Flinging backhand low serve of Fu Hai Feng?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by visor, Sep 21, 2010.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

As above title, have you guys noticed that FHF's serve has improved a lot over the past year? He used to frequently serve into the net when under pressure, but now his serves are impeccable.

However, I've noticed that out of all the current MD pro players, he seems to be flinging the shuttle over the net, instead of hitting it. Has anyone else observed this?

If so, I'm wondering is that legal?

2. lilyaks

lilyaks Regular Member

elaborate please... do you mean a flick serve?

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The dynamic chinese duo certainly make good use of the flick serve these days.

But I think visor is seeing a 'slinging' motion (or 'carrying' as some say). It would be nice to see an example of what he means. How about the first serve in this video? Is this what you mean, Doctor V.? :confused: It doesn't look any worse than anyone else's serve.

[video=youtube;zSr6Sigpk00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSr6Sigpk00&feature=related[/video]

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There is nothing wrong with the serve. As a matter of fact this flick-like movement type of serve is ideal for the short serve, the high serve, and the short serve by the man in mixed doubles. It makes it more difficult for the receiver to read your serve.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Hi Fidget, no, that first serve was a flick serve.

Yes, the terms slinging and carrying is what I'm thinking of. As I see it, FHF is the only one of all the pro MD players who serves so differently. There seems to be no (or very little) hitting involved. His racket does not stop or rebound, it just goes in one smooth stroke forward.

Yeah, I should've attached a youtube video. I'll try to look for one, I believe the Paris Open shows the serves better than the China Masters, but for some strange reason it is very rare that the camera focuses on the serves; instead they show the receiver more.

#5 visor, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

Here, found it!

See his serve at 17 seconds into the video clip and tell me what you think.

[video=youtube;y8dley-EXPE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8dley-EXPE&feature=related[/video]

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    These two videos show similar flick-like short serve, not a flicked long or high serve. This type of serve makes it difficult for the receiver to pounce on the serve because he cannot tell if the serve is low or to the back.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    looks clean to me.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- Are you referring to a lack of or very little backward racket movement?..
    - Do you have another video of "pro MD players who serves so differently" than FHF? so we can compare what you're referring to the "racket stop/rebound"?..
    - Yes, it looks legal.

#9 ctjcad, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  10. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    In my opinion, this serve by FHF is very similar to the one used by gao ling. It involves brushing up the back of the shuttle, instead of hitting forwards through the shuttle. Gao Lings serve is much more "obvious" in this sense, because Fu uses such a short hit. however I feel they are using the same technique. This creates some topspin on the shuttle, and hence gives a very nice trajectory for a low serve. Very good for nervous servers.

What do people think? Is it the same as Gao Lings? (she has one of the best serves ever!)

11. GoDLee

GoDLee Regular Member

English teacher
    Players in my club well know me for my weird serves in doubles. Anyone slices the shuttle to serve in doubles ? Effective in order to do a short serve & avoid getting attacked. This is very deceptive on condition that you serve @the right (if you're righthander)to hit the right lane of your opponents court. On the left, you can try to hit the back-right of your opponents court, he might believe it goes out on his partner's side.

thx for the vid MSeeley, i'll do my serves like this from now on I noticewith the vid i'll prolly raise my accuracy for high flick serves cuz i suck at this. I wont stop slicing the shuttle though.

12. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I didn't post the original videos... I personally don't like using slice GoDLee, because i find I get a much better accuracy without it. However, a nice sliced DRIVE serve is very funny, the slice keeps it in the court, but it goes very fast! When i serve, I try to imitate Lars Paaske, the king of servers!

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, the absence of the backward stroke is probably tricking my eyes into thinking that he is slinging it over instead of hitting it over. I think most other players have at least some backward stroke, no?

14. visor

visor Regular Member

I haven't see Gao Ling's but I've seen Xiao Jie's (from her instructional badminton video series with Zhou Jian Hua. ).

XJ holds the shuttle sideways in preparation and hits both the cork and feather skirt at the same time. But there is some back stroke and it looks like she slices it a little.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i think i've done similar type of serve before..