User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

and don't always trust the "bottled" water either for drinking, unless you've bought it from a place that looks reputable...

However, if you have the stomach for the food, its great! If you're in an adventurous fame of mind, one of the places to snack out at is Bengali Market. Of course, Delhi is dotted with places big and small that serve excellent butter chicken as well.
    Last edited by cobalt; 10-02-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thom_bad View Post
    BBC News : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11403204

Games should not have gone to Delhi, says Australia

Australia's Olympic Committee president has said the Commonwealth Games should not have been awarded to Delhi.
    John Coates said the Commonwealth Games Federation lacked the resources to monitor progress and to ensure that construction deadlines were met.
    England have become the first overseas team to reach Delhi, but other nations have delayed their arrivals.
    A New Zealand cyclist became the first member of his nation's team to pull out because of health and safety fears.

Greg Henderson, who has won four medals at previous Games, cancelled on Friday, citing concerns over the state of facilities - a day after four British cyclists withdrew from the 3-14 October competition.

....please click on the link to get the full story
    The British thought differently.

CWG village better than Beijing: England Chef de Mission
    PTI, Sep 16, 2010, 09.44pm IST

NEW DELHI: England's Chef de mission Craig Hunter on Thursday said the arrangements at the Delhi Games village is much better as compared to the Beijing Olympics.
    "The Commonwealth Games Village here is better than the Beijing Olympics," Hunter told reporters, adding that the Delhi Games would set a high standard for the hosts of London Olympics 2012.
    "Every Games Village has progressed and this one sets a new standard. In other Games villages four athletes use one bathroom, whereas here only two would share one bathroom. Even the training facilities are wonderful," added Hunter, who has been staying in the capital for the last four days.
    The Chef de Mission was also all praise for some Games venues, terming those as world class.
    Asked about the security concerns, Hunter said: "We are happy with the arrangements and I can say that the pullouts of the players were not due to security or any other reasons."
    "Security has always been an issue since 1972 Munich Olympic disaster. Some of the athletes, who opted out did so due to packed international calendar and injuries. However, we do have some Olympic and World Champions coming for CWG 2010."

Read more: CWG village better than Beijing: England Chef de Mission - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...#ixzz11F3SjMNl

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wales delighted with transition at CWG Village

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...ow/6671363.cms

"I am really quite impressed with the transition," Jenkins said.

"I had come here two weeks ago and thing were really quite chaotic. But the athletes who came here three days ago are absolutely delighted with the residential wings and also the training facilities. The food is also quite good.

"The venues are outstanding and we are really looking forward to competing there," he added.

The team is hoping to double their gold count at Games and according to team manager Brian Davies, Wales would look to at least double their haul of three gold medals won at the previous Games at Melbourne.

Wales has come in with about 150 athletes who will participate in archery, badminton, lawn bowls, wrestling, women's hockey, shooting and table tennis.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up The opening ceremony went well

News received from India to Australia said that the opening ceremony went well.

Hope that India can host this 2010 Commonwealth Games successfully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised TS doesn't show any feature

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Hope that BCers who are there at the Badminton venue can update us with info

Quote Originally Posted by Thom_bad View Post
    I'm surprised TS doesn't show any feature
    Let us hope that BCers who are there at the Badminton venue can update us with info.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2010/12/1/sports/20101201161856&sec=sports

Indian police raid top Commonwealth Games officials
    NEW DELHI (AP) - Indian police raided the homes and offices of two top organizers of the recent Commonwealth Games following accusations that that they paid exorbitant rates for buying equipment from a Swiss company, an official said Wednesday.

"During searches (on Tuesday) voluminous incriminating documents have been recovered. The investigation and searches are in progress," said R.K. Gaur, a spokesman for the Central Bureau of Investigation.

India had hoped to boost its international reputation by hosting the Oct. 3-14 Commonwealth Games but instead the event was overshadowed by allegations of corruption, construction delays and cost overruns. The CBI last week registered cases of conspiracy and cheating against the two officials, V.K. Verma and Lalit Bhanot.

