Suggestions for opening a store

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by PopsiclePete, Sep 20, 2010.

1. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

Hello everyone,

I am slowly putting a business plan together for opening a badminton exclusive store in my city and am searching for guidance/suggestions/opinions from current store owners or shoppers.

From owners, what were some of the mistakes you made that if you could do again you would not do? How did you judge your competition? Did you contact your competition?

For shoppers, what are some of the things that you would like to see in your current store, whether product or ideas? If you could change a few things, what would they be?

I know these are general questions, but for now this is all I am looking for. I am a business and economic student, finishing up at university. I am confident that the store I will open will be successful, but I am always curious as to what other people think.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Pete

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Beyond the basics, there are two things I would look for in a badminton shop:

• A good racket demo policy (e.g. pay now, try for two weeks, return for a full refund)
    • A good stringer

The demo policy is especially important; few shops have this. A good demo policy has bought my loyalty to a particular store (PWP).

You should also consider putting your shop online, to attract a wider audience. Central Sports does a very good job here.