I need tips and advice about my mental game. Please help if you possible.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by quacky, Sep 17, 2010.

1. quacky

quacky Regular Member

Hello,

I used to play badminton on and off but my health got in the way until recently. I have gotten less sickly so I started to take badminton, something I've always loved, a bit more serious with a light racket and quality shoes.

But now that I am able to put more effort into the game, I am noticing a very strange trend. I can't seem to win games no matter who the opponent is. I am a beginner of course and others I played with are beginners too. While I've been sickly, at least I have watched some games and know intellectually the strokes and have good movements for a beginner (even when I can't play, I can still watch teaching videos online). The people I play with are not serious about the game and do not have correct movements or strokes. Nor can they return most of my shots when I do them correctly.

However, in a game, I will start out well and end badly. I have plenty of stamina compared to my opponents. I start out with serves they cannot return and hits they cannot react to. But as the point different increase, my game changes. The more points ahead I am, the worst I become. I mimic my opponents. If I then start losing by several points, my game gets better until we are even. It's like my body or mind doesn't want to play a game. Maybe it's a bad habit I picked up from being too sickly for too long.

Does anyone know about this and have any couching tips? In addition to trips, are there any training I can do (such as a person who is scared of the bird can have a partner smash at them repeatedly). I don't want to win to win, but i want to play honestly and improve myself.

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I would be interested in knowing whats is going through your head as you are losing those points or as you are winning? I was coaching somebody whose serve just kept going in the net. I asked them what was going through their head, and they told me they imagined it would go into the net. I told them to imagine it going over and in. From that point onwards, they didn't hit another serve into the net.

If you get worried once you are ahead that you will begin to lose points, perhaps this is MAKING you lose the points. Perhaps you could focus on HOW you WILL WIN the next point. Tell yourself you are going to do certain things that will help you win. Imagine the flight of the shuttle as it lands IN instead of just out. What this will do is get you into the habit of winning points at every available opportunity, as it sounds as if you are capable of doing so.

Another tactic you could try, is to split the game into smaller sets of points e.g. its first to 5 points, and then again, and then again etc until the whole game is completed. This way you will be regularly "even" in points at 0 - 0 for this small set of 5 points. For example, you start the game well and are leading 5 - 1. Now, imagine instead that it is 0 - 0 again and you must reach 5 first. Maybe this will help you, because it will lead you to play the way you play when under pressure, which seems to be how you play your best. Winning under pressure is an excellent skill to be good at, as long as you dont become "lazy" because you are a few points ahead and you begin to "ease off".

I hope some or all of this may be of help to you. The first one regarding tactics, is the one I use.

Matt

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Good points above.

Also, since you're playing social games (it seems like), so perhaps you feel bad for beating them too soundly? Hence, you're tending to ease off when you're winning.

How long has it been since you've returned to badminton? Maybe more court time will improve this aspect.

4. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    people improve VERY quickly at the beginner level. Sometimes, a matter of 2-3 weeks of downtime will mean you're lagging behind your friends who have continued playing. Or they might be learning at a quicker level than you are. Or maybe they figured out your weaknesses and they're using it against you.

I wouldn't use initial points as a gauge for how well you're doing. When I play against players I can beat fairly easily, I keep the points close up to about 15, then run away at the end 21-16 or something. makes for fun games, lol.

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I don't think that has really answered quacky's question urameatball... if you read the description it sounds as if quacky is the one who is ahead of his friends, and he has a mental problem, not his opponent playing on his weakness... hence the "mental game" title of this discussion. Do you have any tips related to what you said to match with the needs to the topic creator?

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  7. urameatball

Photographer
    Recently, a friend of mine placed very well in a tournament and he felt on top of the world. The results motivated him to work EXTREMELY hard on his game so he can be even more dominant. He missed a couple of weeks of badminton because of work, and since then, he hasn't been able to keep up with the opponents he beat at the tournament. In fact, he's losing the vast majority of his games now. So yeah, he continued to improve very quickly, but his opponents improved even faster.
    I just wanted to point out with what quacky posted, it may not be a mental game. It maybe a matter of changing skill levels and he should focus more on improving his skills rather than his thought processes. IMO, at the beginner level, games are decided by 5% mental, 75% skill, 20% luck

8. quacky

quacky Regular Member

Thank you for the replies above, it gave me some thoughts. In addition to what I wrote at the top, I am remembering some of the faults I make during the game when I'm ahead in points. I have a tight serve for a beginner, but after serving several times in a row I would start to serve short -- not gradually but suddenly and then consistently short until the points even out. Also, my smashes get affected by my mental game too. As the points difference grows, my smashes get flatter and flatter until it's not a smash anymore but a long drive that goes just pass the back line. And the last type of fault that comes up are just misses. I move into a good position to hit the bird and then I miss on shots I definitely expect not to miss on.

MSeeley: During the game, I don't think much besides what area of the court I want to place the bird and where I want to be when I receive the bird. I am not used to thinking about winning or losing. I'm on the part where I replay my strokes in my head and the sounds of the bird as it leaves my opponent's racket to get a sense of where it's headed. I do noticed that as I get a few points ahead, my opponents lose their readiness most of the time. Their rackets hang more limp and their feet are closer together. It bothers me a bit, not sure in what way. I'll take notice of that more to evaluate my opponent's seriousness effects me. I'm going to add more imagery training to see the exact trajectories of the birds in my head instead of just glaces worth of imagery based on your first paragraph. As for the second paragraph, I think that recounting concept (count 0-5 as 0-0 in my head) is a great way to work around my situation for now as I work on the other tips you mentioned over time.

9. quacky

quacky Regular Member

Visor: Thank you for your support Visor. As for how long I've played since I returned to the game, it has only been a month in. To me, it is effectively a fresh start. Maybe you are right and I need more time on the court to let my body and mind sort this out. At the same time I recognize bad habits started early are hard to break so I want to go into badminton with the right techniques as well as the right mindset. I already received some great tips from MSeeley's first post that I will implement. If there are more tips from you or other posters, I am a ready student.

Urameatball: My situation is different than what you described. There are clear weaknesses in my play right now, but the people I play with are not exploiting them. They do try to at times, but in the rallies they usually do not have the speed and coordination to play against my weaknesses often.

Cobalt: The scoring/winning situation that you and I faced are similar, but the reactions seems different. I am still returning to ready position even though I have a lot of time. I am also checking to see if I am ready to serve, ready to kill the bird, and ready to return. So I am not losing my footwork nor my grip. It is more like the moment right before I strike the bird my body or hands shifts away from the correct position. This is not the same as making incorrect strokes. It is instead like throwing a punch correctly but suddenly diverting the direction at the last minute. So in my backhand serve my racket does the short backstroke and as it moves forward it does not move straight as I expect it to but instead has a last-minute hiccup making the bird die early. Thank you for sharing your experience, I will use it for some reflection as well.

#9 quacky, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Quacky: sounds more like a physical issue to me. Could it be that the muscles are losing some of the tensility after a while of your being on court? Have you tried building a little more muscle mass and elasticity? Do you think that could be the problem?

11. visor

visor Regular Member

" I do noticed that as I get a few points ahead, my opponents lose their readiness most of the time. Their rackets hang more limp and their feet are closer together. It bothers me a bit, not sure in what way. I'll take notice of that more to evaluate my opponent's seriousness effects me. "

From your post above, it does seem like you need to decide how you want to play against your friends in your club: socially or competitively.

I'll understand if you don't like to pound mercilessly on someone weaker in social games (it's not nice :) ). But if you're wanting to play more competitively (as you seem to indicate in your OP), then you need to be merciless and cultivate a killer instinct.

When you see their rackets limp and legs tired, you'll need to put them out of their misery. It doesn't matter if the score is lopsided at 21-10.

12. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    i see what urameatball is getting at now. It sounds as if it is definitely mental quacky, but actually some thing that would help you mentally IS to train hard on your skills. If you trained hard - even if your skills are good - just the training hard and succeeding time after time, will help your mental game. You will be more confident in all of your shots. You will not just feel you won't miss your shots (that you expect not to miss) but you will KNOW you won't miss your shots. Thus, even though you are not improving your skills in quality which you say you are ok with, you are improving in terms of consistency! This may be beneficial for you, but perhaps the other things i suggested are worth trying as well?