It accused them of causing a huge loss to the Indian government by paying 1.07 billion rupees ($23 million) to Swiss Timings Limited for purchasing a timing, scoring and result system which was available at a much cheaper rate from a Spain-based company.

"The Spain-based company was allegedly wrongfully eliminated at prequalification bid stage," the CBI said in a statement.

Both Verma and Bhanot denied any wrongdoing and said they acted with due diligence while awarding contracts for the games.

The CBI earlier this month arrested three games organizing committee officials, M. Jayachandran, T.S. Darbari and Sanjay Mahendroo, accusing them of forgery and cheating over the awarding of games-related contracts.

The cost of hosting the event ballooned to around $15 billion from the original estimated $412 million. The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party alleged millions were siphoned by companies run by relatives of Games officials.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

!!??!!??!!??. This post has made me both curious and angry.
    1. Those child labor pics? I travel everyday and almost the whole city in a week. I have never seen anything like 5 year olds working. It is true that there is some amount of child labor due to poverty but govt has provided free schooling with free meals, clothes, and books. They even show them a movie once in a while.

2 Those pictures of the courtyard are just after a very heavy shower. It is true that in some places the construction was rather late started, but the criticism has brought media from across to globe to focus only on the negative aspect.

3. The money scandal and snakes in rooms, dirty rooms etc were all a mischief of an [ex] official known as Suresh Kalmadi who has literally GOBBLED upon all that money, for gaining more publicity for an unexplained reason.

BUT!!!!!
    If you saw the closing ceremony on 14th Oct, [it happens to be on YouTube too] Many athletes claimed that the service provided was the best they have ever experienced.... Many athletes also [in an interview] asked the media regarding the so called lousy rooms etc. as they were not present at all, all was resolved peacefully and the games were 95% successful. I am 5% unsuccessful because of all these misunderstandings and all that money eaten....

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default India arrests chief organizer of scandal-plagued Commonwealth Games

By C. Rajshekhar Rao, The Associated Press | The Canadian Press 28 minutes ago

NEW DELHI - Indian officials arrested the chief organizer of last year's Commonwealth Games on Monday as part of a corruption investigation into the scandal-plagued competition in New Delhi.

India had hoped that the Games would help it project the image of a rising superpower, but instead it was deeply embarrassed by corruption allegations, construction delays and cost overruns as the budget ballooned to 700 billion rupees ($15 billion) from an estimated 18.9 billion rupees ($412 million).
    Suresh Kalmadi, the highest-ranking member of the organizing committee to be arrested, has been charged with conspiracy for allegedly favouring a Swiss company in the purchase of equipment for timing and scoring events, Central Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Dharini Mishra said.
    Two other officials on the Games organizing committee Lalit Bhanot and V.K. Verma had been arrested earlier in the same case.
    The bureau the Indian equivalent of the FBI claims the government was bilked out of 1.41 billion rupees ($31 million), paid to Swiss Timings Ltd. for equipment available from another company for much less.

Full report:
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/indian-inve...113741475.html

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up The bureau the Indian equivalent of the FBI has done well

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    By C. Rajshekhar Rao, The Associated Press | The Canadian Press 28 minutes ago

NEW DELHI - Indian officials arrested the chief organizer of last year's Commonwealth Games on Monday as part of a corruption investigation into the scandal-plagued competition in New Delhi.

India had hoped that the Games would help it project the image of a rising superpower, but instead it was deeply embarrassed by corruption allegations, construction delays and cost overruns as the budget ballooned to 700 billion rupees ($15 billion) from an estimated 18.9 billion rupees ($412 million).

Suresh Kalmadi, the highest-ranking member of the organizing committee to be arrested, has been charged with conspiracy for allegedly favouring a Swiss company in the purchase of equipment for timing and scoring events, Central Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Dharini Mishra said.

Two other officials on the Games organizing committee Lalit Bhanot and V.K. Verma had been arrested earlier in the same case.

The bureau the Indian equivalent of the FBI claims the government was bilked out of 1.41 billion rupees ($31 million), paid to Swiss Timings Ltd. for equipment available from another company for much less.

Full report:
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/indian-inve...113741475.html
    Having some free time today, I found this post.

All I can say is: It cannot be real when an estimated $412 million project can be ballooned into a $15 billion final cost.

No wonder an investigation was called for.
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 05-13-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Delhi has simply lost Commonwealth Games legacy
    S. Kannan New Delhi, October 2, 2011

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/d.../1/153426.html

Excerpts:

...Almost a year later, people do remember the quadrennial sporting event, but for all the wrong reasons. The number of times the word "corruption" has been used in relation to the Games, it is not funny at all.

... As the talk veers to India's preparation for the 2012 London Olympics, it is worth pondering over what exactly happened to those world-class stadia which were built in the Capital.

... Sadly, if roofs were leaking then during rains and the field of play had many glitches, one year later, all these stadia are in a sorry state. Several meetings were held among government officials as to what would be the legacy value of the Games and how these venues could be used.

I can tell you with assurance that most of the CWG venues in the Capital are in shambles, the maintenance is pathetic and they are hardly in a state of use. Just to check if I was getting it right, I actually asked some of my colleagues and other friends in sporting circles how these venues have been put to use.

Most people drew a blank as the Capital has virtually been starved of major sporting competition after the CWG. The Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, referred to as a marvellous piece of work, has not seen any major athletics event.

Insiders say the running track is damaged and the venue is gathering dust. It's almost as sad as it was when the original stadium, built for the 1982 Asian Games, had to be broken down, which I witnessed.

... I don't think so much money has been wasted anywhere in the world. After the Games, we were wondering what would be the gains from it. It certainly has not been the people of Delhi getting sport- conscious or more sporting events being held in the Capital.

Post CWG, if people have really worked hard, it's not the Indian sporting champions in the Capital but officers in the Comptroller and Auditor General's ( CAG) office. They are the ones who had to painstakingly compile a report on the Games fraud and related mess.

Just to jog the readers' memory, these Games cost us in excess of ` 28,000 crore (approx US $5,688,166,582 or US $5.68 billion) An amount of ` 687 crore (approx US $ 139,563,230 or US $ 139.5 million) was earmarked for the preparation of Indian athletes and not more than one- third was used up.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down It's such a shame

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Delhi has simply lost Commonwealth Games legacy
    S. Kannan New Delhi, October 2, 2011

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/d.../1/153426.html

Excerpts:

...Almost a year later, people do remember the quadrennial sporting event, but for all the wrong reasons. The number of times the word "corruption" has been used in relation to the Games, it is not funny at all.

... As the talk veers to India's preparation for the 2012 London Olympics, it is worth pondering over what exactly happened to those world-class stadia which were built in the Capital.

... Sadly, if roofs were leaking then during rains and the field of play had many glitches, one year later, all these stadia are in a sorry state. Several meetings were held among government officials as to what would be the legacy value of the Games and how these venues could be used.

I can tell you with assurance that most of the CWG venues in the Capital are in shambles, the maintenance is pathetic and they are hardly in a state of use. Just to check if I was getting it right, I actually asked some of my colleagues and other friends in sporting circles how these venues have been put to use.

Most people drew a blank as the Capital has virtually been starved of major sporting competition after the CWG. The Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, referred to as a marvellous piece of work, has not seen any major athletics event.

Insiders say the running track is damaged and the venue is gathering dust. It's almost as sad as it was when the original stadium, built for the 1982 Asian Games, had to be broken down, which I witnessed.

... I don't think so much money has been wasted anywhere in the world. After the Games, we were wondering what would be the gains from it. It certainly has not been the people of Delhi getting sport- conscious or more sporting events being held in the Capital.

Post CWG, if people have really worked hard, it's not the Indian sporting champions in the Capital but officers in the Comptroller and Auditor General's ( CAG) office. They are the ones who had to painstakingly compile a report on the Games fraud and related mess.

Just to jog the readers' memory, these Games cost us in excess of ` 28,000 crore (approx US $5,688,166,582 or US $5.68 billion) An amount of ` 687 crore (approx US $ 139,563,230 or US $ 139.5 million) was earmarked for the preparation of Indian athletes and not more than one- third was used up.
    It's such a shame. - When there are people involved in sports just for the sole purpose of making money.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4