User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 64
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vacation Home @ Disney World
    Posts
    2,128
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    i saw that in a newspaper
    but i cant found it online
    the newspaper call:东方日报
    chinese press
    hope someone found it and post here
    Hard evidence of child labor at India Coomonwealth Games are on CNN.com

    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...bor/index.html

    If you google or bing, there are tons of pictures,




    even little girls









  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vacation Home @ Disney World
    Posts
    2,128
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This kid should be under 5, already working for the construction of the Commonwealth Games.

    From what I read, there are 2 kinds of child labors, one is organized by some people to use cheap Child labors to save cost. Those children worked together, managed by the company. The other is the family got contract, then the family worked as a whole, every members in the family, husband, wife and all the children work together for the project. That's just my observation, could be wrong.

    Name:  ind1.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  66.7 KB

  3. #20
    Regular Member suetyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Akihabara
    Posts
    8,036
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    wow, child labor case involves here again after Nike raising the issues of child labor.

  4. #21
    Regular Member lcleing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    842
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I won't be surprised. I remembered reading a new articles reporting that most of the people in India have it tough. I tried to dig out the news(it was from one of the Chinese press) but I can't find it anymore.

    Most illerate women are forced to do labour work(building roads) under scorching hot sun in India. Pregnant women are not spared and they work, delivered the babies at the side of the road and continue working right after delivery(due to low paid). The children would have to work not too long after they learn how to walk, else they would probabbly die of hunger.

    This issue of child labour behind commonwealth game is just the tip of iceberg. It had happened long time before and is still happening in South Asia. It's sad but what can you do? However, it's ironic to note that British go on strike from time to time(I am talking about you staff of British airway, stop hiding!) just because they believed their should get a higher paid. That leave me speechless, really.

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Malaysia BOLEH...!!!
    Posts
    4,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    thanks for sharing. I find it hard to swallow the facts that they are "hiring" under-aged kids to work at those construction sites for CWG. How could they (the authorities) allow this inhumane act to take place? For GOD sake, these kids are as young as age 5...??? I can't believe my eyes... God bless them (those kids)...

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Competition
    Posts
    18,284
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is unfortunate but very common in India. Not that they actually "hire" kids (except kids who live by themselves - like the Slumdog Millionaire story), but mums and dads with kids had to bring them to work because there's no one to babysit the kids. In the culture where you don't eat if you don't work, there isn't much choice.

    Most of these construction workers do not have proper homes and stay by the roadside in small tents where they work.

    Count our blessings that we were not subjected to the same conditions when we were kids.

  7. #24
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,665
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abedeng View Post
    This is unfortunate but very common in India. Not that they actually "hire" kids (except kids who live by themselves - like the Slumdog Millionaire story), but mums and dads with kids had to bring them to work because there's no one to babysit the kids. In the culture where you don't eat if you don't work, there isn't much choice.

    Most of these construction workers do not have proper homes and stay by the roadside in small tents where they work.

    Count our blessings that we were not subjected to the same conditions when we were kids.
    This is much the correct perspective, rather than the sensationalizing of some reporters and photojournalists who do what they do for their own living. Also, remember that the people who work as labourers have been doing so for generations; they need to keep their young ones close to them to watch over them. And they genuinely believe it's better for them to learn early, because they know of no other way to earn a living. Sad, but oh so true. Poverty and lack of education are siblings.

    Poorer countries have had population issues not because of their libido. But because of the simple dictum that "many hands make light work" and they could only rely on their own family for ages, where feudalism and hunger would make animals of otherwise sane people.

    Oh and BTW, I wouldn't believe that the organizing committee actually hired child labour. Some of them may be shrewd and self-serving, but not stupid.

  8. #25
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,675
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow There is child protection policy in India

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    This is much the correct perspective, rather than the sensationalizing of some reporters and photojournalists who do what they do for their own living. Also, remember that the people who work as labourers have been doing so for generations; they need to keep their young ones close to them to watch over them. And they genuinely believe it's better for them to learn early, because they know of no other way to earn a living. Sad, but oh so true. Poverty and lack of education are siblings.