I agree with Visor, there may be a slight tendency to not want to crush our friends... i suffer from this problem when i am winning. However, I am normally able to go back into competitive mode immediately when I need to.

Cobalt mentions it may be to do with your muscles... I would go so far as to agree but not for the need to build muscle but the need to train the muscle memory. Once your good low serve you have becomes "automatic" because of the training i mentioned just now, then it is less likely to break down.

In summary: I think you have a good base of mental ideas to go through. More practise is ALWAYS helpful, and would probably solve all the problems listed as potential physical causes by the others, but it would also help you mentally.

Your ideas about Visualization of WHERE the shuttle will go will be extremely helpful. If possible, also imagine what you LOOK like and how you FEEL when you do it correctly. Say to yourself: this shot WILL FEEL like this and it WILL GO over there in this trajectory and your body will attempt to recreate what you see in your mind. You can imagine yourself in the first OR the third person (i.e. through your own eyes OR from outside your body).

Let me know how it all goes :)

13. quacky

quacky Regular Member

Hello again. Thank you for your continued advice everyone.

I think I'm seeing a combination of things. One is inexperience, another is unwillingness to end games with friends,
    and need of higher levels of muscle memory. So I'll keep training for consistency, especially just practicing shots over and over (can't do drills with my friends). Also, I will teach myself to be willing to end games, recognizing that shorter but more numerous games will allow us to play together just as much as half serious but longer games. As for physical problem, right now, I think it's my lack of will effecting my body's flow. I also do light resistance training with 3lbs weights for my rotator cuff, wrist, and elbow to have strength in subtlety. In case anyone else comes to this thread with a similar problem, these next two weeks I'll focus on image training, going over the same shots over and over, resetting points in my mind, and telling myself to play to win first then see how my friends react later. This last part feels hard now that I'm thinking serious about it. If I play honestly and honor my opponents skill, whether I win or lose it may be best for both sides.

As for results of these advice, it will take at least a week since I play on Fridays. And maybe more since patterns of play and thinking are hard to change.

#13 quacky, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    another thought... try pre-loading your critical muscle groups one day in advance since you play just once a week. And some serious stretching earlier on Friday itself. If I dont do the gym, then I just concentrate on squats, half-squats, static and walking lunges, splits, push-ups, arm extensions and pushups for triceps, and finally, abs crunches. That tautens the body and muscles, and the next day I just kind of "remind" them with some serious stretching. It's worked out very well for an old fart like me. :)

15. urameatball

Photographer
    To me, that's a clear sign of lack of stamina, especially the smashes. I've seen quite a few beginners, or even intermediate players who don't play enough suffer from the same symptoms. Their lack of muscles in their forearms allows them to smash well in the beginning, but as the game(s) progresses, they're missing that last bit of wrist flick to bring the bird down and it ends up sailing WAAAAY long.
    I suffered from it when I first started, and my friend who plays less than once a week does the exact same thing (it's very obvious).

Can't say the same thing would affect your serve though, cuz serves barely require any muscle strength. However, one can logically deduce that tired muscles MAY shorten your serve.

do 20 consecutive smashes in your room (no birdie required), repeat every few minutes until your forearm feels like its on fire. Do it whenever commercials come on when you're watching TV :p , I guarantee your smashes will become more consistent.

16. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    but it doesn't make sense that he would be tired, and start missing shots, and then, later in the game, suddenly start MAKING them again. If it were tiredness, he would get worse and worse. But thats not the case. they go flatter when winning, and then get better when losing/even score. That doesn't sound physical to me.

I would also say that a lack of angle in the smash is not, in my opinion, a symptom of lack of forearm muscle, but a lack of getting behind the shuttle. There is no "flick" to bring the shuttle downwards, only a contact further in front of the body which is a point during the swing at which the racket string are facing downwards. Slower movement means you didn't go back as far meaning you didn't get the contact IN FRONT of you meaning the smash becomes flat. Movement problems are probably a physical thing over a mental thing, although when winning it is conceivable that you may "let up" on your opponent and move with less urgency around the court.

The answer: train physically AND mentally.

17. quacky

quacky Regular Member

Cobalt: Would you explain what "pre-loading [the] muscles" mean? I know of preload concrete where it is squeezed into a smaller shape then it should be to keep it under constant pressure effectively increasing it's yeild strenght. If that's what you mean, won't this cause stiffness and slower reflexes. Currently I massage my legs and shoulders earlier in the day before I play to keep my body relaxed and flowing throughout the badminton session. Does preloading mean something else?

Urameatball: I haven't done repetitions of smashes by myself much, only one or two swings to calibrate the motions. I have a question about doing swings without the birds. I am concern that smashing repeatedly without a bird to release that force would cause strain the on joints. What do you think of this?

MSeeley: Yeah, my game will come back when I am losing by a noticable amount. It is a good observation you made about not getting behind the bird enough. The bird doesn't move too quickly in our games, so I can easily get to it. But replaying the shots in my head I am seeing it. When I smash I try to contact it about 6-8 inches in front of me and follow through for another 3-4 inches before release but the flatter smashes are only 3-4 inches in front of me and I can only keep in contact for about 2 more inches before losing the bird. For my height, 5'6'' do you think 6-8 inches is a good range to contact the bird? I usually have plenty of time to get to a bird to smash so I can adjust the distance now that I noticed. The shot that is hardest for me to return are the backhand net drops and the smash. It's rare that my friends do correct smashes so I don't get enough practice (I would like to do drills by may need to find a partner for that). And I can usually get to the net drop but I am not consistent on those.

In addition to do image training and verbally couching myself ("go for the win", "put pressure on the bird", "don't let up"...) do you have other mental training thoughts?

18. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    quacky: the repetitions of smashes that urameatball suggests will not hurt you as long as you remain relaxed throughout the entire swing: i.e. you relax just before the forearm snap, practice the forearm snap that urameatball suggests will help your strength during which time you will also "tighten" your fingers (for finer power), and then immediately relax again afterwards, should protect your arms whilst practising the smashing technique.

As to the smash contact point, 6-8 inches in front seems like a reasonable contact point, whereas 3-4 inches is more like the contact point for an attacking clear or a drop shot (in my opinion). It is a difficult thing to judge without watching you play, but if you are reaching up high and the shuttle does not pass too high above the net, then the contact point is a good one. Reaching up high can be tricky, as there is a tendency to fully extend one or more of your joints. All joints must be slightly bent, in order to keep the arm and body relaxed and hence gain the correct level of power!

Regarding mental training, there are some things you can do to improve your confidence and your mood by associating a simple action with a time when you felt one of these emotions vividly. For example, if you can remember a day you were playing really well, or remember some event that ou were really proud of being a part of/ it gave you great confidence at that point - you could learn to associate these feelings with a simple physical trigger, such as banging the racket with your hand, or squeezing the grip. To do that simply perform the physical action, then think of the occasion that gave you confidence, now magnify that emotion, remember every bit, exaggerate every feeling, and then perform the physical action again. This will make you FEEL those things when you perform the physical action. This could be useful for regaining confidence after losing a tough game, or get you in the right mental state to play.

Regular making and reviewing of goals is also something that will help you mentally become strong, as you will be able to see and clearly judge your progress. This will give you confidence and assure you of your progress, which can sometimes be difficult when you hit a rough patch. The most important part of setting a goal is that it is specific e.g. use only 2 steps to reach forecourt and midcourt, it is measurable, it is realistic, it has a timeframe e.g. 1 month, and most importantly it is RECORDED (i.e. written down).

The last thing i will say for now is to be important of negative thoughts. Saying to yourself "don't hit the serve in the net" or "don't hit the serve short" is a bit like saying "don't think of a pink elephant". You can only NOT think of it, after you have created it in your mind. Thus wording such as "make the shuttle land past the service line" is much more effective than a negative thought.

Hope some of that is useful.

Matt

19. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    oops, double post

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    What I mean is that you should build some effective muscle mass prior to game day. Doing weights or free exercises; I mentioned what I do if I can't make it to the gym. The idea is to make the muscles taut and springy. Some warm-up and stretches before play is also required to ensure that you stay physically in shape throughout play.