Who would cut a perfectly good set of strings?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Pecheur, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Here's the scenario:

You bought a new racquet that came strung with in this case BG65 at I think 21lbs by an okay stringer, but not as good as you're used to.

Being BG 65 the tension has dropped a couple of lbs.

You've always disliked BG 65 as a string since it loses tension fast, has bugger all feel, and little power, even if it lasts you forever.

You usually have your strings a couple of lbs tighter.

You have a fair few spare strings that you do like (BG66 in my case).

You have to pay for stringing :(

You don't use your new shiny racquet because (you think) the strings mean that the racquet is underpowered and lacks feel and you think that you're repaired older racquet plays much better.

Would you cut an immaculate set of strings? Seems like a waste, however it's also a waste to have a new racquet which you aren't using because of the strings.

PS please substitute any combination of strings to suit your circumstance.

#1 Pecheur, Feb 24, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2003
  2. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    imo just suck it up and play badminton. If your not having any torniments just play with it.

3. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    If the difference is too noticible, I'd cut it.

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I'd cut it if it was affecting your performance that much. If not then why cut it? I personally like the BG65's at high tensions.

5. Pre-emptive

Pre-emptive Regular Member

I will definitely cut it. I cut the BG88ti in my MP90 a couple weeks ago and restrung it with 68ti hoping it to be a better match. The result was quite disappointing. I am cutting the 68ti again and going to restring it with Gosen BS806.

6. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    ME!!! I've never broken a string up to date, it's always been cut cuz tension is lowered to the point where I cant land my stronger smashes in ne more -.-"

7. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    and what kind of string do you use?? maybe i should invest in some... i break my strings really often.....

8. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    CUT CUT CUT!!...

Cause if you are not used to the tension and string. It will affect your play, then you will start thinking your skills are deteriorating and you will start to lose interest.

Well that's what happened to me....haha

9. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Maybe Jchen used BG65 or BG70 at SUPER LOW TENSIONS!!!...:cool:

I could never break my strings with BG65 at 19lbs.....but that was 2 years ago...when I started playing....:rolleyes:

10. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I've tried BG68Ti/BG70Pro/BG80/BG85
    If you break ur string really often because you use slices a lot, I suggest u stay away from Ti Coated string, my friend broke a BG68Ti after 3 hrs of play... -.-"

Zero, ever since I've started playing(even back when I cound't hit ne birds) I've always had my racket strung at 22lbs(minimum) I've tried out a few different strings, and have settled mainly onto the BG70Pro and BG80(I still prefer 70Pro over 80)

I'm thinking of cutting the string on the Ti-10SP right now, but I dont think I can find anyone willing to string it at ~25lbs or more

11. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

If you had a cup of Pepsi, but you like Coke, and you only have one clean cut, what would you do? I'd say dump it out.

12. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Well....I'll be glad to do the cutting, but only if it's not my racquet. LOL. Good example, bigredlemon. lol. :D :D

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I'd cut the strings and get the racquet restrung.

No point in using equipment that you're not comfortable with.

If you are trying to look at things economically, well, you have a job and earning money. You play to a fairly good level so changing strings will make a difference.

If you were a high school student on limited budget and just learning the game, I'd say keep the strings.

14. tonten

tonten Regular Member

Student
    hey Pecheur

I'm in the exact situation you are

I bought a new racket during christmas and they strung it with BG 65

and I have only used it once and that was for 1 game last week because I had leant my old racket to someone

The strings and the grip which came with the racket makes me feel very unconfortable (although surprisingly, I still won that game last week)

I'm actually going to change the grip tommorow, as I can dish out 10.00 for that, but as for the strings, I think I have to get use to them until they break because there's no point in changing them when they are still brand new (even though I don't like BG65).

As a student, you can do alot of things with 25 dollars hehe

15. ronk

ronk Regular Member

If you have not played with the BG65 much, can you get a stringer to tighten the strings for free? A racket stringer told me that he could raise the tension if I find the racket too loose but he cannot reduce the tension. I read in a thread somewhere in this forum that it is possible to increase the tension but the strings can break easily after that (if it breaks, you can justify restringing the racket). Anyway, the BG 65 and BG 66 do not differ all that much, but what do I know.

I would just get used to the tension rather than restringing the racket as I do not restring rackets unless the strings breaks. Given how hard and expensive it is to get rackets strung where I live, frivolous restringing is not an option. I just play until the strings break and I keep rotating rackets so they all get lower in tension and I get used to all of them at lower tensions. As you can guess, I am not the most discriminating racket user (but I like nice new shinny rackets :D).

Ron

16. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

I'm curious...why does slicing break strings more often than smashing ? :confused:

17. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Slicing causes the cross and main strings to brush against one other,
    causing friction and quicker wear.

18. Cruxradio

Cruxradio Regular Member

Guess they never recovered from jet-lag
    That explains why my strings are completely worn out and then break after only 1 month of playing ... damn

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think "string" is just one of the major "tools" to help us to perform.

If $$$ is an important factor, try to settle down with what we can own right now, and save $$$ for a piece of good string + labor is not as hard as saving for a high end racket. It's like, if u spend $100 to get only 60% performance, but if u spend another $15 more, u get 100%, which one u will pick?

For certain playing style might shorten the life time of string, personally, I don't think we should even bother to think about it. We know rackets, grips, strings won't last forever. As long as we can be careful (try not to clash, hit the ground, toss into air, etc), we should not change our style just to "protect" the equipment. If u r a hard hitter, smash happy, if u r a slice hitter, just drop others dead. If we have to think will I shorten my string by 1/1000 before perform a good return, what's the fun about the game then?

20. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    LB, I think the main thing to make clear here is that your points are valid so
    long as one slices or hits flat as one intends. I've seen many players who
    slice purely out of habit or just bad technique, killing expensive feather birds
    after just a couple of hits, never mind their strings. The most guilty here in
    my experience are those who regularly play with plastic, and only use feather
    once in a while, since with plastic, you don't get to immediately feel the pain
    of killed bird after power slicing.