    Poorer countries have had population issues not because of their libido. But because of the simple dictum that "many hands make light work" and they could only rely on their own family for ages, where feudalism and hunger would make animals of otherwise sane people.

    Oh and BTW, I wouldn't believe that the organizing committee actually hired child labour. Some of them may be shrewd and self-serving, but not stupid.
    .
    Actually, there is child protection policy in India, as shown in this link;
    http://www.unicef.org/india/child_protection.html

    But somehow, India is rather slow to implement this policy/program.
    .

  9. #26
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,918
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abedeng View Post
    This is unfortunate but very common in India. Not that they actually "hire" kids (except kids who live by themselves - like the Slumdog Millionaire story), but mums and dads with kids had to bring them to work because there's no one to babysit the kids. In the culture where you don't eat if you don't work, there isn't much choice.

    Most of these construction workers do not have proper homes and stay by the roadside in small tents where they work.

    Count our blessings that we were not subjected to the same conditions when we were kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    This is much the correct perspective, rather than the sensationalizing of some reporters and photojournalists who do what they do for their own living. Also, remember that the people who work as labourers have been doing so for generations; they need to keep their young ones close to them to watch over them. And they genuinely believe it's better for them to learn early, because they know of no other way to earn a living. Sad, but oh so true. Poverty and lack of education are siblings.

    Poorer countries have had population issues not because of their libido. But because of the simple dictum that "many hands make light work" and they could only rely on their own family for ages, where feudalism and hunger would make animals of otherwise sane people.

    Oh and BTW, I wouldn't believe that the organizing committee actually hired child labour. Some of them may be shrewd and self-serving, but not stupid.
    thank you for sharing that information. now looking from a different perspective, i am seeing the issue in a totally different manner.

    sometimes it is easy for us who live in prosperous countries with higher level of income and education to criticize others. however, when we start putting ourselves in other people's situation, we gain more understanding into why things are that way in other places, and start to realize that when one is poor, one don't necessarily do things out of choice, but for survival.

    it is quite sad indeed.

  10. #27
    Regular Member Thom_bad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    2,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  11. #28
    Regular Member george@chongwei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    29,946
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    And now, monkeys come to the rescue..

    ‘Super Monkey’ security guards to chase away smaller simians

    NEW DELHI: Delhi authorities are to deploy a contingent of langurs (pic) – a large type of monkey – at Commonwealth Games venues to help chase away smaller simians from the sporting extravaganza.
    From today 10 langurs will be put on duty outside several Games venues in the Indian capital, with the swimming complex seen as particularly vulnerable to monkey misbehaviour, an official said.

    The New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) has a regular team of 28 langurs which are used to scare away their weaker brethren in VIP areas of the city.
    “From tomorrow onwards we will increase the number of langurs from 28 to 38. The additional langurs will take care of the Games venues and other important areas,” an NDMC official told the Press Trust of India news agency.
    Animals have so far posed major headaches for the under-fire organisers, with stray dogs found in venues and a snake captured at the tennis complex.
    Monkeys are a common sight in the verdant Indian capital, where they routinely scamper through government offices, courts and even police stations and hospitals.
    In 2007, the deputy mayor of New Delhi died from a fatal fall after being attacked by a group on the terrace of his home. — AFP


    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...237&sec=sports

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Photos on child labour at CWG sites

    The CWG Village and at least 4 stadiums lie in the route from my home to my workplace. And I am yet to see a child working in any place. Labourers are poor and they take their kids with them when they are working. The pictures you see are kids playing in sand (like any small kid wants to do, play in dirt). They are not working - no matter how hard the cameramen tried making it look that way. The photos where you actually see kids working are not from CWG places. I doubt if they are from Delhi itself. There are loads of cases of children working in construction industry and other, but no one would dare to do that in Delhi. Police is strict, media is stricter.
    There is lot of mismanagement and negative publicity about these games. But I hate to see this being dragged to such level by some media. Just because one event could not be arranged in a proper manner does not mean everything related to that country is poor and a-la 18th century. Actually such news and talks remind me how much prejudice and narrow-minded people could be while discussing alien culture. But believe me, even if you show me photos, I will not think every Chinese practice Kung Fu and eat only noodles and rides bicycle.

