2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    hmm
    my budget is under rm1500 lah
    not that rich
    hard saving money
    limsy, i have been through the same experience before. what photos do you wish to take? badminton action?

due to budget constraints i started with a basic dslr cam but subsequently upgraded to a mid range model as i found the basic model too slow for sports and sold it at a loss. if i were to start over again, i would start off with the mid range model.

would suggest you start off with a used D300 (or join the canon camp with a used 40d/50d) and you wont lose too much money if you lost interest in photography and sold off the cam

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sealman View Post
    limsy, i have been through the same experience before. what photos do you wish to take? badminton action?

due to budget constraints i started with a basic dslr cam but subsequently upgraded to a mid range model as i found the basic model too slow for sports and sold it at a loss. if i were to start over again, i would start off with the mid range model.

would suggest you start off with a used D300 (or join the canon camp with a used 40d/50d) and you wont lose too much money if you lost interest in photography and sold off the cam
    for badminton
    i normally doesn't take the photo when player in motion
    only take when they ready to serve,or during interval
    that's because i am not a media and the limitation on both skill and camera ability

i use camera for gathering,party,outgoing,travel and view capture
    and also for recording

my previous camera(sony dsc-h3 with 8 mega pixel and 10 optical zoom) are good enough for my daily use but i bought it in 2007,and the lens is a bit damaged so the photo is now abit low quality
    so i plain to buy a new one with the budget aroun rm 1500
    found a camera with 12.3 mega pixels and 23 optical zoom,rm 1499(forget the model)
    but still considering,will made decision before i go to malaysia open 2011

i wont lost interest in photography
    it's part of my life and memory
    thanks for the suggestion

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

for badminton
    i normally doesn't take the photo when player in motion
    only take when they ready to serve,or during interval
    that's because i am not a media and the limitation on both skill and camera ability

i use camera for gathering,party,outgoing,travel and view capture
    and also for recording

my previous camera(sony dsc-h3 with 8 mega pixel and 10 optical zoom) are good enough for my daily use but i bought it in 2007,and the lens is a bit damaged so the photo is now abit low quality
    so i plain to buy a new one with the budget aroun rm 1500
    found a camera with 12.3 mega pixels and 23 optical zoom,rm 1499(forget the model)
    but still considering,will made decision before i go to malaysia open 2011

i wont lost interest in photography
    it's part of my life and memory
    thanks for the suggestion
    This is an important point. Do you want to take better photos within badminton?

If you are not interested in the action photos, then I think basic DSLR with video or prosumer camera will be fine.

For parties, many people find large size to be an issue and some people feel shy using a large size camera.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post

If you are not interested in the action photos, then I think basic DSLR with video or prosumer camera will be fine.

For parties, many people find large size to be an issue and some people feel shy using a large size camera.
    well
    i want to take better photos within badminton but i still a student
    not rich(buying with own money)
    its ok for me having a big camera as i act as the photographer in those parties and gathering
    still thinking i want camera+laptop or only camera
    if only camera then i will direct buy dslr
    hard to made decision now
    hmm

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well
    its ok for me having a big camera as i act as the photographer in those parties and gathering
    hmm
    sound like Panasonic TZ-10 is best bet for RM1500.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

planning to change my camera(after 3 years and 15k photo)
    still not yet decide but the budget is limited
    will made my decision before malaysia open 2011 i think
    ..limsy, congrats lah with whatever camera you decide to purchase..just don't get disappointed and then come back later to us and regret you should've bought the other..
    Reading your priorities and the type of baddy (and party) shots you're planning to take, with your budget of RM1500 (around $500), then i think a regular P&S is good enough. Also consider if you want to do video recording. If i'm in your shoes, i'd definitely consider that feature. Right now many P&S cameras have HD video recording (i don't think there is any DSLR with HD recording which falls under your budget). If you have the budget, go for the 1080 version instead of the 720. Also, consider the zoom factor since most likely you'll take baddy pics from far away.
    There are a few models out there for you to choose~Check Dpreview.com and compare them...good luck and i'll look fw to your 2011 M'sia Open pics!
    Last edited by ctjcad; 12-08-2010 at 04:08 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    sound like Panasonic TZ-10 is best bet for RM1500.
    will try to search the info

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..limsy, congrats lah with whatever camera you decide to purchase..just don't get disappointed and then come back later to us and regret you should've bought the other..
    Reading your priorities and the type of baddy (and party) shots you're planning to take, with your budget of RM1500 (around $500), then i think a regular P&S is good enough. Also consider if you want to do video recording. If i'm in your shoes, i'd definitely consider that feature. Right now many P&S cameras have HD video recording (i don't think there is any DSLR with HD recording which falls under your budget). If you have the budget, go for the 1080 version instead of the 720. Also, consider the zoom factor since most likely you'll take baddy pics from far away.
    There are a few models out there for you to choose~Check Dpreview.com and compare them...good luck and i'll look fw to your 2011 M'sia Open pics!
    will tell when i bought the camera

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..will tell when i bought the camera
    off topic:
    btw, is a large capacity SD card (16 or 32GB) included in your Rm1500 budget??..if not, save some to purchase one of those..

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i prefer smaller capacity. like 8gb X 2 rather than 16gb X 1. once the card fail, it will be total lost. 16gb is good for shooting RAW with much bigger file and will store like 400-600 photos for 1DIII or D3x.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well
    hmm
    u told me u considered a camera named 'Nikom' before..

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

well
    hmm
    What I have learnt is that mainstream cameras always lose their value. Imagine you get the top camera now. In 5-6 years time, you will probably start working and after saving a while, you can afford the top camera. e.g. from 18k RM to 3k RM over 6 years. Unfortunately, top lenses do not lose value much. To get those badminton action shots is very expensive because of the lenses.

There are only a few reasons to spend that much money.

1) you are a pro - in which case your company should buy the lenses for you to use.

2) it's an all consuming hobby - you must have deep pockets.

3) you use the camera a lot for other photography - not necessarily badminton related.

4) you can get back the cost of equipment from photography assignments

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i prefer smaller capacity. like 8gb X 2 rather than 16gb X 1. once the card fail, it will be total lost. 16gb is good for shooting RAW with much bigger file and will store like 400-600 photos for 1DIII or D3x.
    Cards rarely fail. 8Gb should be enough for jpegs anyway. Later, the cards will become cheaper.

However, may need the larger card at class 6 speed or higher for the video function.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

my hands are getting itchy on this one.
    superbbbbbb.....
    you scratch your itch and what is the verdict?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    off topic:
    btw, is a large capacity SD card (16 or 32GB) included in your Rm1500 budget??..if not, save some to purchase one of those..
    lol
    of course the memory card is in the package

What I have learnt is that mainstream cameras always lose their value. Imagine you get the top camera now. In 5-6 years time, you will probably start working and after saving a while, you can afford the top camera. e.g. from 18k RM to 3k RM over 6 years. Unfortunately, top lenses do not lose value much. To get those badminton action shots is very expensive because of the lenses.

1) you are a pro - in which case your company should buy the lenses for you to use.

3) you use the camera a lot for other photography - not necessarily badminton related.

both b and c
    thats why i say i only afford to buy dslr when i start to work

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    u told me u considered a camera named 'Nikom' before..
    not quite sure with it
    will go and have a look again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spot on. Cheung is deep in the money.

My 1997-8 F90X(N90S) is probably $100 worth eventhough it is in fantastic condition. I paid 900USD.
    My D2H is probably worth $500 now. It was $3.5K (Cheapest price new). Less than 20k Actuations.
    My FM2 I dont want to think abt it.

My Suggestion is as follows: Get this kit

http://www.adorama.com/INKD700127.html (Add to cart and you get ~$6.2K)

Flog of the D700 for $2.2K. That makes the Kit lenses worth to be $4K (That is amazing price for three Pro lenses). You will never have to buy any other lense for 20 years unless you turn pro (300 F2.8 or 200-400mm), fall in love with Macro (worms, butterflies etc) or love the 85mm F1.4 Bokeh.

Go buy a cheap used DSLR with good low light noise performance (someone else upgraded their body because it is the latest in the market - peer pressure).

You will be soon posting shots here that others would love to have (also dont forget to pay for some lessons if you are starting out).

The day you lose interest you will get your money back easily on the lenses (if not more). Bad luck with the body.

Cheers

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

lol
    of course the memory card is in the package

both b and c
    thats why i say i only afford to buy dslr when i start to work
    That's a good answer. In order to start preparing for your working life, when the options are 1,2 or 3, don't answer with a,b, or c... hahaah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast