User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

That explains why my strings are completely worn out and then break after only 1 month of playing ... damn

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think "string" is just one of the major "tools" to help us to perform.

If $$$ is an important factor, try to settle down with what we can own right now, and save $$$ for a piece of good string + labor is not as hard as saving for a high end racket. It's like, if u spend $100 to get only 60% performance, but if u spend another $15 more, u get 100%, which one u will pick?

For certain playing style might shorten the life time of string, personally, I don't think we should even bother to think about it. We know rackets, grips, strings won't last forever. As long as we can be careful (try not to clash, hit the ground, toss into air, etc), we should not change our style just to "protect" the equipment. If u r a hard hitter, smash happy, if u r a slice hitter, just drop others dead. If we have to think will I shorten my string by 1/1000 before perform a good return, what's the fun about the game then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LB, I think the main thing to make clear here is that your points are valid so
    long as one slices or hits flat as one intends. I've seen many players who
    slice purely out of habit or just bad technique, killing expensive feather birds
    after just a couple of hits, never mind their strings. The most guilty here in
    my experience are those who regularly play with plastic, and only use feather
    once in a while, since with plastic, you don't get to immediately feel the pain
    of killed bird after power slicing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by nSmash
    I've seen many players who slice purely out of habit or just bad technique, killing expensive feather birds after just a couple of hits, never mind their strings. The most guilty here in my experience are those who regularly play with plastic, and only use feather once in a while, since with plastic, you don't get to immediately feel the pain
    of killed bird after power slicing.
    I see ur point.

To me, I only bring up feather birds when facing ppl I know who can play. In some intense / quality matches, feather birds surely provide the better feeling for strokes, as well as the better "bang" sounds.

For regular warm up, practice, and relatively "social" games with ppl who just get into baddy, I usually use nylon ones. There's no offense to against beginners. Nylon birds are made due to the superior durability. It's good enough for fundamental practice, as well as warm up.

My point is, there's no need to be "cheap" if u need to boost up ur performance. On the other hand, there's no need to "waste" resources, if u surely know beginners can't really perform differently (other than kill birds) with different birds.

Therefore, just spend $$$ smart when it's necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    Therefore, just spend $$$ smart when it's necessary.
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default similar dilemma

My recent acquisition of a TMP990, was pre-strung by my friend who sent me the racquet to 26 pounts. My preference is in 22/23 pound range. Strings are Ashaway microlegend, very good strings. But since the tension was too high, I did not feel comfortable hitting with it, and the tension definitely hurt my wrist.
    So - it's a great string job, but I did not like playing with it. So the racquet sits for a while as I decide it's fate. Cut the nice strings, and restring it myself? Well, I was just too busy/lazy to do it, and I really did hate wasting the string job.
    I finally bottom lined it by taking the racquet and did a half hour of hard smashing drills on my wife. The string lost enough tension that to me it now feels alright, and my stroke just changed to accomodate it. So not going to cut it after all. Maybe just being too lazy helps.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: similar dilemma

Originally posted by badrad

I finally bottom lined it by taking the racquet and did a half hour of hard smashing drills on my wife. The string lost enough tension that to me it now feels alright, and my stroke just changed to accomodate it. So not going to cut it after all. Maybe just being too lazy helps.
    Errr... Unique way to reduce tension... However, it will lose 2-3 lbs (26 ---> 23) just after 30 mins of hard hitting?

BTW, consider u r such a good stringer, I just wonder which will take more engergy from u: hard hitting for 30 min or stringing a racket???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Re: similar dilemma

Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    Errr... Unique way to reduce tension... However, it will lose 2-3 lbs (26 ---> 23) just after 30 mins of hard hitting?

BTW, consider u r such a good stringer, I just wonder which will take more engergy from u: hard hitting for 30 min or stringing a racket???

Wow, what kind of mean smashing can take 2-3lbs off a string in 30 mins
    without breaking it?

LB, I think maybe badrad finds more fun hard-hitting than stringing although
    I'm not sure if the fun mostly comes from the "smashing" part or "on/at his
    wife" part. Hehe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, the tension did not dropped 2 or 3 pounds, but it is lower than the original strung tension. I estimate roughly 1 to 1.5 pounds difference. I referenced it with another racquet newly strung at 25 pounds.

as for the smashing it's more fun, than cutting the string. Also I was supposed to do a test of the racquet for my friend. He wanted me to critique his string job, and test the racquet out. For me, i was just too damn lazy... had other string jobs to do, and didn't want to bother with my own.

my wife and I do the drill where she stands at the net, lifts to me in the back court and i smash straight at her. she shoves the bird right into my body, and then the fun begins, we try win the rally. no lifting, no drops - just drives or outright kill shot. when she kill shots, I try to return if all possible. I lose if i drive it over her head (sails in which case a mixed doubles situation would kill it anyways) or she hits me outright. she loses if she drives it out the back court or i hit her.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2