninvited criticisms, even though Taufik still plays for the love of the sport.
    I guess it also has sth to do with the $$$ Although I understand and am not gonna criticize him for playing with less training and not the same hard preparation of LCW and LD....after all he probably feels he has achieved what he can and is at a point where the All England is out of his grasp, even with hard preparation. In his position I would probably not do much different...if you've been playing on the international scene since you were 16 I think your enthusiasm for those hard, grueling training sessions necessary to excel in MS just isn't quite there anymore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forever chong wei is my idol..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought LCW's smash right before the first interval of WC 2011 against LD was very impressive, read 279 km/h. Just that LD's smash in general looks more menacing, and perhaps is a teeny bit faster.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I gotta go with Lin Dan & kenichi tago

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lin dan still the best

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jan o jorgensens smashed are pretty nice as well :0 I while watching him playing lee Chong Wei in the super series.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taufik's 305 km/h smash on his match against Nan Wei in 2006 WC still goes down as the fastest smash recorded.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did the 2006 WC not count? There were a few smashes harder than that there, Lee Hyun Il clocked one in at 308 or 318, I believe...still, speed is only one aspect of the smash, so the guy with the fastest smash isn't necessarily the best smasher, especially in singles where you often get countered if you play one at the wrong time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Hsueh Hsuan Yi from Chinese Taipei has quite a powerful smash. Watch his match against Jan O Jorgensen hahaha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Did the 2006 WC not count? There were a few smashes harder than that there, Lee Hyun Il clocked one in at 308 or 318, I believe...still, speed is only one aspect of the smash, so the guy with the fastest smash isn't necessarily the best smasher, especially in singles where you often get countered if you play one at the wrong time.
    310km/h...although surprisingly it doesn't look or sound as impressive as Taufiks 305km/h

LYH - 310km/h
    TH - 305km/h

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably because it wasnt as big a setup - Taufik got a high lift, jumped with a big motion and put it down with all his might despite his opponent being fully ready, while LHI got a lift and just decided to put on a little more pressure, hitting BCL in the process

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parupalli kashyap perfect smashes evrytime...I know he needs to improve his overall play but smash is something he can teach anyone .....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Judging by those I have seen in the flesh - I would say the modern Lee Chong Wei has the most POWERFUL - I don't think the young LCW had anywhere near as powerful a smash...?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think one crucial point is that on certain shuttles a player x would be to late for a smash and could only do a half-smash or drop or clear, while other players would anticipate enough and above all jump towards the back and do a full smash.
    On that account LD has the best smash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we talk abaout speed, heryanto arbi is no. 1....maybe most of here not see how arbi play....his killing shot, powerful jumping smash from base line....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant remember when was the last time i commented about this topic in another earlier thread that leads to this poll being created later. Certainly the leader here is LD by a far margin and no doubt he is one of the best MS single smasher exist.

However, when i look into the poll result then i can only assume that most of the voter here are mostly from the younger generation that live to witness great badminton players of the 20th century. Maybe you've witness either through the lenses of your ultra HD LED or maybe seeing them playing for real the calculated speed of FU HF or Taufik or Dato' smashes but if you given a chance to turn back time as an audience to watch Liem Swie King smashes live in front of you like i regularly did when he came to KL back in the 80's and 90's then for one sure thing is that the speed of any of the above player smashes is just an amateur IMHO. If the smash speedometer was created during those time, i just can't imagine what will be speed of it. Not just the speed of his smash was hardly visible but the sound that comes with it was so frightening. No wonder he is named king and when i thought that his thundering smash was unchallenged, then came this dude name Heryanto Arbi who revolutionize how smash should be executed that was as fearsome as Lim himself...... only now you add that with a very effective jump.

As far as for a deceptive smash is concern. i still can consider not to blame you if you can't predict where will LD smash land most of the time but for sure i will certainly not blame you at all if you can't predict where will Zhao Jian Hua smash will land most of the time. If you watch this nearly 2.0 meter tall guy jump and smash in front of you, he is so unpredictable that i rather buy myself a lottery and put my luck there rather on him to guess where he will smash. To add the agony of his unpredictability, he certainly has the most steepness smash of any player I've witness until now.

I still remember that i had a chat with Datuk Misbun when we went fishing together in one of the fishing pond here in KL and i did ask him about who is the player that he think that he feared most in term of smash if Datuk is stll playing until now and without hesitation he says THE KING.....LIM SWIE KING and he also told me that you certainly don't want to play with him in doubles if he is on steroid covering the front court!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast