Can local player deliver? a thread about home court advantage

Discussion in 'Bitburger / China Masters / Japan Open 2010' started by freelast, Sep 16, 2010.

1. freelast

freelast Regular Member

Can local players deliver? a thread about home court advantage

In all sports, home court advantage is an important thing. But unfortunately few people discuss this here.

This China master tournament is held in a small town of China, Changzhou, a town with less than two hundred thousand urban population. while Denmark, with nearly 6 million, is 30 times larger than Changzhou.

Many people think Denmark is the strongest country in badminton based on population. Because China is 200 times larger than Denmark, so China should produce 200 Gades and Tines, to be able to compare Denmark.

Since most area in China don't play badminton, such as Tibet and China muslin area in the north and west, so if we compare a city like Changzhou with Denmark makes some sense too.

With only 1/30 population of Denmark, in women's singles, Changzhou has two active players, Lu Lan (World Champion 2009) and Jiang Yanjiao (China national Champion twice). And another female single Wang Shixian is not in this city, but only 30 miles away from Changzhou. On Denmark side, it has Tine Baun, Camilla Sorensen (ranked 45) and Karina Jorgensen (ranked 74) as the top 3 players. From this analysis, even Denmark is stronger than China based on population, but Denmakr is not that stronger than some cities in China based on population. That's my key point to view from population.

anyway, back to the home court advantage, now local WS players Lu Lan, Jiang YJ and Wang SX are still in the draw alive. How far they can go? Can they win on their own territory? How the audiences and spectators react in the stadium and on the court?

Indonesia is another powerhouse, many people think it's the most powerful country in badminton. But early this year, without any Chinese participation, Indonesians failed to win any title on their home court Indonesia super series 2010. That's very surprising, they gave all their titles and money to Malaysian, Taiwanese, Indians, Polishes and Koreans. Will this happen again in the China master?

Unfortunately, Lu Lan and Wang SX will collide next round, and Jiang YJ will fight with Wang Xin. So the first obstacle for the local WS is Wang Xin, good thing is there are 3 locals to deal with Wang Xin. After that, either Tine or Wang YH will be the 2nd obstacle. Funny thing is that Wang YH is not too far away from Changzhou either. She's about 80 miles away from Changzhou too.

Good luck to the locals, don't let Indonesia open happen again, protect your homeland!

Let's see...

#1 freelast, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    wow
    i dont know what is the relation between 1st post and the thread title
    anyone?

3. freelast

freelast Regular Member

did I run too far away from the main topic? I am trying to see how far the local WS can go.

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Last 2 para is related to title of the thread : Home ground advantage. That in my opinion differs from country to country. As discussed before, INA usually dont win at INA SS, China players generally do well on home ground,etc,etc.

Earlier paragraphs on population & badminton thingy, which is also discussed in the CBA thread.

5. freelast

freelast Regular Member

thanks, but China is too BIG, I would like to see whether China local town's players instead of other Chinese players. Jiang YJ was born and raised in Changzhou while Wang Xin, thousands of miles away. Does JYJ have the home court advantage when she plays WX next round?

6. freelast

freelast Regular Member

I remembered that Taufik won 6 or 7 times at INA open/SS, while he has NOT won any in europe (except Olympics). I think INA usually did better on home court than as a guest team. They did not won anything in WC either. But this year, they wasted their home court advantages especially with Chinese absent.

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

That's Taufik only. Look at Indonesia Open records in TS, past 10 years, only in 2001 they won most of it. Other times it's only 1 or 2 titles out of 5.
    Msia also it's not home ground advantage, they do better in tourneys outside Msia.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..my question is: does it really matter whether local player (from Changzhou) could win a title in this tourney?? Unless master LYB instructs certain instructions on the remaining CHN players to give way to the local Changzhou player(s), then the titles are pretty much open for grab.
    In my eyes, it doesn't really matter whether the CHN player(s) who win are from Changzhou or Beijing or Guangzhou..they're all won by CHN, the homeland team, anyway..

9. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Ah, you're missing the point. Of course it doesn't matter, but he is asking if coming from that particular province gives a home ground advantage, making them perform better.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..ideally and to an extent depending on the players' skills/abilities, yes...but what will be the reality??..thus, it's pretty much irrelevant and at the end doesn't really matter..

#10 ctjcad, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  11. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    but MAS players won 8-1 against other countries during TC/UC gathering. :)

12. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

He's not asking about in the end. He's asking about whether the players will perform better based on home ground. And he is using 'province' players like Lu Lan now to do some sort of analysis.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..this my answer~thank you very much..