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    And now, monkeys come to the rescue..

    ‘Super Monkey’ security guards to chase away smaller simians

    NEW DELHI: Delhi authorities are to deploy a contingent of langurs (pic) – a large type of monkey – at Commonwealth Games venues to help chase away smaller simians from the sporting extravaganza.
    From today 10 langurs will be put on duty outside several Games venues in the Indian capital, with the swimming complex seen as particularly vulnerable to monkey misbehaviour, an official said.

    The New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) has a regular team of 28 langurs which are used to scare away their weaker brethren in VIP areas of the city.
    “From tomorrow onwards we will increase the number of langurs from 28 to 38. The additional langurs will take care of the Games venues and other important areas,” an NDMC official told the Press Trust of India news agency.
    Animals have so far posed major headaches for the under-fire organisers, with stray dogs found in venues and a snake captured at the tennis complex.
    Monkeys are a common sight in the verdant Indian capital, where they routinely scamper through government offices, courts and even police stations and hospitals.
    In 2007, the deputy mayor of New Delhi died from a fatal fall after being attacked by a group on the terrace of his home. — AFP


    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...237&sec=sports
    Believe me they are the most effective (apart from shooting) and humane way to counter monkeys. And yes, we have monkeys in India. In fact India is amongst the 12 most bio-diverse country in world (source WWF).

  14. #31
    Regular Member Thom_bad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    2,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    are these monkeys usually very dangerous ?

  15. #32
    Regular Member george@chongwei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    29,946
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vpsingh View Post
    Believe me they are the most effective (apart from shooting) and humane way to counter monkeys. And yes, we have monkeys in India. In fact India is amongst the 12 most bio-diverse country in world (source WWF).
    What do they meant by smaller simians? India got a lot?

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    What do they meant by smaller simians? India got a lot?
    Smaller simians - smaller monkeys - usually red faced, hostile when in groups, very mischievous and smart (they know it is easy to target kids and stupid to target a grown male human), small scale performer tame them for show (illegal). Migrate towards cities because they can get food easier in trash dumps and human localties compared to ever shrinking forests.
    Langurs - larger black faced and long tailed, friendlier towards human, don't allow other kinds of monkeys in their areas - so good if you want to drive red faced monkeys. Mentioned in Hindu mythology epic of Ramayana where they helped Lord Rama (so revered by Hindus).
    Delhi has two wooded areas (not big enough to be called forests) inside its boundaries, which are host to many kind of animals - monkeys, deers, foxes, reptiles. I have lived 20 years in Delhi, never seen anything apart from a gang of lost monkey.

  17. #34
    Regular Member Thom_bad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    2,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    and we Europeans are scared when seing a small spyder...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The "U", the "G" and the "tension" specifications of a Badminton racket
    By chris-ccc in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 85
    : 07-07-2014, 05:54 AM
  2. How do you define the difference "power" & "speed" regarding rackets?
    By Robin76 in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 3
    : 11-17-2011, 09:54 PM
  3. WTB: new APACS "Nano 9000 Speed" URGENT NEED! in Melbourne, Australia
    By nhwang in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 0
    : 08-07-2010, 01:01 PM
  4. 15th Asian Games Doha 2006 "Badminton Schedule"
    By jiayou in forum Asian Games 2006 - Badminton
    Replies: 6
    : 11-28-2006, 06:55 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    : 11-22-2006, 04:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •